The purpose of this position is to perform detailed designs, calculations, cost estimates, plans and specifications for contract documents and evaluations of various types of water works improvements projects. Also performs or assists with construction management duties, inspection of the construction work, various levels of field investigations, and review of consulting engineers’ designs. Operates, when assigned, in a consulting capacity to other departments in technical engineering matters. The assignments are screened for unusual or difficult portions of a job and a recommended procedure is laid out by the supervisor, all other portions of the work should be able to be approached by the use of standardized techniques.
WaterOne provides competitive benefits and compensation ranges. Selected candidates are placed in the position’s pay range based on their qualifications.
Pay Range: From $69,000/yr
- Make sure that projects are properly accomplished by providing, under close supervision, technical design and progress assistance based on sound engineering principles.
- Create accurate engineering drawings by providing engineering assistance to Engineering Technicians, and Project Engineers.
- Ensure completion of all projects on time by complying with project schedules based on project priorities and target dates.
- Produce comprehensive specifications for obtaining materials, services and equipment at the best price. This may include value analysis and recommendations on purchasing.
- Assist other departments by providing technical engineering opinions and data.
- Advise WaterOne crews on technical matters while carrying out projects the engineer may have designed.
- Coordinate assignments with area consulting engineers and governmental agencies.
- Maintain communications with area professionals in related fields such as city, state, and county public works, fire departments, street and highway departments in matters relating to WaterOne.
- Administer construction contracts, through the design, specifications, contract documents, bidding, and construction phases, pay estimates and change order documentation.
- Perform engineering design calculations; produce layout drawings, plans, and specifications for improvement projects as assigned. Also ensure that these projects are in compliance with all appropriate standards and within WaterOne budget.
- Direct the activities of staff assigned to assist with projects.
- Analyze and interpret distribution system hydraulic model data.
- Provide estimates and projections of anticipated costs for improvement projects for annual budgeting purposes.
- Assist with developing and maintaining design and installation criteria and design and installation standards for WaterOne facilities.
- Maintain up to date knowledge on water industry materials, processes, and technology.
- Assist with developing and maintaining an ongoing asset management plan for WaterOne.
- Ensure understanding between WaterOne and outside organizations by using objectivity, understanding and communication.
- Perform all duties pertaining to hazardous waste operations in accordance with all applicable requirements.
- Performs other job duties as assigned.
Required Education, Skills & Experience
- Bachelor of Science degree in Civil, Mechanical, Electrical or Chemical Engineering from a properly accredited school.
- Must have an E.I.T. Certificate and be working toward receiving a Professional Engineer License in the State of Kansas.
- Good communication skills both orally and in writing.
- Thorough knowledge of engineering theory and practice.
- Knowledge of computer technology with emphasis on use of CAD software.
- Ability to approach problem solving in a logical manner.
- Well organized and able to set priorities.
- Able to work on several projects concurrently.
- Assimilate information from several sources to complete a project.
- Exercise good judgment, must be innovative and be able to respond to occasional emergencies.
- Maintain good working relationships and be teamwork oriented.
- Have experience with or have the ability to learn and apply all applicable requirements pertaining to hazardous waste operations.
- Grasp of current issues affecting water utilities is desired.
- Knowledge of water utility construction standards and Contracting issues in the construction industry is desired.
- Understanding of water utility construction contract document preparation and administration thereof is desired.
- Possess a valid driver's license and meet WaterOne driving standards.
- Must pass post offer medical exam, including drug screen and background verification (may not apply to current employees).
Preferred Education, Skills & Experience
- Experience in engineering and technical work associated with a water utility.
- Experience with enterprise resource planning software, such as SAP.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The employee must be able to move/lift items weighing up to 40 pounds occasionally. The employee must be able to use a computer for multiple hours a day. The employee must be able to move occasionally from one location to another or be able to remain in a stationary position for up to several hours a day. The employee must be able to use office productivity equipment such as a personal computer, calculator, printer, and copy machine. The employee must be in possession of a licenses and be able to operate a vehicle at any given time. The employee must occasionally position self to inspect or view field activities.
Complete job description is available upon request and will be provided during the selection process.
WaterOne is an independent public water utility. We’ve been proudly serving the Johnson County, Kansas area since 1957. Every day, nearly 455,000 customers rely on WaterOne to provide fresh, clean water on demand. It’s a responsibility we deliver on.
Our passion is water, because water touches everything we care about: family, health, safety, and community. We serve our community by bringing award-winning water to their homes, businesses, and public places.