Maintain professional conduct for all kitchen operations. Oversee staff as well as production of CDR, Banquets, buffets and any other food functions. Maintain a sanitary environment as described by the Health Department. Protect assets of the company; ensure staff are properly trained on a continual basis; develop new menu items and detail specifications and presentations of the same.
· Maintain a great attitude and professionalism at all times.
· Assume authority in absence of Executive Chef and Executive Sous Chef.
· Communicate and anticipate needs of Pastry Chef and Banquet Chef.
· Assign work for crew.
· Monitor par levels of the following but not limited to; stock, sauces, demi-glace, granite, fromage blanc.
· Check BEOs, reservations book and house counts to anticipate daily business levels.
· Insure quality levels of prep for day, night and banquet crews.
· Monitor dish room duties including but not limited to cleaning schedules, cleaning cycles, dish machines filters, chemicals,
pace and specific storage areas for supplies and equipment.
· Communicate any specials, outages or other issues that would affect CDR Manager/Host.
· Ensure proper efficiency of Line Cooks through monitoring progress and techniques of prep.
· Oversee product utilization of trim and other scrap products as well as banquet and buffet left over’s for salable application or
· Train Line Cooks for new menu items and top quality food production, maintain daily menu items such as but not limited to
soups, sauces, garnishes, through tasting, testing and development of techniques for all items introduced to operation.
· Be able to run any station alone or assist others as necessary.
· Insure proper cleaning/breakdown of all stations and kitchen facility at end of business day.
· Maintain communication with service staff, banquet staff, host, MOD and other supervisors.
· Maintain clock in/outs in Paylocity in absence of Executive Sous Chef.
· Maintain good professional and non-adversary communication with staff members.
· Communicate with lodge supervisors and F&B outlets to insure quality and efficiency.
· Monitor and control labor and food costs on a continual basis to achieve budget target.
· Elevate standards of performance with staff, research and develop exciting new food trends.
· Conduct weekly kitchen staff meetings, schedule staff shifts and breaks per guide lines.
· Verbally present nightly specials and tasting with service staff.
· Conduct personal orientation with new service staff.
· Perform other related duties as needed by hotel kitchen management.
· Schedule crews for – dish area, line cooks. Coordinate days off and vacations.
· Communicate purchasing needs to Purchasing Manager and Executive Chef.
· Attend all Manager/Supervisor training scheduled by HR.
· Coordinate holiday menu prep, staffing, logistics and pre-plan seasonal menu changes.
· Recruit and hire qualified staff members throughout the year according to business levels and needs.
· Plan special event menus as needed.
· Other duties as assigned by Timberline management.
· Ensure recyclable materials from your area of business are taken to correct location and placed in appropriate containers.
· Present a professional, quality image at all times.
· Exercise sound judgment and awareness regarding language, behavior, and dress and grooming.
· Be familiar with Timberline Lodge and Ski Area information and communication network.
· Regular and reliable attendance.
· Must be service oriented.
· Culinary School diploma or equivalent experience required.
· Must be detail oriented with ability to set and meet high customer service standards.
· Must use proper etiquette while conversing with guests.
· Must have detailed knowledge of all menu offerings.
· Must have excellent communication skills.
· Must be able to plan and cost menus.
· Must have valid OLCC and Oregon Food Handlers permit.
· Must be able to lift 50 lbs.
· Must be flexible and capable of bending, twisting and kneeling.
· Must be able to work in tight spaces.
· Must be able to work on feet, stand and walk for up to 8 hours at a time.
· Must be able to keep up with the pace of the department/position demands.
The job skills required for Sous Chef include Food Quality, Customer Service, Presentation, Purchasing, detail oriented etc. Having related job skills and expertise will give you an advantage when applying to be a Sous Chef. That makes you unique and can impact how much salary you can get paid. Below are job openings related to skills required by Sous Chef. Select any job title you are interested in and start to search job requirements.