Position Title: Executive Chef
Reports to: Executive Team
Supervises: Kitchen Department
The Executive Chef will oversee the daily operations of the restaurant and ensure that the delivery of quality, timely food is presented at all times while adhering to all health and safety code standards.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Ensure kitchen setup and breakdown is completed accurately;
- Maintain stock and conduct weekly inventory of all food items and supplies;
- Order food and supplies according to menu items;
- Ensure that all food items are prepared fresh, at the correct temperature and served accordingly for customer satisfaction;
- Capable of performing all kitchen positions;
- Completes duties of line cook with necessary;
- Ensures recipe books are current with menu items, portions, and ingredients.
- Assist with hiring and termination of staff;
- Conduct performance reviews for BOH staff and develop training programs when needed;
- Anticipate, identify, and correct issues with inventory, systems, and staffing;
- Provide management, supervision, and direction to kitchen staff;
- Designing new recipes, planning menus, and selecting plate presentations;
- Work with Management to discuss pricing and potion sizes;
- Schedule kitchen staff according to business needs;
- Train kitchen staff on the correct preparation and plating of menu items;
- Maintain daily, weekly, and monthly budget reports;
- Prepare and organize all required order forms and reports for Management;
- Handle customer complaints and feedback.
Healthy and Safety
- Provide safety training in first aid and CPR and location of onsite first aid kit;
- Thorough knowledge of food safety procedures;
- Ensuring that all food items and products are stored according to manufacturer and safety regulations;
- Ensure that a clean and sanitized working environment is maintained;
- Ensure that staff follow the restaurant's preventive maintenance measures;
- Provide safety training to ensure the safe operations of all kitchen equipment and the correct handling of heavy items;
- Maintain appropriate cleaning schedules for kitchen floors, mats, walls, hoods, other equipment, and food storage areas
- Ensure the correct disposal of hazardous materials.
Other Duties Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job.
Work Environment and Physical Demands
The physical demands/conditions described below are representative of those that must be met/tolerated by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these essential functions.
- Stand for sometimes long and continuous periods of time;
- Use stomach and lower back muscles to support the body for long periods without getting tired;
- Repeat the same movements for long and continuous periods of time;
- Ability to use hands to handle, control or feel objects, tools, and controls;
- Use fingers to grasp, move, or assemble very small objects;
- Make quick, precise adjustments to machine controls;
- Ability to bend and twist at waist;
- Use muscles to lift, push, pull, or carry heavy objects;
- Lifting up to 50 lbs.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment;
- Exposure to moderate, sometimes loud noise level.
Incumbents must demonstrate the ability to follow policies and procedures as established in the Company's Employee Handbook. Incumbents will also contribute to a positive work environment by behaving and communicating in a manner such that they get along with all constituent groups, co-workers, and management.
In addition, the education, experience, and other skills listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required.
- High School Diploma or GED equivalent
CERTIFICATIONS, Licenses, and Registrations
- Current SERVSAFE Certification
- Previous experience as a Head Chef preferred;
KEY SKILLS SET
- Strong organizational, time-management, attention to detail;
- Strong problem-solving skills and ability to meet tight deadlines;
- Excellent communication skills;
- A strong base of culinary knowledge;
- Strong coaching and people-development skills
- Strong leaderships, interpersonal and conflict resolution skills;
- Team player.
EQUIPMENT AND APPLICATIONS
- High proficiency of all kitchen tools and equipment;
- Working knowledge of all standard office equipment.
The duties of this position may change from time to time. Toast Kitchen & Bar reserves the right to add or delete duties and responsibilities at the discretion of Toast Kitchen & Bar or its managers. This job description is intended to describe the general level of work being performed. It is not intended to be all-inclusive.
Toast Kitchen & Bar is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, gender (including gender identity or expression), pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, sexual orientation, marital status, domestic violence, sexual violence or stalking victim status, ancestry, national origin, alienage or citizenship, age, disability, military or veteran status, genetic information or predisposing genetic characteristic, or other protected status.