DEPARTMENT: Behavioral Health
POSITION: Patient Care Coordinator
REPORTS TO: Director of Behavioral Health
DEFINITION: Under the general supervision of the Director of Integrated Behavioral Health, the Patient Care Coordinator will work to improve patient outcomes through coordinating care.
1. High School diploma or its equivalent.
2. Some experience in the Behavioral Health Field preferred.
3. Ability to project a positive, concerned image to the public.
4. Speak, read, write and comprehend fluent English.
5. Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite with preferred knowledge of Next-Gen Electronic Health Records, and professional phone etiquette.
6. Ability to remain calm and courteous in a high stress environment and in dealing with the general public.
7. Willingness and ability to travel to different council clinics to perform work.
8. Ability to work independently with a minimum of direction.
9. Excellent oral and written communication skills.
10. Excellent interpersonal skills and time management skills, ability to work effectively in a fast pace environment, with rapidly shifting priorities and competing demand.
11. Excellent organizational skills, excellent attention to detail and ability to provide timely follow-up.
EXAMPLE OF DUTIES:
1. CARE COORDINATORS will work with the patient/family/caregiver on developing and updating an individual care plan that addresses whole person care. The care plan specifies the services offered by and responsibilities of WOHC and integrates with a plan created by non-primary care specialty practice to avoid potential overlap or gap in services and care.
A care plan considers and specifies various areas related to a patient’s care, which include:
2. CARE COORDINATORS will identify patients with social determinants of health by screening assessment to identify: homelessness, self-care disability, food insecurity, enrollment in WIC program, , violence or abuse, migrant or seasonal workers, low literacy, language preferred not English, needs, access to educational, economic and job opportunities, public safety, social support, exposures to crime, and violence. This will be documented in the medical chart and will be reviewed to identify patients who require higher levels of care managements.
3. CARE COORDINATORS will be able to follow standard protocols to make referrals, to both internal and external entities.
4. CARE COORDINATORS will update and maintain registry of patients, using a robust tracking system that can follow patients.
5. CARE COORDINATORS will participate in health coaching including activities such as: medication adherence, counseling patients on healthy behaviors, and providing patients with general support.
1. Attends work regularly and punctually; is readily accessible during work hours to peers; limits absences from own duty stations and limits visits and activities which distract others from their performance of duties.
2. Works cooperatively with immediate supervisor, with department members, and with other Council staff persons, as required
3. Treats all patients / clients / visitors with respect and courtesy.
4. Remains competent in skills required for position.
5. During the initial thirty (30) days of employment, becomes and remains knowledgeable about and in compliance with the Council's and Department policies and procedures in the following areas:
a. Confidentiality of patient / client / fellow employee and supplier records
b. Patient's rights and responsibilities.
c. Professional and business ethics.
d. Continuous quality and improvement.
e. Safety and security of person and property.
f. Infection control.
g. Hazardous materials and waste.
h. Life safety and emergency preparedness.
6. Maintains a working knowledge about and in continued compliance with all of those areas listed under item (5) throughout your employment with the Council.
7. Provides care appropriate to the age of the patients / clients / visitors served.
The job skills required for Patient Care Coordinator include Patient Care, Microsoft Office, Confidentiality, Time Management, Written Communication, primary care, etc. Having related job skills and expertise will give you an advantage when applying to be a Patient Care Coordinator. That makes you unique and can impact how much salary you can get paid. Below are job openings related to skills required by Patient Care Coordinator. Select any job title you are interested in and start to search job requirements.
Patient CareView Jobs
Microsoft OfficeView Jobs
Time ManagementView Jobs
Written CommunicationView Jobs
primary careView Jobs
The following is the career advancement route for Patient Care Coordinator positions, which can be used as a reference in future career path planning. As a Patient Care Coordinator, it can be promoted into senior positions as a House Supervisor that are expected to handle more key tasks, people in this role will get a higher salary paid than an ordinary Patient Care Coordinator. You can explore the career advancement for a Patient Care Coordinator below and select your interested title to get hiring information.
If you are interested in becoming a Patient Care Coordinator, you need to understand the job requirements and the detailed related responsibilities. Of course, a good educational background and an applicable major will also help in job hunting. Below are some tips on how to become a Patient Care Coordinator for your reference.
Step 1: Understand the job description and responsibilities of an Accountant.
Quotes from people on Patient Care Coordinator job description and responsibilities
Patient care coordinators educate patients about their health conditions and develop a plan to address their personal health care needs.
12/12/2021: Des Moines, IA
Patient Care Coordinator educate patients and families on the patients' procedures and conditions and make sure records are kept up to date.
01/30/2022: Dayton, OH
They monitor and coordinate patients’ treatment plans, educate them about their condition, connect them with health care providers, and evaluate their progress.
12/26/2021: San Jose, CA
Collaborates with key departments such as admitting, EVS, case management to ensure timely patient admissions and a positive patient family experience.
02/28/2022: Moline, IL
Maintain the workflow of the patient care coordinators; delivering great customer service to the patients, VIP and at-risk patients.
02/03/2022: New Orleans, LA
Step 2: Knowing the best tips for becoming an Accountant can help you explore the needs of the position and prepare for the job-related knowledge well ahead of time.
Career tips from people on Patient Care Coordinator jobs
Seniors are the ones who are most likely to require the services of these coordinators.
12/20/2021: Rockford, IL
You must have a goodphysical and health status which would accommodate delivery of duties and access to patient homes.
01/04/2022: Lexington, KY
Need to thoroughly explains procedures, treatments and nursing care to patients and/or family to be a successful Patient Care Coordinator
03/05/2022: San Bernardino, CA
For example, skills like Medical Records, Care Coordination and Healthcare Management are possible skills.
01/18/2022: Parkersburg, WV
Patient care coordinators need to have strong analytical skills and the ability to handle multiple tasks concurrently.
02/14/2022: Bakersfield, CA
Step 3: View the best colleges and universities for Patient Care Coordinator.