The Medical Coder demonstrates proficiency in all aspects of outpatient coding. Performs ongoing coding of claims to ensure accuracy of coding and billing and sufficiency of supporting documentation. This position can be fulfilled with remote working. The employee may elect to work from the corporate office in Greenville, SC if that is preferable to remote working.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following and other duties that are assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Position requires constant mental alertness, attention to detail, and high degree of accuracy required in completing all assignments. Strong problem-solving skills. Smart, driven, exceptional work ethic. Must be able to follow oral and written instructions and follow -through on all assignments. Excellent organizational skills. Highly detailed-oriented. Ability to work well in a group setting and independently.
Education and/or Experience:
• Certified Professional Coder (CPC®) or CCS-P
• High School diploma, GED or equivalent.
• Minimum of 2 years of coding experience with an emphasis in Evaluation and Management coding.
• Experience in coding healthcare provider documentation to identify correct ICD-10-CM, CPT, and/or HCPCS codes preferred.
• An excellent understanding of Mental Health / Opioid Addiction medical terminology preferred.
• An excellent understanding of ICD-10-CM coding classification and CPT/HCPCS coding.
• Computer literate adept skill level on MS Office applications.
• Good organizational and communication skills.
• Task oriented and ability to meet designated deadlines and productivity standards.
• Strong, well-developed interpersonal skills.
• Experience in Mental Health or Addiction Medicine a plus.
The job skills required for Medical Coder include CPT, Billing, Outpatient, Medical Coding, Diagnosis Codes,and Problem Solving etc. Having related job skills and expertise will give you an advantage when applying to be a Medical Coder. That makes you unique and can impact how much salary you can get paid. Below are job openings related to skills required by Medical Coder. Select any job title you are interested in and start to search job requirements.
If you are interested in becoming a Medical Coder, you need to understand the job requirements and the detailed related responsibilities. Of course, a good educational background and an applicable major will also help in job hunting. Below are some tips on how to become a Medical Coder for your reference.