LC Stage Hand (Hourly)
Variable Hourly View Classifications & Benefits
$16.00 - 22.00 per hour (based on relevant experience)
Application deadline is Ongoing
The City of Fort Collins is a bias-conscious employer. We ask that you please avoid the use of photos when submitting a resume and/or an application for employment. You will receive an email acknowledgment when you have successfully submitted an application. Your completed application will be forwarded to the hiring manager. You will be notified if you are selected for further testing or interviews. Please keep your contact information up-to-date. The status of your application will be updated in your applicant profile. Post-offer background check required
Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply for jobs unless they believe they can perform every job description task. We are most interested in finding the best candidate for the job, and that candidate may come from a less traditional background. The City may consider an equivalent combination of knowledge, skills, education, and experience to meet minimum qualifications. If you are interested in applying, we encourage you to think broadly about your background and skill set for the role.
The Community: The City of Fort Collins sits nestled against the foothills of the Rocky Mountains alongside the banks of the Cache La Poudre River. At 5,000 feet in elevation, residents enjoy a moderate, four-season climate, with an average of 300 days of sunshine per year. With 174,800 residents, Fort Collins is Colorado’s fourth-largest city and spans 57 square miles. With the 20 year growth projection, the City of Fort Collins is expected to reach 255,000 residents.
The first people who hunted in this region arrived approximately 11,000 years ago, and Northern Colorado remains an integral part of the traditional and ancestral homelands of the Arapaho, Cheyenne, and Ute Nations. European-American trappers and traders arrived by the early 1800s but rarely established permanent settlements. Gold and silver discoveries in the Colorado mountains in the mid-1800s and the prospect of land for farming and ranching attracted people from eastern cities and across the globe to the Colorado Territory, including what would become the town of Fort Collins; an agricultural colony that emerged from its founding days as a military fort. The expansion included the sugar beet industry's growth, which brought new residents whose descendants still live here today, including Mexican-American families from southern Colorado, New Mexico, and northern Mexico, as well as Germans from Russia. Since 1879, Fort Collins has been the home of the state’s land grant institution, Colorado State University, which currently enrolls 34,000 students. Along with the university, the city’s major high-tech and manufacturing companies and breweries attract new residents from all over the country and world. The community’s overall social diversity continues to grow.
There are abundant outdoor recreation opportunities available to the many residents who enjoy healthy lifestyles. The nearby Horsetooth Reservoir is a key attraction, as is the Cache La Poudre-North Park Scenic Byway. The Downtown district provides many venues for live music, shopping, dining, and nightlife within the city. Fort Collins is widely considered the Craft Beer Capital of Colorado. The City has a strong appreciation for arts, culture, and entertainment. Various national organizations and magazines recognize Fort Collins as one of the best places to live in the nation.
The City’s long list of acknowledgements includes:
- No. 2 Best Tasting Drinking Water in North America: American Water Works – June 2021
- No. 5 Best Remote-Ready Cities: Livability.com Jan 2021
- Top 30 Creative Small Cities: CVSuite – May 2020
- No. 18 Safest Cities in America: SafeWise – April 2020
- No. 1 Best Place to Live: Livability.com March 2020
- No. 9 Most Fitness Friendly Places: SmartAsset – Dec 2019
- No. 7 Safest Driving Cities: Allstate – June 2019
- No. 4 Best U.S. Cities to Raise a Family: MarketWatch – April 2019
- No. 9 Best Performing Cities: Milken Institute – Jan 2019
- No. 3 U.S. Cities with Highest Economic Confidence: Yahoo – Nov 2018
- No. 2 Brain Concentration Index: Bloomberg – Nov 2018
- No. 1 City in America for Cycling: PeopleForBikes-May 2018
- Outstanding Achievement in Local Government Innovation Award: Alliance for Innovation-April 2018
- The Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award-Nov 2017
- 18th Best City for Career Opportunities: SmartAsset – Sep 2017
- 3rd Best College Town to Live in Forever: College Ranker – July 2017
- 25 Best Towns Ever: Where to Live Now: Outside Magazine – June 2017
- No. 1 Stable and Growing Housing Market: Realtor.com-June 2017
- 11th Happiest City in America: Yahoo! Finance - March 2017
- No. 9 Top 150 Cities for Millennials Report: Millennial Personal Finance - Feb 2017
- No. 2 Best Cities for Small Business Owners: ValuePenguin – Feb 2017
Why Work For the City of Fort Collins?
- Potential for paid personal leave and paid holidays
Employee Assistance Program: counseling, legal, and financial assistance
Wellness program, workout facilities
Personal & professional learning opportunities plus potential for career mobility
Collaborative work environment
SUMMARY: Under the direction of the Lincoln Center Theater Operations Manager , Production Coordinators and House Leads, assists during work calls for load in and load out of large professional touring shows. Duties may expand to technical support for local bookings or running crew positions.
Essential Duties: Stage Hands perform duties in support of backstage technical services. Assignments in areas of specialization and experience may be accommodated.
- Light crew works with the House Lead Technician or Touring Master Electrician in hang, focus, operation and maintenance of house light plot and road show rigs, as well as Follow spot operation.
- Sound crew works with the House Lead Technician or Touring Sound Engineer in set up, running cable, sound check, operation and maintenance of house sound system and/or road show systems.
- Stage carpenters assist Touring Master Carpenter in assembly and rigging of pre-constructed scenery.
- Wardrobe crew assists Touring Wardrobe Manager in organizing, preparation, maintenance and operation of wardrobe, acting as dressers during the show and being available for laundry and mending off-hours. Specialization in wigs a plus.
- ALL crews assist in unloading theatrical equipment from touring trucks to the stage and reloading at strike.
Demonstrated cultural competence to effectively interact, work, and develop meaningful relationships with people of diverse identities, perspectives, and cultural backgrounds.
Strong learning orientation. Leverages all resources and is creative in ways of learning for self to continue adapting to changing issues and trends.
A desire and ability to understand the diverse needs of internal and external customers, and to create experiences and deliver services that exceed their expectations.
A desire and ability to utilize digital tools for organizational information, individual, and teamwork.
Working Hours: Work is performed at various hours throughout the day, from early morning to late at night, and variously throughout the week. Work commitment can range from a few calls a few times per season to more regular scheduling, based on availability, experience, compatibility and scheduling needs.
Work Environment: Unloading/loading trucks and setting up touring equipment requires employees to work both onstage indoors and outdoors, under varying weather conditions.
Physical Demands: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, stand, walk, reach with hands and arms, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; and talk or hear. The employee must frequently lift, push or move up to 30 pounds, and occasionally team-lift, push and/or move up to 100 lbs.
A wide range of physical activity is associated with stage work. This includes lifting and pushing heavy objects with and without assistance, shifting wheeled crates, pulling ropes of counter weight systems, using hand tools, standing, sitting or walking. Occasional fine motor skills in wiring, sewing and fine work may be required.
At least 18 years old. Knowledge, experience, education and/or training in Technical Theatre skills required. The qualified applicant must be willing and able to do strenuous work in a productive and efficient manner. Follows directions and works well in team situations. Self-directed, responsible and uses good judgment. Presents a positive image while working in public settings.
The City of Fort Collins will make reasonable accommodations for access to City services, programs and activities and will make special communication arrangements for persons with disabilities. Please call (970) 221-6535 for assistance.
Notice Regarding Medical and/or Recreational Marijuana Use
Because the possession and use of marijuana, whether for medical use or otherwise, constitutes a federal offense and because the City is a drug free workplace, the City will not accommodate the medical use of marijuana and enforces written policy prohibiting working for the City while marijuana is in the body. The fact that state law recognizes medical marijuana as a prescribed, or otherwise permitted, medication does not alter or otherwise change this policy.
The City of Fort Collins is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Applicants are considered for positions for which they have applied without regard to gender (regardless of gender identity or gender expression), race, color, religion, creed, national origin, ancestry, age 40 years or older, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, genetic information, pregnancy or other characteristics protected by law. For the purpose of this City policy “sexual orientation” means a person’s actual or perceived orientation toward heterosexuality, homosexuality, bisexuality.
POST OFFER BACKGROUND CHECK REQUIRED.
Note: Some information in your application may be public information under the Colorado Open Records Act.