Performs a variety of duties in the Center, as a member of the surgical team. Scrubs on all types of cases performed at the Center, including general, GYN, orthopedic, ENT, plastic surgery, urology, laser and local cases. Assists in preparation for cases by "picking cases" and set-up and maintenance of sterile field. May also function as surgeon's second assistant.
- Prepares for next days scheduled procedures by picking cases, using surgeon's preference cards to assure that all necessary supplies, instruments and equipment are available. Labels cases and prepares a needs list accurately.
- Demonstrates appropriate sterile and aseptic techniques, always in the surgery suite.
- Performs scrub technician and surgery assistant function according to AORN Recommended Practices and Center policies:
- Anticipates needs of the surgeon and other members of the surgical team, such as instrumentation, sponges, sutures, suction and bovie (intra-operatively).
- Passes instruments to members of the surgical team in a safe manner and in such a way as to not divert attention away from the operative field, whenever possible.
- Handles sharps appropriately, per policy, to safeguard self and other members of the surgical team.
- Manages the operative field, including drapes, equipment, instrumentation, and personnel during the procedure and in a manner, which assures maintenance of the sterile field.
- Assists in observing the patient, during the operative procedure, for complications such as hemorrhage and furnishes equipment and supplies to provide for optimum patient outcome.
- Demonstrates care of delicate instrumentation by proper handling and storage of instruments used on assigned cases.
- Assists in disinfecting, cleaning and preparation for sterilization any instruments, equipment, and supplies utilized at Center.
- Demonstrates knowledge and ability to operate equipment used in processing instrumentation, such as an ultrasonic cleaner, washer-disinfector, Sterrad and autoclave, using the appropriate settings.
- Assists in surgery suite maintenance including case preparation, turn-over, and terminal cleaning. Follows AORN Recommended Practices and Center policy.