COMPANY: Koyo Bearings North America DEPARTMENT: Engineering
LOCATION: 1006 Northpoint Blvd, Blythewood, SC
FLSA – Salaried Exempt
REPORTS TO: Engineering Supervisor GRADE 105
Plans, directs and coordinates technical support for the Machining/Grind manufacturing processes.
Essential Duties and Accountabilities:
• Develops and evaluates manufacturing methods
• Use a “hands on” approach to develop and implement solutions to manufacturing problems and improvements in manufacturing methods that result in improved quality and increased productivity while maintaining a safe working environment
• Analysis and troubleshooting of production equipment based on technical drawings and mechanical evaluation
• Provide training to Operators, Setup Persons, Manufacturing Technicians, and Manufacturing Engineering Technicians to improve technical abilities
• Interface with all levels in the organization using verbal, written and graphical communication tools to ensure efficient production methods
• Design and document tooling designs on drawings that communicates tooling requirements to toolmakers using AD software, or manual charted drawings
• Analyzes and plans work force utilization, spaces requirements, workflow and designs layouts of equipment and workspace for maximum efficiency
• Confers with planning and design staff concerning product design and tooling to ensure efficient production methods
• Confers with vendors to determine product specifications and arrange for purchase of equipment, materials, or parts and evaluates products according to specifications and quality standards
• Estimates production times, staffing requirements, and related costs to provide information for management decisions
• Confers with management, engineering and other staff regarding manufacturing capabilities, production schedules, and other considerations to facilitate production processes
• Applies statistical methods to estimate future manufacturing requirements and potential including machine capability studies, etc.
• Plans, implements and tracks Capital and Non-Capital cost reduction projects and reports to management on a regular basis.
• Support 5-S, Kaizen Team and Koyo Production Systems, TS16949 and ISO14000 efforts throughout the plant
• Other duties as assigned
Education and Experience:
• Bachelors’ Degree in Mechanical Engineering
• 3 – 5 years Manufacturing Engineer Experience
• Hands on experience working in an automated machining/Grinding environment
• Bearings experience preferred
• This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
• Work Environment/Physical Demands:
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Work is mostly performed in the manufacturing setting (approx. 75%) and in the office setting (approx. 25%) with minimal exposure to health or safety hazards and with substantial time spent working on a computer. Requires sufficient hand, arm, and finger dexterity to operate computer keyboard and other office equipment.
The performance of this position requires exposure to manufacturing areas which require the use of personal protective equipment such as safety glasses with side shields, safety shoes and mandatory hearing protection.