Optum is a company that's on the rise. We're expanding in multiple directions, across borders and, most of all, in the way we think. Here, innovation isn't about another gadget, it's about transforming the health care industry. Ready to make a difference? Make yourself at home with us and start doing your life's best work.(sm)
This position will work Monday - Friday, 8:30am-5:00pm EST in the branch and will be required to go into the On - call Pharmacist rotation. Must live within a commutable distance to the Charleston, SC branch. IV compounding experience is a plus.
- Reviews medication orders and evaluates appropriateness and completeness of orders with consideration given to the special needs and behaviors of the specific age group served. Obtains patient prescription and assists physician, as necessary, in formulating prescriptions and monitoring regimen. Enters medication orders into the computer system and dispenses medications in an accurate and timely manner in appropriate quantities based on stability, compatibility of the drug and age specific needs of the patient. Verifies all prescriptions not directly received from the physician or the physician’s agent
- Assesses the patient at the initiation of drug therapy, develops a patient care plan and drug monitoring regimen and monitors the patient according to the care plan throughout the course of therapy
- Communicates with physicians in suggesting alternate or modified drug therapy programs that are the most cost effective. Communicates with the patient, physician, nursing staff, pharmacists and other members of the health care team regarding patient status, response to therapy and clinical objectives to ensure clinical outcomes is met
- Coordinates with nursing staff to assure the most cost-effective method of delivery is utilized to achieve expected outcome
- Information is input into the computerized software system to ensure accurate and timely dispensing and billing
- Coordinates the drug preparation work of pharmacy technician and checks the accuracy of that work prior to releasing the medications for distribution. Accurately checks medications prepared by pharmacy technicians
- Where applicable, compounds pharmaceuticals in an aseptic fashion according to literature guidelines. Compounds specialty drug products. Uses aseptic technique when compounding sterile drug products. Completes accurate documentation of items compounded and repackaged. Is familiar with, and strives to meet, various guidelines and recommendations as put forth by various governing bodies
- Is knowledgeable with regard to the proper use and handling of sterile and hazardous medications. Compounds and handles sterile and hazardous medications in accordance with established guidelines and regulations (i.e. USP <797>)
- Ensures compliance with all FDA, DEA, State Board of Pharmacy, OSHA and other regulatory standards. Follows all department policies and procedures. Participates in department staff meetings and other functions required in the department, maintains license, continuing education and competencies as required by the appropriate regulatory agency and department
- Complies with all applicable Federal, State pharmacy rules and regulations related to dispensing, controlled substances, etc.
- Ensures that all manufacturer requirements for REMS and / or other requirements are met when dispensing and / or shipping drugs
- Provide oversight of the safety; appropriateness, and effectiveness of the pharmaceutical care provide to patients (consumers) as it relates to specialty products dispensed
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- BS in Pharmacy or Doctor of Pharmacy degree
- Licensed pharmacist in the state of South Carolina
- 1 years of experience in a retail pharmacy setting
- Computer proficient especially with Microsoft Office programs
- Knowledgeable of the variety and complexity of pharmaceuticals, the types of medication orders and be able to fill medication orders accurately and in a timely manner
- Proficient in clinical patient monitoring and aseptic technique
- Full COVID-19 vaccination is an essential job function of this role. Candidates located in states that mandate COVID-19 booster doses must also comply with those state requirements. UnitedHealth Group will adhere to all federal, state and local regulations as well as all client requirements and will obtain necessary proof of vaccination, and boosters when applicable, prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation
- Home Infusion experience
- Experience with intravenous solution compounding
- Verbal and written communication skills, interpersonal relationship skills and problem-solving skills
To protect the health and safety of our workforce, patients and communities we serve, UnitedHealth Group and its affiliate companies require all employees to disclose COVID-19 vaccination status prior to beginning employment. In addition, some roles and locations require full COVID-19 vaccination, including boosters, as an essential job function. UnitedHealth Group adheres to all federal, state and local COVID-19 vaccination regulations as well as all client COVID-19 vaccination requirements and will obtain the necessary information from candidates prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation. Failure to meet the vaccination requirement may result in rescission of an employment offer or termination of employment
Careers with OptumRx. We're one of the largest and most innovative pharmacy benefits managers in the US, serving more than 12 million people nationwide. Here you’ll fill far more than prescriptions. As a member of one of our pharmacy teams, you’re empowered to be your best and do whatever it takes to help each customer. You'll find unrivaled support and training as well as a wealth of growth and development opportunities driven by your performance and limited only by your imagination. Join us. There's no better place to help people live healthier lives while doing your life's best work.(sm)
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.