Are you ready to join an organization where you can be a relentless force for a world of longer, healthier lives?
Envision all Americans enjoying ideal cardiovascular health free of heart disease and stroke. At the American Heart Association and American Stroke Association, we get to work toward that goal every single day. Is it easy? No. Is it worthwhile? You bet!
This is satisfying work that makes a real difference in people's lives. You can achieve professional growth with personal fulfillment. You will connect with people and make a lifesaving impact. You will partner with individuals, schools, lawmakers, healthcare providers and others to ensure everyone has access to healthier lifestyle choices and proper healthcare.
The American Heart Association (AHA) has an excellent opportunity for an Operations Manager within our Western States Region located in Fresno, California. The work environment is primarily in an office environment but involves occasional work performed from remote locations for business meetings and occasional events which are outdoors.
Under general supervision, the Operations Manager manages the daily operations of the Division. The position provides administrative support to the Division overall, the Executive Director and the team to ensure effective operations in achievement with identified goals and objectives, including revenue generation and volunteer management. Responsibilities also include supporting assigned campaign(s), managing logistics, databases, volunteer recruitment and coordination and other duties, as assigned.
This position performs responsibilities requiring independent judgement and decision making in support of AHA campaigns and operations in full compliance with established procedures and standards. This includes prioritizing work effectively, making sound decisions on critical tasks with appropriate discretion and with demonstrated understanding of how to most effectively advance objectives, workflow, collaboration, and communication.
Division Administrative Management
- Manages the daily operations of the division in support of achieving the goals and objectives of the division, region, and association.
- Serves as the liaison within the office to allocate resources for major projects and manage timelines for projects involving multiple departments. Includes providing guidance and direction to the Development Coordinator to optimize support and resources across division functions. Oversees to provide excellent event fulfillment.
- Provides direct clerical, administrative and logistics support to Executive Director in the accomplishment of Division responsibilities.
- Performs general administrative and clerical functions including: calendaring appointments, answering the telephone, ordering supplies, distributing mail, coordinating mailings, copying, coordinating meetings – to include, facilitating Division/Region meetings/conferences with setup, video, and cleanup.
- Serves as a liaison with other departments regarding Human Resources, Business Technology and Finance and other Business Operations matters.
- Stays current with all applicable processes and standards and serves as a resource for others in ensuring fiscal and operational compliance.
- Serves as the Division’s lead Accounting Liaison: the primary staff person completing income and expense processing for the division. Maintains all financial information in accordance with the policies of the American Heart Association.
- Oversees and proactively communicates income and expense procedures (money handling, receipting, income crediting, donation flow through various systems, compliance, etc.) to other division staff and ensures that all staff are carrying out procedures correctly through training and ongoing review of compliance.
- Monitors division income and expense status. Identifies any issues and works with appropriate staff to quickly resolve issues.
- Acts as the division’s Account Payable lead in processing and monitoring invoices for general operations including janitorial services, maintenance fees, subscriptions, office supplies and equipment rentals. Actively participates in the budget review process to monitor and evaluate spending and savings within indirect expenses. (As applicable)
Customer and Volunteer Relations
- Ensures the integrity and accuracy of donor, volunteer, partner, and financial information by managing databases.
- Performs accurate and complete data entry. Formats and produces reports. Serves as Power User for office providing advice, guidance and training to other staff as needed.
- Provides administrative support for the Division Board of Directors including mailings, materials, meeting preparation, meeting minutes, etc.
- Tracks all appropriate Division Board information in accordance with Gold Standard Board procedures.
- Serves as the main resource in the Division for receiving and resolving customer inquiries and complaints. Ensures that office staff are educated about customer resolution procedures and tools and that procedures and tools are being utilized correctly.
Office and Facilities Operations
- Ensures that standards for safety and operational effectiveness are consistently met for the Division.
- Ensures office/building daily operations in accordance with established policies and procedures to provide for efficient, effective service to all internal/external customers.
- Coordinates maintenance and repair work for office equipment and furniture. Coordinates facility repairs with property management and maintain all office equipment in good working order. Includes overseeing office and equipment supplies, inventory, and technology assets. Troubleshoots as necessary to ensure appropriate and efficient operations and utilizes available resources and tools for problem-solving.
- Updates and maintains disaster preparedness/emergency response plan for the office; ensures that all staff are briefed annually.
- Ensures office security and safety. Implements AHA and building security and safety procedures ensuring that all risk management compliance requirements are met.
- Adheres to purchasing/procurement policies. Seeks out a minimum of 2-3 bids prior to services performed by outside vendors to the property. Evaluates quality and value to achieve the best use of funds and communicates/provides recommendations to the supervisor.
- Coordinates office HR functions to ensure ongoing compliance and in support of collaboration and engagement aligned with the goals and objectives of the division, region and association.
- Serves as a key business partner in the orientation and support of new team members including staff, interns and office volunteers.
- Manages regulatory compliance including ensuring that required postings are appropriately maintained and visible, reports and documents are provided as needed on a timely basis, mailings concerning employee matters are handled appropriately.
- Coordinates timely attention, communication and appropriate resolution of employee safety concerns with Western States HR and Facilities.
- Supports Executive Director in preparation of regular staff meetings and coordinates division participation in region and association meetings and initiatives.
- Acts as the lead hiring manager for unpaid internships within the division. Assesses the departmental needs and assigns the appropriate interns per campaign. Provides a detailed orientation to the intern including primary role of support, office policies/procedures, daily operations, and internship requirements.
Want to help get your resume to the top? Take a look at the experience we require:
- Minimum of three (3) years of experience with:
- Demonstrated work experience in managing, coordinating, and supporting complex office operations and projects in a high performing team environment with personal accountability for quality and results.
- Demonstrated ability to organize and manage multiple projects, prioritize tasks, and meet deadlines with proactive communication, thorough planning and execution and allocating/providing resources, additional support or training.
- Highly effective interpersonal and communication skills. Ability to consistently maintain a professional, calm and friendly manner in creating positive customer experiences externally and internally.
- Proven problem-solving skills with the ability to identify potential issues that may impact organizational productivity and/or compliance and address proactively and timely.
- Effective project management skills in a dynamic environment with multiple stakeholders.
- Experience in positively managing change including anticipating and championing organizational change, creating contingency plans, proactively considering short-term and long-term impact.
- Demonstrated experience maintaining appropriate discretion in managing confidential information.
- Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Office applications and database management.
Here are some of the preferred skills we are looking for:
- Bachelor’s degree may be preferred in supporting the required level of skill, knowledge and experience required.
- Experience managing an office/agency budget.
- Knowledge of the AHA’s standards and procedures.
- Experience in a non-profit organization with responsibility for volunteer and donor engagement.
- Technology background helpful; ability to identify, troubleshoot and resolve issues with equipment and tools utilizing available resources as needed.
- Experience in a wide variety of work settings helpful to demonstrate ability to navigate varied work situations.
The American Heart Association’s 2024 Goal: Every person deserves the opportunity for a full, healthy life. As champions for health equity, by 2024, the American Heart Association will advance cardiovascular health for all, including identifying and removing barriers to health care access and quality.
At American Heart Association | American Stroke Association, diversity, inclusion, and equal opportunity applies to both our workforce and the communities we serve as it relates to heart health and stroke prevention.This position not a match with your skills? Click here to see other opportunities.
Be sure to follow us on Twitter #TheAHALife
EOE/Protected Veterans/Persons with Disabilities