The Morgridge Institute has more than a dozen research labs spanning cutting-edge fields in biomedical research, as well as robust public programming geared for the science-curious public. The institute also is positioned for further growth in the years ahead. Morgridge is looking for an enthusiastic, science-savvy and versatile science editor who can help Morgridge investigators refine their scientific materials, provide technical editing support and amplify the institute’s impact in the scientific community. The successful candidate will join a talented group of communications professionals who are dedicated to translating compelling scientific pursuits for a variety of public audiences. While the position resides with the communications team, the individual will serve as a general editorial resource for our scientists as opportunities arise.
• In close coordination with individual investigators, provide writing and editing expertise for grant applications and reports to external sponsors and funding agencies.
• Consult with and support investigators and trainees on writing and editing of papers, reports and scientific presentations, while demonstrating a comfort level with topics of moderate to high complexity.
• Work with scientists to enhance the clarity, coherence, and organization of their materials while ensuring compliance with established rules of grammar and syntax.
• Provide additional writing and editing for the Morgridge communications team to support its public-facing print, web and social media platforms.
• Provide training and coaching to scientists, especially early-career trainees, on how to compellingly communicate their research to non-technical audiences.
• Serve as liaison between scientists and graphic designers and artists to help develop visual materials that powerfully convey research concepts and advance understanding of complex topics.
• Perform other miscellaneous duties as required.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each primary duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the primary duties.
Education and Experience
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
In order to ensure the safety of our workplace, proof of COVID-19 vaccination is required unless an exemption is granted for medical, disability or religious reasons.