Responsible for instructing swimming lessons in accordance with City and department policies.
1. Instructs swimming lessons according to the Grapevine Swim Program lesson plans.
2. Maintains class rosters and checklists and take attendance on a daily basis.
3. Presents, demonstrates, and teaches material in one on one and small group situations.
4. Performs general housekeeping practices in the aquatic facility.
5. Performs administrative and aquatic services required at the facility, including scheduling and teaching swim lessons, supervising group activities, and helping with other aquatic programs.
6. Ensures the safety of class participants, supervises participant activities and Swim Lesson Aides.
7. Effectively interprets and implements the Grapevine Swim Curriculum and guidelines to match those of the department and exercise good judgment to ensure a safe environment for participants.
8. Attends all in-service training and continuing education as directed by the Department.
9. Works various shifts and provide support for other areas of the Parks and Recreation Department as needed.
10. Performs related duties as directed when such duties are a logical and appropriate assignment to the position.
11. Regular and timely attendance are required for this position.
12. Interacts professionally and respectfully with the public, coworkers, and others in the course of daily work.
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES
• Must be able to successfully demonstrate all skills for the level being taught.
• Must be able to deal effectively with the public.
• Must have effective oral communication skills.
• Ability to work outside in inclement weather, including high heat and humidity, for multiple hours with few breaks.
• Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions.
• Must have good written and oral communication skills and be able to communicate effectively with parents and youth.
• Must be able to demonstrate excellent customer service skills.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS
Minimum age 16.
Swimming instruction experience preferred.
Related pool operations or program experience preferred.
Must obtain an American Red Cross Water Safety Instructor or Basic Swim Instructor certification or equivalent certification recognized and approved by the Aquatic Supervisor, such as, but not limited to BSA, YMCA, JES (Jeff Ellis Swimming), Emler Swim Schools, or Starfish Aquatic Institute prior to teaching any lessons.
Recertification may be obtained after being hired for the job but prior to teaching any lessons.
Certifications must be maintained while employed in the job.
Must pass a Federal/National criminal background check.
Must pass a pre-employment basic physical, drug screen, and functional assessment screening (Level 2).
While performing the essential functions of this position, there may be routine and frequent exposure to:
• Bright/dim light
• Dusts and pollen
• Extreme heat and/or cold
• Wet or humid conditions
• Extreme noise levels
• Fumes and/or noxious odors
• Toxic/caustic chemicals
• Other extreme hazards not listed above
Safety equipment such as gloves, goggles, hard hats, safety vests, steel-toe boots, back support belts, and seat belts are provided and must be worn as required by department procedures and good safety practices.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This job entails moderate physical labor, which requires strength and agility. While performing the duties of this job, the employee frequently is required to stand; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and talk and hear. The employee is occasionally required to sit. The employee must occasionally lift, and carry 15 to 50 pounds and exert up to 45 pounds of force. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the person assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties, and skills required. This job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and the employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and the job requirements change.