Under general direction, the individual will be responsible for process design, operation and implementation. Individuals in the Process Engineering Department are expected to perform the tasks listed under Essential Functions. In addition to these tasks, the Mechanical Process Engineer will act as the technical resource for mechanical processes and assemblies related to the Machine Shop and Tube / Weld Shop.
- Based on an understanding of the required outcomes, design processes and equipment related to the creation of products that are cost effective and in keeping with a given budget based.
- Implement process designs, create prototypes, design testing and make necessary modifications where required.
- Assess safety requirements and ensure that they are integrated into the process.
- Provide clear and detailed technical writing in support of company process and products such as BOMs, specifications, work instructions, QSARs, etc.
- Develop and optimize assembly aids and fixtures for production use.
- Recommend engineering changes to products to affect process and quality improvement.
- Identify process bottlenecks and work with the production teams to eliminate them.
- Work closely with other professionals such as design engineers and scientists to develop and research projects.
- Work with equipment manufacturers to identify and select new equipment and methods.
- Work closely with Quality Control to identify and resolve material and vendor related issues.
- Participate in continuous improvement and lean manufacturing practices including integrating new technology and environmentally friendly practices into existing processes.
- Work in a safe manner and in accordance with established operating procedures and practices.
- Observe all laws, regulations, and other applicable obligations wherever and whenever business is conducted on behalf of the company.
Education, Experience and Skills
- Bachelor’s Degree or higher in a related field such as Electrical Engineering, Industrial Engineering, Physics, Mechanical Engineering or Environmental Studies.
- Minimum of 4 years’ experience in process engineering functions related to mechanical, welding and dimensional product integration/manufacturing of product and supporting assemblies.
- Certifications favored include Professional Engineer License (P.Engr), Certified Professional Engineer (PE), Six Sigma qualifications and Project Management Professional (PMP)
- Proficient in the use of GD&T and measurement tools.
- Knowledge of Machine Shop Processes & Operations.
- Knowledge of 3D CAD programming including SolidWorks & GibbsCAM.
- Knowledge of Welding Standards, Processes & Operations.
- Strong English communication skills including strong technical writing skills and willingness to write. Must be able to create and write clear and detailed records and documents.
- Strong computer skills and ability to work within an ERP system.
- Familiarity with Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) and Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) principles.
- Familiarity with ISO9001, AS9100, ISO13485, ISO14001 and ITAR requirements is strongly desired.
- Ability to work independently, stay focused and perform in a fast-paced and deadline driven environment.
- Good analytical and problem solving skills, as well as a keen attention to detail.
- Project management, time management and leadership skills needed to ensure that all factors come together to complete a given assignment on time.
- Strong interpersonal and teamwork skills are necessary to enable individual work with all positions and personalities.
- We are a successful, growing contract design and manufacturing company located in the Carlsbad Research Center
- We are a mid-size company (70 employees) with a small company “family” feel
- We serve the semiconductor, medical, aerospace, and defense industries; our customers are industry leaders in their fields and we pride ourselves on the quality of service we provide
- We are very vertically integrated; our capabilities include: machining, high-purity welding, cleanroom, PCB, box build, and design engineering
What we offer:
- Medical, dental, vision, voluntary benefits
- PTO plan with paid winter shut down
- Supportive work/life balance culture
This position requires use of information which is subject to the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR). All applicants must be U.S. persons within the meaning of ITAR. ITAR defines a U.S. person as a U.S. Citizen, U.S. Permanent Resident (i.e. 'Green Card Holder'), Political Asylee, or Refugee.
MEI is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.