Long Beach, CA
Who we are
At Virgin Orbit, we are launching the small satellite revolution, enabling missions that were previously unimaginable. We are delivering Virgin’s legendary customer experience by combining advanced technology with a diligent, hard-working team. We have built a workplace and a workforce of the future, knowing that our decisions and investments of today are launching the industries of tomorrow. We have engaged a diverse and inclusive community of doers and dreamers alike, empowering all those working today to build satellites and constellations that will change the world.
At Virgin Orbit, we are opening space for good. Search all of our job openings on our career portal.
Integration Technician, 1st Shift
Virgin Orbit (VO) is seeking an experienced Integration Technician, 1st Shift with experience in final assembly, integration, or launch operations, of rockets, spacecraft, and aircraft. This role is for a hands-on person with great attention to detail and excellent people skills. This is a full-time position located at our beautiful Long Beach, California.
- Stage, set up, assemble, test and install flight hardware. Areas of work will include structural, mechanical, mechanisms, fluids, avionics, and separation systems
- Familiarity with these systems is valuable. As part of final integration and/or launch operations, you will have to check your own work and be certain that it was done perfectly
- Familiarity with high pressure gases, liquid oxygen, and oxygen cleaning procedures a plus
- Support vehicle checkouts, including leak checks of fluids lines, and power-on full vehicle system checks
- Support payload handling and integration operations, including handling of satellites and fairing/separation system installs
- Support vehicle transports, including loading, shipping, transportation, and post shipment checkouts
- Support launch operations, including launch day operations. Loading of gasses, fluids, and support launch procedures and checkouts
- Able to travel for short and extended trips if needed
- Must be available for all shifts, overtime and weekends if needed
- Use of mechanical tools and precision calibrated tools- torque wrenches, micrometers
- Hands on operations with both large as well as small fragile assemblies
- Reading and interpreting blue prints and work instructions
- Perform work according to procedures, specifications and test/work instructions
- Collaborate with production/build engineers to develop documentation of work activities
- Ensure all production services are performed on time, safely and in a professional manner
- Present solutions to management/leadership
- Must be a self-starter and previously worked across multiple teams within in a diverse project
- Assist with transitioning product from engineering development and initial production to full rate production
- Help Virgin Orbit do our part to make the world a better place.
- Constantly learn new things—and share them with your team members.
- Perform other duties assigned.
What you bring
If you want to join us, you’d better have all of these…
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience in an aerospace/aviation field (airframe, launch vehicle, military equivalent)
- Minimum 2 years in a manufacturing production environment
- History of monitoring, tracking and continually improving production and processes
- Ability and willingness to thrive in a fast-paced, rapidly changing work environment
- Driven, highly motivated, and committed to improvement
- Ability to add something unique and positive to our team
- Generally high level of all-around awesomenes
- Must be a U.S. person as defined by the ITAR (22 CFR §120.15).
- Passion for space exploration and a firm belief in the utility of affordable access to space.
- Ability and desire to perform in a fast-paced, rapidly changing work environment.
- Self-driven, highly motivated, and committed to improvement, inter-team communication skills, and attention to detail.
- Must be able to provide proof of US-approved Covid-19 full vaccination status, unless otherwise exempted by an approved reasonable medical or religious accommodation from Virgin Orbit.
… and you should probably have a bunch of these, too.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or in “STEM” Majors (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math)
- Certifications or similar within aerospace, aviation or automotive
- Graduated from a technical college or other recognized apprenticeship (A&P license)
- Safety training and/or safety certifications preferred
- Experience with applying Lean manufacturing principles
- Able to adapt to constant change within work assignments and a fast paced work environment
- Excellent concentration and attention to detail with outstanding work efficiency and accuracy
- Passion for space exploration and a firm belief in the utility of affordable access to space
- Ability to thrive as a ‘one person team’.
- Ability to add something unique and positive to our team.
- Generally high level of all-around awesomeness.
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by ITAR (22 CFR §120.15) or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
Our idea of a happy life: build rockets, work with brilliant people, serve purposeful customers, and open access to space. Sir Richard Branson’s belief is “If you get the perfect mix of people working for your company, you have a far greater chance of success.” From the very start, we have placed top priority on growing and fostering a team of creative, diverse, and talented women and men.
Stay in touch with the latest news and updates from Virgin Orbit by following us on:
YouTube Twitter Instagram Facebook LinkedIn
Virgin Orbit is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with Virgin Orbit is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.