This position may close without notice if the City receives sufficient qualified applicants. Apply sooner rather than later!
As a Civil Engineer, you play a key role in the City's infrastructure. You have the opportunity to leave a positive mark on the community and to create something tangible as an example of your hard work and dedication. You make a difference in people's lives through problem solving, creativity, and drive in finding solutions to some age-old questions - like the best path for someone or something to move safely and efficiently from point A to point B.
Wilsonville is still growing and still relatively new, which means we have many challenging projects underway and in the pipeline. This position will serves as the City’s lead technical expert on all aspects of transportation, traffic, and mobility. The position collaborates within the department, across City departments, and with regional partners to deliver a suite of multimodal mobility infrastructure and services to the community. To learn more about the exciting projects you could be a part of, visit our city project site at https://www.ci.wilsonville.or.us/projects.
We are looking for collaborative, bold thinkers who look forward to investing energy into building a thriving community. Ideal candidates will demonstrate the ability to lead the design and construction of projects within budget and on schedule, while also ensuring the safety, efficiency, and maintainability of infrastructure. If you are someone who thinks differently, expects more, and doesn't want to settle for the status quo, Wilsonville is the place for you. This is not just another job, this is a place to expand your career. Sound interesting? Apply today!
Please ensure you complete all sections of the application, attach a cover letter detailing your interest in the position, and answer all supplemental questions. Do not use "refer to resume" in the application.
We look forward to you joining our team!
Under general supervision of the Engineering Managers, the Civil Engineer will participate in and provide specialized engineering knowledge and expertise to complex projects and studies to solve design, maintenance, improvement, and construction challenges and problems. This position plans, designs, and reviews civil engineering studies and construction plans for public capital projects and private development projects. Incumbents supervise and/or coordinate the work of other technical staff, outside consultants and contractors, and other agencies.
The Civil Engineer reports to an Engineering Manager as determined by the City Engineer.
Essential Job Functions
The following tasks are representative and are not to be considered all-inclusive.
Assist with the planning and management of public works and other city/private construction and capital improvement projects.
Assist with the coordination and supervision of the Engineering Division
- Works with Community Development Department staff and other departments in developing and implementing engineering standards and priorities for the City.
- Interprets and applies standards in designs and review of consultant work for public and private projects.
- Prepares technical/progress reports and memos, analyzes feasibility of alternatives, prepares cost estimates, and staff reports.
- Monitors project activities, schedules, and budgets. reviews and recommends approval of change orders.
- Presents reports/recommendations to staff, boards, commissions, council, and/or business representatives.
- Meets with architects, engineers, and business representatives to answer questions, provide technical information, and resolve problems.
- Participates in preparing RFPs and hiring of consultants and contractors.
- Reviews plans and specifications for public/private development for compliance with City standards, codes, and accepted engineering practices.
- Coordinates engineering inspections to review compliance with approved designs and plans for public and private construction.
- Independently resolves technical issues and problems.
- Creates and maintains complete files of capital improvement and other projects.
- Assist Engineer Managers with oversight and coordination of technical staff.
- Coordinate work assignments and schedules for complete ion as required.
- Participate in interviews for new staff members; recommend candidate selection.
Service objective – Courteous and respectful, responsive to citizen requests, and cost effective use of city resources.
Supportive work environment – Treat other employees with respect, support a positive work environment, keep others informed of work issues and programs by maintaining quality communications, and work to resolve issues of conflicting personalities and needs.
Complete other tasks as assigned.
Education: Bachelor of Science Degree in civil engineering is required.
Experience: At least four years of experience managing public works projects, or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
Licensing & Other Requirements: Registration as a Professional Engineer (PE), preferably in Oregon. If registered in a different state, must apply for and obtain Oregon PE within six (6) months of hire. This position also requires a valid driver's license.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Strong computer skills to perform the essential functions of the position, typically using project tracking and financial software; MS office including Word, Excel, Adobe, and PowerPoint; and ability to use AutoCAD or equivalent engineering software.
- General knowledge of the principles and practices of civil engineering.
- Demonstrated oral and written communication skills in the performance of duties and responsibilities, including public/board presentations.
- Technical writing skills sufficient to prepare project specifications, requests for proposals, project documentation, and reports suitable for external distribution.
- Ability to learn City procedures regulations, codes, and requirements with respect to construction standards, procurement, safety, operations, and organization.
- Ability to organize, coordinate, and review progress and compliance of engineering and development projects.
- Ability to prepare, administer, and monitor a project budget.
- Ability to prepare, review, approve, and interpret engineering plans and specifications.
- Ability to Interpret and apply rules, regulations, laws, and ordinances.
- Ability to develop a positive working environment and motivate and supervise employees in the Engineering Division.
- Ability to analyze and manage complex technical and administrative details.
Work is performed in a variety of environments ranging from the office to construction sites out in the field.Physical Requirements:
Movement within the office is essential. Some travel required to sites and facilities both in and outside the city during the day and evening hours.Cognitive Functions:
The position incumbent works in a fast-paced office environment characterized by public contact, frequent deadlines, interruptions, and complex decisions. Work is performed under the general direction of an Engineering Manager.Equipment/Tools Used
: City vehicle, computer, general office equipment.