JOB TITLE: Maintenance Technician PRN/As Needed
POSITION SUMMARY: Expertly performs maintenance tasks such as painting, carpentry, plumbing, electrical, preventive maintenance, repair of existing materials or grounds, grounds maintenance, HVAC and tests and assists the Director of Plant Operations with inspections of the physical plant.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND EXPERIENCES REQUIRED: Must be at least twenty-one (21) years of age or older; must have a high school diploma. 2-3 years of experience with physical plant maintenance all aspects of the physical plant required. Experienced in drywall, plumbing, lock/key setting, flooring, basic electrical, HVAC and Drain, Waste Vent and general plant maintenance is necessary. MUST be in good mental and physical health and willing to work in the patient care environment in the presence of psychiatric patients and families. Must be willing to wear PPE and necessary Safety Equipment. MUST have an unencumbered driver’s license and have the ability to operate facility vehicles and equipment safely. Able and willing to perform heavy lifting, furniture moving (with assistive tools) and physical chores inside and, when conditions warrant, outside the physical plant (snow shoveling, minor digging, etc.).
PERSONAL TRAITS, QUALITIES & APPTITUDES: Must have the ability to stand or walk up to eight hours and sit for up to two (2) hours. Must have the ability to spend twenty percent (20%) of the workday outdoors and eighty percent (80%) of the workday indoors in varying temperatures. Must have the ability to lift and carry up to thirty (50) pounds on a frequent basis and to bend, stoop, climb ladders and lift arms overhead as well as reaching with arms overhead. Must have the ability to communicate verbally, read and write the English language, see well enough to read written material and discern color visually as well as a variety of odors continuously. Must have the ability to handle hazardous/infectious waste on a rare basis. Must work continuously in an environment where the noise level is frequently high, chemicals are frequently used for cleaning, mechanical and electrical hazards may be present occasionally, and dust, must and steam are generated in frequent maintenance tasks. Must posses the ability to work independently and the willingness to cooperate with staff of all types as well as Department Heads. Must have a clean safety record and be comfortable in a patient care environment with Behavioral Health patients.
- Clean and change air filters, fixtures, fittings and gaskets as required through the Preventive Maintenance Program.
- Perform repairs to drywall, doors and windows to secure a safe environment.
- Perform simple electrical and plumbing repairs within parameters
- Perform regular inspections of HVAC and Drain/Waste/Vent systems and perform simple repairs within parameters of the hospital
- Perform plumbing, electrical and systems troubleshooting activities to maintain facility in working order
- Clean kitchen grease traps and stove hood filters.
- Dispose of infectious/contaminated waste from the facility.
- Maintain facility grounds in a neat and attractive appearance.
- Operate and maintain emergency power plant within parameters.
- Maintain all light fixtures in good working condition and change light bulbs as needed.
- Maintain and inspect fire safety equipment and eyewash stations on a regular Preventative Maintenance Schedule
- Perform preventive maintenance electrical test as well as the removal, installation and repair of various mechanical/electrical equipment with direct supervision of an experienced Maintenance Tech.
- Perform various cleaning and maintaining of equipment, tools and facility devices.
- Responsible for keeping tools and materials in good condition and in their proper location.
- Responsible for taking necessary safety precautions when handling hand/power tools and equipment.
- Take appropriate precautions ensuring proper tag out and lock out procedures when working on equipment.
- Comply with established measures for infection control, OSHA regulations, and Safety/Risk Management Plans, policies and procedures.
- Assist in assuring a safe environment and minimize risk of harm to staff and patients.
- Use time constructively and in an organized manner.
- Inventory, order or stock supplies and equipment or spare parts in order to maintain function in the hospital.
- Carry an on-call phone or cellphone for after-hours emergency maintenance needs on a rotation schedule.
- Perform any other required maintenance department or other duties as required
WORKING CONDITIONS: Inpatient units, support service area, outside grounds and other areas of the hospital. Hazards include risk of exposure to communicable disease and risk of physical injury associated with a patient population with the potential to lose control. Lifts up to 50 pounds regularly. May be exposed to confined spaces or conditions where the Technician needs to bend, stoop, crouch, kneel, crawl (on hands/knees), lift overhead, push/pull 50 lbs, or climb ladders to perform work. Must be able and willing to perform heavy lifting, furniture moving (with assistive tools) and physical chores inside (painting, flooring, installation of doors, plumbing fixtures, repair of plumbing) and, when conditions warrant, outside the physical plant (snow shoveling, minor digging, etc.).