Do you want to work for a stable, growing organization that reaches back more than 130 years? Our steel tube and pipe products have helped build landmarks and buildings in North America; Come build your career at Zekelman Industries!
Atlas Tube, a division of Zekelman Industries, Inc., seeks a Maintenance Technician for our plant located Birmingham Al. Reporting to the Maintenance Supervisor, this role is responsible for the safe repair and rebuild of tube mill production equipment to maximize quality, up time, rate and yield. This role requires high aptitude in regards electrical ability, troubleshooting and problem-solving skills in regard to equipment operation, process conditions in order to diagnose and resolve electrical/mechanical issues. This person will also complete preventive maintenance on gear reducers, motors, pneumatic tools, conveyor systems, and production machines.
- Ensuring equipment is maintained electrically following all of the defined safety procedures and that everyone working on the equipment is following these procedures, including LOTO.
- Ensuring that all guards and safety equipment are in place and operational before turning the equipment over to the operator.
- Checking stock to determine inventory level; anticipating needed equipment, parts, and supplies; placing and expediting orders; verifying receipt.
- Monitoring, inspecting and completing reports on equipment using manual and computerized maintenance management systems.
- Reading and interpreting information and specifications from blueprints, manuals, and schematic drawings in order to repair equipment, machinery, physical structures and systems.
- Initiating troubleshooting techniques to solve quality, process and electrical problems. Must be able to properly identify problem areas with consistency and reliability, if unsuccessful in making repairs, must notify supervisor for assistance.
- Performing all required electrical/mechanical tasks associated with breakdown maintenance, preventive maintenance and changeovers on production equipment.
- Reporting any safety, quality, operational or output issues that you cannot correct to your supervisor.
- Identifying sources of problems by observing mechanical devices in operation; listening for problems; using precision measuring and testing instruments.
- Controlling downtime by informing production workers of routine preventive maintenance techniques; monitoring compliance.
- Fabricating repair parts by using machine shop instrumentation and equipment.
- Maintains safe and clean working environment by complying with procedures, rules, and regulations.
- Ensure all work areas are inspection and audit ready after the completion of each mechanical task.
- Diagnose and repair various equipment such as production, testing equipment, conveyors, press equipment hydraulic, electrical and pneumatic systems.
- Fabrication, welding, torching
- Rebuild tools, gearboxes, spindles
- Operate powered industrial truck
- Operate overhead cranes and portable cranes
- Familiar with PLC functions and basic troubleshooting
- Work with team members to correct quality problems as well as continuous improvement projects
- Complies with the OSHA Safety Standards: Hazard Communication; Lockout; Permit Required Powered Industrial Trucks; P.P.E. and Ergonomics
- Motivates and guides co-workers.
- Repair Overhead Cranes
- Repair Lift Trucks
- Operate a Lift
- Regular full-time predictable onsite attendance per the posted schedule is an essential function of this role
- Other duties as assigned by Supervisor
- Lead and promote health and safety work practices as required by regulatory agencies and company policy
- High school diploma or equivalent, plus a minimum of 5 years of experience in a heavy manufacturing environment.
- Apprenticeship/journeyman training completion/status, military training relating to mechanical/electrical repairs or journeyman card; possess basic mechanic tools.
- Ability to communicate in English, use/maintain precession measuring equipment and testing devices, hand and power tools, basic math calculations, must be proficient reading drawings/schematics, and installation/maintenance of various systems, machinery, etc.
- Mechanical aptitude necessary for fulfillment of job requirements
- Must be able to interface with computers and be efficient at problem solving
- Job related testing is required & must be able to successfully pass an employment physical & drug screen.
- Ability to properly use required hand tools, power tools, hoists cranes, measuring devices and testing equipment.
- Has working knowledge of plant electrical/mechanical systems and PLC knowledge.
- Ability to provide feedback for writing new PM procedures along with LOTO procedures for routine maintenance repairs.
QUALIFICATIONS: The ideal candidate for the Maintenance Technician opportunity will possess an Associate’s Degree and at least 2 years of equivalent experience in a manufacturing environment. Completion of military service is considered equivalent to a 2 year degree.
- Must regularly lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- Must be able to walk or stand for extended periods of time to cover shift.
- Bend, Twist, Stoop, Sit, Kneel, Crawl, push and pull. Able to reach in all directions.
- Other physical requirements as needed for the job.
Zekelman Industries offers competitive compensation and excellent benefits, including low cost, high quality medical and dental benefits. In addition, we have an amazing tuition assistance program, a bonus plan, a 401(k) plan with a generous company match, immediate vesting and much more.
We are Zekelman Industries.
We manufacture superior quality tubular and related products and provide outstanding service for our valued customers.
We seek to continuously advance the skills and opportunities of our employees, utilizing the latest technology and management tools available to consistently increase profitability and the enterprise value of Zekelman Industries and of our customers.