As a patient-focused organization, University of Utah Health exists to enhance the health and well-being of people through patient care, research and education. Success in this mission requires a culture of collaboration, excellence, leadership, and respect. University of Utah Health seeks staff that are committed to the values of compassion, collaboration, innovation, responsibility, diversity, integrity, quality and trust that are integral to our mission. EO/AA
This position is responsible for providing respiratory care by determining and performing appropriate treatments for a variety of cardiopulmonary deficiencies. Presents diagnostic evaluations and subsequent education for on-going management and care to patients. This position may be required to work in one or more specialty areas. This position provides direct patient care and may be required to access and administer medications within their scope of practice and according to state law.
Corporate Overview: The University of Utah is a Level 1 Trauma Center and is nationally ranked and recognized for our academic research, quality standards and overall patient experience. Our five hospitals and eleven clinics provide excellence in our comprehensive services, medical advancement, and overall patient outcomes.
- Performs respiratory therapy with an understanding of the indications, contraindications, hazards, and precautions associated with all delivered therapy.
- Assesses the pulmonary status of patients receiving respiratory care and makes recommendations for therapy.
- Administers medical gases, aerosolized medications, and provides therapies to maintain bronchopulmonary hygiene per protocol.
- Supports ventilator dependent patients during intrahospital transport.
- Sets up, maintains and monitors mechanical ventilatory support.
- Performs airway clearance and lung volume expansion therapies and instructs patients regarding follow-up care.
- Functions as a member of the cardiac arrest, trauma, and other emergency teams as indicated.
- Attends and participates in physician led patient rounds as appropriate.
- May perform ECGs, ABGs, venipuncture, and other pulmonary or cardiovascular procedures as needed.
- May provide therapist driven protocol assessments, smoking cessation education, and sleep testing as needed.
Knowledge / Skills / Abilities
- Demonstrated potential ability to perform the essential functions as outlined above.
- Ability to provide care to the populations served.
- Demonstrated human relations and effective communication skills.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the principles of life span growth and development and the ability to assess data regarding the patient's status and provide care as described in the department's policies and procedures manual.
- Ability to transport, setup, and operate and maintain support machines.
- Ability to work effectively with other healthcare professionals with conflicting treatment philosophies.
- Bachelor's degree, or Associate's degree in Respiratory Care plus with (2) years of work experience as a Respiratory Care Practitioner.
- Current RQI Healthcare Provider eCredential through the University of Utah Health RQI system. The eCredential is to be obtained within 30 days of hire.
- Current licensure to practice as a Respiratory Care Practitioner in the State of Utah.
* Additional license requirements as determined by the hiring department.
- Current Registered Respiratory Therapist (RRT) credential with the National Board of Respiratory Care
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support card or Neonatal Resuscitation Program within one month of hire.
Working Conditions and Physical Demands
Employee must be able to meet the following requirements with or without an accommodation.
- This position involves intensive work that may exert up to 100 pounds and may consistently require lifting, carrying, pushing, pulling or otherwise moving objects, such as medical equipment, or patients while providing medical care.
Carrying, Lifting, Listening, Manual Dexterity, Non Indicated, Pulling and/or Pushing, Sitting, Speaking, Standing, Walking