Accounting Manager will be responsible for managing the accounting department on day-to-day basis in order to efficiently close the month-end accounting cycle. Will also take charge for generating and providing accurate reporting and analysis of all expense and income accounting for all commercial and Multifamily properties; includes closely monitoring the process in the department by reviewing operating and financial statements and ad hoc managerial reports.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Full-cycle accrual accounting is applied for both commercial and residential portfolios; the Accounting Manager will work with the staff to ensure proper expense accounting, accuracy of entries and accurate and timely monthly closings by analyzing and reconciling various General Ledgers and CAM charges. Will review and monitor accrual schedules for property taxes, depreciation, amortization, and insurance while preparing and inputting journal entries.
- Effective asset management by working with the Property Management team to review variances, audit and reconcile yearly CAM charges. Will work the staff to recommend and execute expense re-classes as appropriate; while providing timely and accurate financial information to managers to support budgeting and forecast activities as needed.
- Reviews new leases set up in Yardi and ensuring the lease charge schedules are entered accurately
- Work with the staff to help property managers with tenant ledger reconciliations and review of AR report to make sure outstanding ARs are collected on timely basis. Also research and approve tenants credits, nonrecurring charges
- Oversee the process of monthly commercial billings which include getting Property Managers’ approval and sending out rent statement for the entire commercial portfolio; also responsible for overseeing staff who will be preparing tenant security deposit using Yardi deposit accounting function and reconciliation of security deposits to the subsidiary ledger on monthly basis
- Manager and oversee the weekly check run which encompasses review of AP batches to ensure expenses are coded properly and necessary approvals are obtained before the checks are signed. In addition to weekly check run, the Accounting Manager will be directly responsible for filing 1099s.
- Oversee and review monthly bank reconciliation using Yardi bank reconciliation function including follow up on outstanding checks, deposits and adjustments
- Prepares annual budget assumptions that the accounting department is responsible for including property taxes and insurance.
- Contribute to the effectiveness of the accounting department by working with the Department Manager and external auditors to analyze current processes, recommend improvements and implement new processes.
- Coordinate refund of tenant security deposits.
- Assist the Department Manager in the preparation and review of investors’ K1s and 1099’s
- Other duties may be assigned.
- Understands and applies GAAP in income and expense accounting.
- Understands and applies CAM charges accordingly.
- Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness.
- Analyzes and reports on complex and diverse financial information.
- Develops realistic project plans; coordinates projects through completion by deadline.
- Manages competing demands.
- Responds promptly to internal and external customer needs.
- Participates in meetings.
- Contributes to group efforts and shares knowledge and expertise with co-workers.
- Writes clearly and presents numerical data effectively.
EDUCATION AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Five to eight years of accounting experience generating and analyzing financial statements within the Real Estate Property Management Industry.
- Bachelors degree in Accounting or Finance.
- Experience with Yardi accounting software
- Strong MS excel skills and proficiency with other MS office software.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Reasonable accommodations may be for individuals with disabilities.
About Starpoint Properties
StarPoint Properties is a real estate investment and operating company that focuses on multi-family and commercial properties.