Northcentral Electric Cooperative is an equal opportunity employer and recruits, advertises, employs, promotes, transfers, disciplines, and discharges without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, or veteran status.
Northcentral Electric Cooperative
Safely and proficiently perform all functions of a lineman in managing the construction, maintenance, and operations of the electric distribution system. Promote a safe work environment and a culture of safe work practices and behaviors.
Supervisor: Line Foreman
- High School Diploma or G.E.D. certification minimum.
- Must have successfully completed an approved Lineman Apprenticeship program, equivalent to Northcentral’s Lineman Apprenticeship Program and a minimum of (4) year of experience in an overhead/underground electric distribution utility, preferably through the progression of apprenticeship work.
- Must have a safe working knowledge of the construction and maintenance of electrical distribution lines and substations including the installation of meters, transformers, voltage regulators, capacitors, sectionalizers and oil circuit reclosers.
- Must have sound knowledge of RUS construction specifications and the National Electric Safety Code.
- Skilled in the areas of CPR, first aid application, and rescue procedures and capable of assisting in related training activities.
- Must have sound knowledge of the proper and safe use of the tools and equipment used in line construction and maintenance, both energized and de-energized.
- Must possess a class “A” commercial driver’s license.
- Displays thorough working knowledge of the Northcentral safety practices and procedures, sets an example of safe practices for another Apprentice Lineman and Lineman. Understand and utilize the proper personal protective equipment (PPE).
- Perform without supervision all aspects of construction and maintenance operations of the distribution system, in accordance with RUS specification and Northcentral Safety Rules. Install, remove, inspect and maintain both overhead and underground lines and equipment.
- Completes paperwork related to safety, inspections, reports, etc.
- Change out poles, crossarms and insulator with energized lines. Installs single and three phase transformers. Install and service security lights, drops, regulators, reclosers, switches and other apparatus.
- Able to operate all equipment used in the construction and maintenance of the distribution system, including digger truck, bucket truck, trencher, and other equipment as required.
- Interpret work orders and perform line work during normal and emergency periods.
- Knowledge of directional line feed and area voltage.
- Train Apprentice Lineman in the performance of all work.
- Climb poles, towers or work from bucket truck to perform all types of general line construction and maintenance work such as stringing wire or installing conductors on poles, hanging transformers, maintain right of way, etc.
- Must be able to work with mobile computer equipment and software to process work.
- Troubleshooting and Outage restoration. Working independently or with others, systematically perform all duties associated with troubleshooting lines and equipment to restore electric service.
- Must be able to work in all weather conditions and work overtime as required, sometimes long periods of time.
- Position will have required continuing education through various classes, conferences, etc.
Occasional lifting in excess of 50 lbs. and frequent lifting and/or carrying of objects weighing up to 50 lbs. Must be able to stoop, kneel, crouch and crawl. Work requires the ability to reach, handle and feel with fingers. Must be able to climb (ascending and descending), using the feet and legs and/or hands and arms; must have sense of balance; must be able to stoop; kneel’ crouch and crawl. Must be able to reach’ handle’ work primarily with fingers; and feel. Must be able to talk and hear. Must be able to obtain impressions through the eyes and the shape, size, distance, motion and color or other characteristic of objects. Must possess acuity, far and near, depth perception, field of vision, accommodation, and color vision. Must be able to speak clearly and communicate effectively in order to interact with company employees and members.