We are in immediate need for a Mechanic 1 to work with an industrial company located in the city of Vernon, CA. This is a 3rd shift position offering a full time schedule, Mon - Fri, 9:00PM - 5:30AM, full benefits, $7,500 signing bonus, and starting pay of $27.60.
- Receive a $7,500 signing bonus (paid in installments over 15 months)
- Fantastic benefits - paid family medical and defined benefit pension plan
- Great Company that is employee, community and family-focused
Job Purpose: Requires a CDL. Safely and efficiently diagnose, adjust, repair, or overhaul trucks, or maintain and repair any type of diesel engines. (Includes mechanics working primarily with heavy diesel engines). Requires following safe work practices including but not limited to, hazardous materials, lock out tag out, confined space entry, ladder and climbing safety and hot work.
Mechanic 1 Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist with daily vehicle inspections
- Perform routine maintenance such as changing oil, checking batteries, and lubricating equipment and machinery
- Inspect, test, and listen to defective equipment to diagnose malfunctions, using test instruments such as handheld computers, motor analyzers, chassis charts, and pressure gauges
- Perform repairs and replacement of the following systems: engine, aftertreatment, transmission, clutch, air brake, wheel end assembly, suspension, cooling, coupling, charging, light systems, vacuum and hydraulics
- Fabricate, recondition and replace parts as needed
- Detail wash parts with industrial steam cleaner machine
- Use hand tools such as screwdrivers, pliers, wrenches, pressure gauges, and precision instruments, as well as power tools such as pneumatic wrenches, welding equipment, and jacks and hoists
- Test drive trucks to diagnose malfunctions or to ensure that they are working properly.
- Raise trucks, heavy parts or equipment using hydraulic jacks or hoists.
- Clean work area, machines and equipment using shop air, broom, mop and industrial water hose
- Follow department and company procedures
- Keep up regular attendance and punctuality; regular attendance and punctuality are essential for the smooth operation of this company
- Other duties as assigned
- Knowledge of repair and maintenance of commercial vehicle operating systems
- Knowledge of safety equipment, policies and procedures
- Skill to maintain and repair equipment using appropriate tools
- Ability to arc weld and MIG weld
- Certification for air brake system repairs
- Ability to use English to communicate verbally and in writing
- High school diploma or equivalent; maintenance vocational education training preferred
- 2 years experience in an enclosed garage maintenance manufacturing
- Local travel; less than 5% overnight travel
Physical Demands/Requirements:Constantly (over 2/3):
- Operates and uses maintenance/mechanic tools including electrical hand tools
- Ascends/descends equipment to perform maintenance on vehicles
- Must be able to position self to maintain equipment or perform duties of repairing and maintaining vehicles and work equipment.
- Must be able to move around industrial equipment in manufacturing facility and garage workshop
- Must be able to detect and observe equipment in need of repair
- Exposed to chemicals and fumes common in the use of commercial vehicles; must be able to properly protect self and others from exposure
- Communicates with staff in the process or repairing equipment
- Move and transport material, equipment and tools up to 70 lbs with and without specialized lifting, moving and rigging equipment
- Moves across wet/slippery and uneven surfaces
- Occasionally (under 1/3):
- Exposed to work in outdoor weather conditions
- Remains in a seated position while using multilimbed coordination to operate vehicles.