The interview process is one of the most intimidating stages of a job search. The most important thing you can do before an interview is to prepare for questions that an interviewer might ask you. Sadly, there is no magic ball to gaze into to predict what the exact questions will be, but we can take a look at some common interview questions to help prepare you for your next interview.
Some questions can be quite broad, while others can be job-specific, so it is vital to make sure that you are ready to respond with an answer to every question. Spend time practicing your answers to these questions with a friend, or by yourself in front of a mirror. Do this and put yourself in the best possible position to land your next job.
Common Interview Questions by Group
It's useful to categorize common interview questions into different groups. You can view the different categories and decide which areas you feel confident answering, and which areas need improvement. Here are 10 common interview questions for each category:
Skills and Abilities
- What are your greatest strengths?
- Tell me about some of your weaknesses.
- What skills will you bring to our company?
- Which skills of yours would you like to improve?
- What's your work style?
- Do you feel that your abilities match the job description?
- What soft skills do you have?
- How do you handle stressful situations?
- How do you handle pressure?
- How do you handle failure?
- What would you like to accomplish in the first three months on the job?
- Where do you see yourself in five years?
- What is your dream job?
- What motivates you?
- What are your career goals?
- Can you tell me how you are planning to achieve your career goals?
- How do you measure success?
- What challenges are you looking for?
- What areas of you are you working on to improve?
- What would getting this job mean to you?
- How would a former colleague describe you?
- Can you tell me about your previous job?
- Can you tell me about the gap in your resume?
- Why did you leave your previous job?
- What experience do you have?
- What did you like about your previous job?
- What did you dislike about your previous job?
- What was the most rewarding moment in your work history?
- What is your biggest accomplishment so far?
- What have you learned from your previous experiences?
- Where did you hear about this job?
- What are your salary expectations?
- Do you prefer to work independently or on a team?
- What do you know about this organization?
- Why do you want to work here?
- Why do you want this position?
- What interests you about this organization?
- How are you looking to be challenged in this position?
- How is our organization different from previous organizations you've worked for?
- Tell me why should we hire you?
- How many hours a week do you expect to work?
- What is your availability?
- Would you be willing to relocate?
- When can you start?
- What type of work environment do you work best in?
- How do you keep yourself organized?
- Can you describe a typical workday/week?
- How flexible are you?
- Do you have good time-management skills?
- What would your ideal work schedule be?
- Tell me about yourself.
- Can you tell me about your resume?
- Is there anything I should know that isn't on your resume?
- Can you tell me about your educational background?
- What are you most proud of in your life?
- If you could go back and speak to yourself 10 years ago, what would you say?
- Are you applying for any other jobs?
- What are you passionate about?
- Do you have any hobbies?
- What personality type are you?
Be Honest in Your Interviews
Now we know some of the common interview questions that you may be asked. Be honest in your answers and have confidence in yourself. Good luck and stay positive!