At Blank Street, we believe great coffee should be an everyday ritual. With shops across Brooklyn, Manhattan, Boston, DC, and London, we’re the first-ever brand to offer affordable high-quality coffee.
Blank Street originated in an effort to change the specialty coffee status quo. Starting with small-format shops and continuing with a limited menu and top-of-the-line tech, we’ve always been focused on simplifying the coffee experience. We partner with amazing local vendors and brands, and have some of the best baristas and HQ members out there on our team. Love coffee? Keep reading.
Blank Street is looking for an experienced HR leader to lead the People Operations strategy throughout the organization. Reporting to the General Counsel and managing the existing People Team, this role will be critical in effectively scaling our team, along with developing a culture that our employees can be proud of. We’re looking for an inspiring individual with a passion for both managing the details and setting the strategy. We’re excited to find someone who thrives in an ever-changing startup environment and is willing to contribute wherever necessary.
What you'll own
- Recruitment and Onboarding: Oversee and implement best practices relating to recruitment and onboarding of new employees. Develop salary bands and job levels/titles.
- Diversity & Inclusion: Ensure that Blank Street is creating a company built on inclusivity and diversity, from the hiring process to successful growth planning.
- Management & Mentorship: Lead and mentor a team of three.
- Culture: Play an instrumental role in helping to define Blank Street’s core values and develop programs that allow our values to come to life throughout the employee lifecycle.
- Performance Management: Lead our performance management strategy.
- Leadership Development: Assist Founders and People Managers with the performance of the team.
- Employee Policies: Help to design employee policies around benefits, leave, performance evaluations, etc. and codify in the company handbook. Continue to adjust our policies for the needs of the business as we grow.
- Legal and Compliance: Work closely with the Legal Team to ensure we are compliant with applicable state and local laws.
- Benefits & Compensation: Own, manage and evaluate our payroll provider and benefit offerings. Serve as the internal main point of contact for benefits-related questions.
- Tools & Systems: Recommend and implement the best tools and systems in order to build a strong foundation for people operations and benefits.
Who you are & what you bring
- 5 years experience in Senior HR management role, specifically in a rapidly scaling or startup environment, with a successful track record of building great teams
- Experience working with a large hourly team in food & beverage, retail or hospitality required
- HR Certification (PHR, SPHR) preferred
- Ability to work out of our office in Brooklyn most days
- Experience working within an organization with an established process and systems for hiring exceptional talent at a fast pace
- Comfortable in a strategic role, plus the ability to roll up your selves to get the job done
- Exceptional listening skills and the ability to build trust across all levels of an organization
- Ability to make data driven decisions
- Comfort with employment law and general HR best practices
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; success in advocating and getting necessary buy-in for programs
- Competitive salary & equity compensation
- Medical, Dental, and Vision coverage
- Weekly paychecks
- A whole lot of Blank Street swag & coffee
The job skills required for Director of People Operations include Employment Law, Onboarding, etc.
Having related job skills and expertise will give you an advantage when applying to be a Director of People Operations.
That makes you unique and can impact how much salary you can get paid. Below are job openings related to skills required by Director of People Operations.
Select any job title you are interested in and start to search job requirements.
For the skill of Onboarding
The following is the career advancement route for Director of People Operations positions,
which can be used as a reference in future career path planning. As a Director of People Operations,
it can be promoted into senior positions as a Top Division Human Resources Executive that are expected to
handle more key tasks, people in this role will get a higher salary paid than an ordinary
Director of People Operations. You can explore the career advancement for a Director of People Operations below
and select your interested title to get hiring information.