CONTROLLER JOB DESCRIPTION
Strategy, Planning and Management
- Be a strategic business partner to senior executive leadership team.
- Assess and evaluate financial performance of the organization regarding long-term operational goals, budgets, and forecasts.
- Provide insight and recommendations to both short-term and long-term growth plan of the organization.
- Evaluate departments and make suggestions for automating processes and increasing working efficiency.
- Communicate, engage, and interact with the Board of Directors, CEO, and Executive Leadership Team.
- Create and establish yearly financial objectives that align with the Company’s plan for growth and expansion.
- Select and engage consultants, auditors, and investors.
- Recruit, interview and hire finance, accounting, and payroll staff as required.
- Participate in pivotal decisions as they relate to strategic initiatives and operational models.
- Implement policies, procedures and processes as deemed appropriate by the senior leadership team.
Financial Analysis, Budgeting and Forecasting
- Prepare and present monthly financial budgeting reports including monthly profit and loss by division, forecast vs. budget by division and weekly cash flow by division.
- Review and analyze monthly financial results and provide recommendations.
- Identify, develop, and execute analysis of business initiatives, product launches and/or new service offerings.
- Develop and maintain monthly operating budget and annual company operating budget.
- Manage financial planning and analysis department. Supervise creation of reports, software implementation and tools for budgeting and forecasting.
- Participate in weekly meetings with the Executive Leadership Team.
Accounting, General Ledger, Administration and Operations
- Supervise the accounting department to ensure the proper functioning of all systems, databases, and financial software. Provide regular maintenance and backup of all accounting systems and supervise company financial staff.
- Maintain the Deferred Billings Schedule and respective month-end accounting entries.
- Review and ensure application of appropriate internal controls, compliance, and financial procedures.
- Ensure timeliness and accuracy of financial and management reporting data for our investors and board of directors.
- Oversee the preparation and communication of weekly, monthly, and annual financial statements.
- Oversee the preparation and timely filing of all local, state, and federal tax returns.
- Work with Human Resources to ensure appropriate legal compliance.
- Oversee the month-end close process, constantly reviewing procedures while eliminating inefficiencies.
- Serve as a key point of contact for external auditors. Manage preparation and support of all external audits.
- Manage cash flow planning process and ensure funds availability.
- Maintain outstanding banking relationships and strategic alliances with vendors and business partners.
- Utilize forward-looking models and activity-based analyses to provide financial insight into the organization’s plans and operating budgets.
- Manage weekly cash management and AP Department, approve payables, sign checks, authorize wires and ACHs.
- Supervise Accounts Receivable management and provide guidance relating to the collection process.
Controller – Position Requirements
- Bachelor Degree in Accounting
- CPA Preferred
- Background in Big 4 Public Accounting Preferred
- Knowledge and understanding of GAAP.
- Background coordinating with I.T. staff to manage and/or upgrade accounting system. Systems implementation experience strongly preferred.
- “Hands On” Quickbooks Experience Preferred
- Outstanding communication and presentation skills.
- Demonstrated leadership ability, confidence, and executive presence – ability to motivate staff.
- Excellent analytical, reasoning, and problem-solving skills
- Significant experience working with external auditors, internal controls and compliance-related issues.
1 Month Ago