American Humane seeks a highly-motivated self-starter with superb organizational skills, excellent time management skills, and outstanding communication and interpersonal skills to join our team as an Administrative Assistant. The person in this position will provide executive-level support for and work closely with the COO and other executive staff to ensure the smooth functioning of the executive team and the DC Office. This position will be a hybrid of in-office and remote-telework based out of the Washington, DC headquarters office. American Humane is committed to fostering diversity, equity, and inclusion in the workplace. As we seek to fill this position, we highly encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply.
For more than 100 years American Humane has been first in promoting the welfare and safety of animals and strengthening the bond between animals and people. We are first to serve, wherever animals are in need of rescue, shelter, protection or security. Through our innovative leadership initiatives – from our “No Animals Were Harmed®” program in Hollywood to broad-based farm and conservation animal welfare certifications, to rapid response rescue and care across the country – American Humane sets the gold standard as the most visionary and effective animal welfare organization in the nation.
The Administrative Assistant’s primary responsibilities are two-fold:
- Provide general office support and coordination for the headquarters office.
- Provide day-to-day support to American Humane’s DC-based executive staff around a variety of administrative needs, including scheduling, meeting coordination, expense and invoice processing, travel logistics and other special projects.
While the person in this position directly reports to and primarily supports the SVP & Chief Operating Officer, this role will provide basic administrative support across the full DC-based Executive team, which also includes the SVP of Communications & Legislative Affairs, SVP & General Counsel, Chief Talent Officer and Chief Financial Officer.
Executive Support (estimated 60%):
- Handle various administrative tasks for the COO and other members of the Executive team as needed.
- Support calendar management and complex scheduling needs for the executive team members; this would involve coordination with internal and external stakeholders to organize meetings.
- Coordinate and prepare for meetings held in the DC office, providing logistical support.
- Make travel arrangements for domestic and international travel; proactively anticipating need and ensuring team members are properly prepared. This would include things like booking flights, car service or rentals and hotel accommodations; confirming and coordinating itineraries; and other logistical needs related to meetings or activities.
- Help with requests for vendor services and invoicing when applicable.
- Prepare expense reports and process reimbursement requests and monthly credit card submissions through the accounting system PN3.
- Assist with drafting and editing correspondence, presentations and other materials as needed; proofread documents.
- Support special projects or other duties as assigned.
Office Support (approx. 40%):
- Maintain and manage general office supplies and supply ordering; manage vendor accounts, proactively reviewing periodically to ensure competitive pricing and good service.
- Maintain office informational materials and swag inventory and manage ordering for the DC Headquarters office and other office locations as needed, coordinating with the Communications team and other staff to ensure updated marketing materials are always in stock and available and purging outdated materials.
- Serve as first point of contact to greet visitors at the office and help them feel welcomed; maintain a clean and inviting reception area.
- Screen phone calls thoroughly and with diplomacy for the main line. Provide preliminary information to internal and external callers as appropriate and direct inquiries and requests to appropriate area/person as needed.
- Monitor the info email inbox for general inquiries to the organization daily. Manage and respond to general inquiries or refer emails to appropriate staff person for response.
- Serve as a point of contact between American Humane and office building management for maintenance and security requests or other related matters.
- In coordination with the IT Department, ensure office equipment, including: Stamps.com and copy machines remain functional and are being well maintained.
- Assist with general office shipping needs, helping staff and answering questions about which shipping options are best.
- Coordinate internal and outgoing mail; collect and distribute incoming mail on a daily basis.
- Participate in American Humane-related activities, events and meetings.
- Assume responsibility for other areas of general office support as needed.
Essential experience, knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Strong organizational skills, including the ability to set priorities, juggle multiple, competing tasks, organize time effectively, conduct research and identify resources for projects.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills, including the ability to work both in groups and individually to meet goals and to develop strong working relationships with internal staff and external constituents.
- High degree of motivation and self-discipline with a strong work ethic. Maintains a conscientious approach to work with the ability to meet tight deadlines, anticipate needs and be proactive in order to resolve issues.
- Ability to think on one’s feet and adjust quickly to changing priorities.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including proof reading and editing and strong phone etiquette.
- Demonstrates sound judgment and discretion in handling confidential and sensitive information.
- Ability to focus on detail without losing sight of the bigger picture, including monitoring and double-checking work and information for accuracy and quality.
- Commitment to providing high quality service through responsiveness to all requests and maintaining a professional demeanor at all times.
- Demonstrated proficiency in the use of software (Windows, Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook and Teams) and an ability and high degree of comfort to quickly learn new technologies and systems.
- Skilled at coordinating complex meetings and travel arrangements.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred.
Physical demands and work environment:
- Position will be a hybrid of in-office and remote-telework based out of the Washington, DC headquarters office location with regular telework schedule based on organizational policy, need and manager discretion. Estimate 50% or more of time will be in-office.
- Must be comfortable with animals, particularly dogs, in the office and at events.
- Minimal travel may be requested.
- Standard office hours with possibility for occasional overtime or evening/weekend work, expected to be infrequent and minimal.
- While performing the duties of this position, the employee will be regularly required to:
- Sit for extended periods, though will also be required to stand, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl at times;
- Occasionally lift and/or move 20 pounds or more;
- Look at and work off of a computer screen for extended periods;
- Talk, hear and exchange information over the telephone, virtually and in-person.
American Humane’s core values define our workplace, and these values serve as the cornerstone for interactions in advancing our mission and institutional goals. Employees are expected to adhere to all organizational policies and to act as role models, demonstrating American Humane’s core values:
Compassion – Being kind and caring in our interactions with others.
Accountability - Holding ourselves to the highest standards. Following through on commitments and owning our actions, behavior, and decisions.
Respect for All – Being professional, listening to others and honoring diversity in all its forms.
Loyalty to Mission – Staying focused on our purpose and our mission – our nation’s most vulnerable depend on us.
Sustainability - Contributing to being a great place to work and achieving our shared mission and goals to make a difference, now and in the future.
Honesty, Integrity, Trust – Demonstrating transparency, as trusted stewards of donor resources, supporting our leadership and one another.
American Humane (AH) is an Equal Opportunity Employer with a commitment to fostering and growing diversity, equity and inclusion in the workplace and the humane space.