Job Description Job Objectives:
Responsible for executing region healthcare strategies to integrate all Walgreens healthcare businesses offering products and services within an area, including retail pharmacy, clinics, and other business units as appropriate in conjunction with other key leaders. Facilitates and fosters a culture in which all Walgreens businesses form a cohesive team that supports overall business growth, drives patient health outcomes and executes on corporate initiatives within an area. Provides coaching and guidance to empower District Managers to drive pharmacy and healthcare initiatives, driving employee engagement and increasing overall performance and developing future leaders. Responsible for ensuring a high quality, distinctive and delightful customer experience across the area. Serves as the gold standard for the practice of pharmacy, driving ongoing Rx performance across the area. Owns compliance and adherence, partnering with Director Pharmacy and Retail Operations to drive execution. Champions and leads change in Pharmacy, translating the overall pharmacy/ healthcare strategy into actionable learning and practice for field and store leaders. Maintains a strong awareness and understanding of Pharmacy landscape to advise on opportunities. Accountable for Pharmacy talent pipeline, leading recruitment and development for Pharmacy Managers, Staff Pharmacists, Health Outcomes Pharmacist, and Pharmacy Scheduler, engaging District Managers in the process. May occasionally involve high performing SMs/ RXMs in the process as a developmental opportunity. Leads overall pharmacy engagement and clinical development for the area; coaches and develops field and store leaders to deliver the optimal patient experience. Accountable for pharmacist scheduling, payroll management and cost management. Job Responsibilities
About Walgreens and WBA :
- Ensures execution of Signature Pharmacy Health and Wellness programs and corporate strategic initiatives through focused store visits and coaching of District Managers. Through collaboration with the Director Pharmacy and Retail Operations, holds District Managers accountable for execution and performance on healthcare strategies.
- Manages performance of area through metrics and reports, using feedback from District Manager to target specific stores.
- Fields and resolves clinical communications escalated from stores; resolves appropriate patient complaints that are clinical in nature. Manages step one and step two of the STEPS approach for escalated clinical quality issues. Serves as the clinical expert in the Area, accountable for Retail. Engages with Pharmacy Managers directly on clinical matters.
- Market Development
- Maintains a strong awareness and understanding of Rx landscape to advise on opportunities (e.g. new patients/ buyouts).
- Grows/ maintains relationships with existing hospital systems as directed by the RHD.
- Attends events that enhance local health and wellness relationships.
- Business Performance Management
- Works with Director Retail and Pharmacy Operations to review area healthcare financials and KPIs to create action plans, conduct business forecasting and analysis for business planning sessions. Partners with Director Retail and Pharmacy Operations to develop pharmacy improvement plans and holds District Manager accountable for execution of plan.
- Provides input and insights to Regional Healthcare Director on Pharmacy Health and Wellness initiatives and successes.
- Business Planning
- Provides input to Director Pharmacy and Retail Operations on strategic priorities to inform region plans.
- Provides feedback to DPR on healthcare financials and KPIs to inform action plans.
- People and Performance Management
- Owns, develops and manages relationships with local schools, colleges and professional organizations.
- Owns the pharmacy manager talent strategy and pipeline, setting the recruitment strategy, identifying and coaching high potential pharmacy managers, and managing Performance Improvement Plans for Pharmacists.
- Provides input to Director Pharmacy and Retail Operations on District Manager performance reviews.
- Responsible for overall pharmacy engagement. Focuses on coaching and developing District Managers to enable execution of pharmacy responsibilities.
- Ensures compliance with all corporate policies, applicable employment laws, and is consistently fair in the treatment of all team members.
- Holds monthly touchpoints with District Managers on STARS reports. Ensures compliance on clinical quality related events, including coaching, training, and through resolution.
- Holds regular touchpoints and development conversations with Health Outcomes Pharmacist and Pharmacy Scheduler.
- Accountable for pharmacist scheduling, payroll management and cost management.
- Training and Personal Development
- Participates in training and supports training efforts where necessary.
- Seeks self development by monitoring own performance, setting high personal standards, increasing knowledge of retail, pharmacy and management fields, seeking and sharing best practices.
- Cascades healthcare related information from conference calls, regional meetings, and corporate initiatives. Reviews and cascades pharmacy related emails from Corporate and Regional Vice Presidents to District Managers, and Store Managers or Pharmacy Managers.
- Communicates regularly with managers and team members through one on one discussions, group meetings and in writing to keep them apprised, solicit input, answer questions and ensuring communication is open.
Walgreens (www.walgreens.com) is included in the U.S. Retail Pharmacy and U.S. Healthcare segments of Walgreens Boots Alliance, Inc. (Nasdaq: WBA), an integrated healthcare, pharmacy and retail leader with a 170 year heritage of caring for communities. WBA's purpose is to create more joyful lives through better health. Operating nearly 9,000 retail locations across America, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands, Walgreens is proud to be a neighborhood health destination serving nearly 10 million customers each day. Walgreens pharmacists play a critical role in the U.S. healthcare system by providing a wide range of pharmacy and healthcare services, including those that drive equitable access to care for the nation's medically underserved populations. To best meet the needs of customers and patients, Walgreens offers a true omnichannel experience, with fully integrated physical and digital platforms supported by the latest technology to deliver high quality products and services in communities nationwide. External Basic Qualifications
- Bachelor's degree in Pharmacy or Pharmacist Degree from an accredited educational institution (internal candidates); bachelor's degree in Pharmacy or Pharmacist Degree from an accredited educational institution and 5 years of retail pharmacy management experience (external candidates).
- Current pharmacist licensure in the states within the area and Illinois, or willing and able to obtain state licensure within 12 months of position start date.
- Immunization Certification (internal candidates) or willing to obtain certification within 12 months of hire date (external candidates). 3 years of combined experience as a pharmacy manager, registered store manager or registered District Manager (internal candidates).
- Performance rating of "Achieving expectations" or higher on last performance review and no written disciplinary actions in the last 12 months (internal candidates only).
- Valid driver's license.
- Willingness to work flexible schedule including extended days, evenings, and weekend hours.
- Willingness to travel 75% of the time for business purposes (within state and out of state).