Peraton is hiring a Systems Engineer. This position is 100% remote.
Act as a technical SME within the structure of the larger team, under guidance of the system architect, with a focus on system engineering and administration functions but also with networking tasks and functions. Support, monitor, and troubleshoot the software (and hardware) related to the Government owned, Peraton supported, infrastructure pertaining to network technologies installed in a Peraton lab environment and installed at customer locations. The core of the requirement is a Wide Area network (WAN) connecting four sites with carrier-class CISCO routers, and the associated Out-of-Band (OOB) network management system that is air-gapped from all other networks. Work independently or in small teams, with the rest of the WAN CFT team supporting security, documentation, project management as well as with the Systems Integrator (SI) ManTech and government personnel at the four government locations either remotely or on-site. Support ongoing patching and accreditation requirements for the systems being supported, as well as documentation requirements related to the monitoring of the systems.
- Manages task performance and ensures that tasks under assigned projects are completed to the satisfaction of the Peraton PMO, contract prime, and Government customers.
- Participate in assigned projects, leading others when applicable, and working independently on projects when appropriate. Work inside of the Peraton PMO team structure to accomplish tasks.
- Performs advanced technical tasks in assigned functional areas.
- Schedule and perform system maintenance, perform installation configuration and repairs, and support certification and accreditation activities within the Lab system, then follow established processes for air-gapped patching through the SI’s CM processes to the government locations.
- Work with the on-site SI FTEs for their support of the out-of-band management system(s) that are RHEL and VMWare focused, but also supporting the overall system.
- Support RHEL operating system to include maintaining repositories needed for patches required to maintain security posture, running scans and correcting security issues found by Nessus scans and resolving issues that might arise due to configuration changes. Work with the internal security team to ensure the security position is maintained at the level required.
- Provide input to the design of the system, out-of-band management components, and support certification and accreditation activities.
- Maintain RHEL satellite server and other systems to deploy updates to software or configurations to non-network system components. Export monthly updates from an online satellite server to air-gapped satellite server in support of maintaining operational status required by program.
- Support the process for routine monitoring of systems, patching, STIG compliance, and documentation related to these tasks to be updated based upon agreed upon requirements with the customer.
- Ability to troubleshoot selinux and fapolicyd process issues required to maintain system accreditation.
- Assists in preparation of technical and support documentation for projects assigned, primarily providing content support while working with team editor and documentation SMEs.
- Support the processes for maintaining logs for all devices to provide customer with results from log servers based on query information provided by customer. Includes working with internal Nagios applications, communicating with site FTEs, and directly providing on-site Tier-3 support is requested.
- Interacts with customers and on-site teams when on-site. Interacts with internal teams on a daily basis, as well as with the larger SI program teams as needed. Develop strong working relationship with customers at all levels.
- Interacts with vendors, subcontractors, other agencies, and other client staff on behalf of the Peraton PMO team and customer requirements.
- Support mission architecture to include Government owned systems and integrate hardware and software to satisfy ISO 9000 requirements and other DoD/IC regulations. As required by contract requirements.
- Ensures quality assurance of project deliverables, aligned to defined processes and requirements of the Peraton PMO team and the Government.
- Maintain relevant OEM credentials for system access, training, and software access.
- Maintain current knowledge of relevant technologies as assigned.
- Participates in special projects as required.
- Travel to support meetings with the program should be minimal. Travel to the primary customer site in Maryland expected once a month to support on-site requirements and work with on-site FTEs from the SI. Travel to other locations not expected. While on-site, expectation of interfacing with FTEs and government personnel.
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field of telecommunications, computer science, computer engineering, or information systems required and 10-12 years of experience. A Master’s degree and 8-10 years of experience or HS 14-16 eyars of experience.
- Solid technical knowledge of the principles, methods, and techniques involved in system administration and management of RHEL systems.
- Successful past experience providing holistic support to RHEL systems with customer interaction.
- Experience with LDAP and integrating Authentication, Authorization and Accounting for network and RHEL users and groups and supporting Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA) software.
- A wide and advanced knowledge base of the principles, methods, and techniques supporting IT installations for networking, compute, and security systems. Additionally, understanding of applications and platforms like VMWare, and operating systems including Windows and Linux are desired.
- Effective team skills and customer interaction experience.
- Outstanding interpersonal, organization, and technical skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Self-driven person with a desire to learn and support mission-driven DoD customers.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks concurrently within assigned areas.
- Current CompTia Security or the ability to achieve rapidly after hire, this is a DoD requirement (DoD 8570 (CSWF)) for privileged access to government networks.
- Ability to meet DoD requirements for badging and access, including but not limited to basic annual training, and site-specific access requirements.
- Active / current TS (preferably TS/SCI) DoD clearance, will require a TS/SCI very rapidly.
- Primary location will be in the northern VA/MD. Majority of work will be remote, with some amount of occasional access to the physical equipment in the Peraton or ManTech controlled labs.
- Experience with Red Hat systems, including Satellite Server and IDM.
- Certifications related to RHEL (RHCE) and VMWare desired. Additional certifications and/or relevant experienced should be obtained within reasonable timelines after hire.
- Ability to get a DoD CAC rapidly, issued through the program.
- IC direct experience is a plus.
- Previous military background is a plus.
- Willingness to obtain a CI-Poly if requested by the government. Currently not a requirement.
- Ability to help back up the network engineers on the team with CISCO routing and switching knowledge.
- Eight (8) years in the planning, design, development, implementation, and technical support of Red Hat Linux systems and core domain functions that also includes troubleshooting, documentation, and securing these environments.
- Six (6) years demonstrated experience in similar installations.
- Four (4) years demonstrated experience working within a team in a small to mid-size domain environment for system administration activities.
Benefits: At Peraton, our benefits are designed to help keep you at your best, beyond the work you do with us daily. We are fully committed to the growth of our employees. From fully comprehensive medical plans, to tuition reimbursement, tuition assistance, and fertility treatment, we are there to support you all the way.
Peraton drives missions of consequence spanning the globe and extending to the farthest reaches of the galaxy. As the world’s leading mission capability integrator and transformative enterprise IT provider, we deliver trusted and highly differentiated national security solutions and technologies that keep people safe and secure. Peraton serves as a valued partner to essential government agencies across the intelligence, space, cyber, defense, civilian, health, and state and local markets. Every day, our employees do the can’t be done, solving the most daunting challenges facing our customers.
An Equal Opportunity Employer including Disability/Veteran.
For Colorado Residents
Colorado Salary Minimum: $90,200 Colorado Salary Maximum: $218,800 The estimate displayed represents the typical salary range for this position, and is just one component of Peraton's total compensation package for employees. Other rewards may include annual bonuses, short- and long-term incentives, and program-specific awards. In addition, Peraton provides a variety of benefits to employees.