About the Position
Urban Planner / Designer | Watertown, MA
We are looking for someone with a passion for planning projects that make the communities in which we work more sustainable, resilient, and healthy, as well as to support important public and private projects. This is a challenging position with room to grow in a forward-thinking multi-disciplinary environment.
- Serve in a planning capacity for public and private projects throughout the New England Region, including site due diligence, GIS analysis, concept-level site planning, and housing and/or economic development strategy.
- Contribute to VHB’s comprehensive planning practice, with an emphasis on sustainability and public health, for towns and cities throughout New England, through spatial analysis, research, writing, and graphic support.
- Research and interpret land use, zoning, and environmental regulations.
- Provide support for urban design assignments, ranging from basic site capacity studies, to Transit-Oriented Development planning, to large-scale, mixed-use, urban design projects, including the use of 3D modeling programs and rendering (e.g., Sketchup, etc.).
- Support public outreach and engagement, with an emphasis on equity.
- Provide graphic support for reports and similar documents, including through the use of the Adobe Creative Suite (e.g., Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign, etc.).
- Interact with colleagues, clients, and other consultants to advance projects in an efficient and effective manner.
- Provide support in the preparation of local, state, and federal permitting submission documents for public and private projects, in coordination with a wide range of supporting technical specialties.
Skills & Abilities
- Ability to independently manage multiple tasks and interact appropriately and positively with clients
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Demonstrable passion for city planning and urban design
- Passion for PROMOTING EQUITY in communities large and small
- Passion for supporting SUSTAINABLE GROWTH
- Familiarity with ArcGIS, Sketchup, and the Adobe Creative Suite is a plus
- Understanding of sustainability and climate action/adaptation planning is a plus, including concepts such as Net Zero Energy, Net Zero Waste, etc.
- Understanding of planning for public health is a plus
- BS in city planning, urban design, or related field, MS degree a plus
- 1-3 years of relevant professional urban planning/design experience
- GIS / CAD / Adobe skills not required (but advantageous)
WE ARE VHB—a passionate team of engineers, scientists, planners, designers, and surveyors tackling exciting challenges in the transportation, real estate, institutional, applied technology, and energy industries—serving a range of public- and private-sector clients. At VHB, we are dedicated to improving mobility, enhancing communities, and balancing development and infrastructure needs with environmental stewardship.
- We are creative problem-solvers
- We work hard, and we give back
- We like our colleagues, and we love Mondays (really)
- We are diverse, caring, welcoming, and fun!
VHB has consistently been rated one of the top AEC firms to work for across our 30 offices on the East Coast. We’re growing, and we hope you’ll join us!
VHB is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, age or any other federally protected class.