Job Title: Senior Network Engineer
Job Location: Remote
Job Type: Full time 40 hours
Travel Requirement: Up to 25%
Security Clearance: Ability to obtain and maintain a Secret Clearance
The Senior Network Engineer designs, engineers, and maintains enterprise and tactical networks to provide secure and reliable communications. The Senior Network Engineer analyzes customer requirements and applies industry-leading technology, methodology, and architecture to develop detailed solutions. Network Security must consider all aspects of protocols utilized, design, and analyze new or existing complex IT solutions primarily for U.S. Government customers. These solutions may include providing visibility, oversight, and management of mission-critical network infrastructure spanning multiple sites; troubleshooting inter- and intra- theater connections; or researching and deploying emerging technologies to optimize networks, including the use of software-defined networking and network virtualization.
- This role provides network solutions and engineering support for designing, configuring, implementing, operational management, and troubleshooting enterprise and tactical networks, including network planning and security controls. The responsibilities include conducting Enterprise/Tactical level Network Engineering and IP address/VLAN management for each deliverable.
- Demonstrated competence with the following protocols and technologies:
- Routing protocols (OSPF, EIGRP, BGP, DMVPN, MPLS) and Multicast PIM/SM protocols. Switching protocols (Spanning Tree, MSTP, PVST, RPVST , MAB, VRF, VLAN and private VLAN). DMVPN technologies (NHRP phase 1-3, per tunnel QoS, ISAKMP/IKE, IPSEC, EZVPN and site-to-site VPN). IP services (AAA, QoS, IP SLA, EEM, Syslog, HSRP, VRRP, GLBP and NTP). Network management tools and protocols (NetFlow, SNMPv3, Cisco ACS / ISE).
- Oversees administration of Wide Area Network/Local Area Network Systems Infrastructure including BGP/MPLS topologies, IP subnets, VLANs, HCLOS / Wireless Systems and directs subordinate engineering and circuit actions teams.
- Leads the engineering design, testing, and deployment of new technologies. Develops and executes detailed plans for infrastructure improvements, lifecycle replacement, firmware updates, application of new STIGs and security policies.
- Collaborates with personnel throughout multiple locations.
- Configures and troubleshoots network transport, application services such as SIP based apps, Radio over IP gateways, Push to Talk, and TAK.
- Works closely with Systems, Virtualization, and Cyber Security Engineers as the network transport is a common element supporting interaction across all areas.
- Works with supervisors, US military leaders, DoD civilians, other contract entities and team members, ensuring network performance for supported organization(s).
- Leads a team of network engineers on-site and assists when necessary (either remotely or in person).
- Develops and maintains documentation for solutions.
- Maintains DoD 8570.01-M compliance for IAT Level III.
- CCNA or equivalent
- Demonstrates at least ten (10) years' enterprise-level experience collectively in each of the following protocols and technologies areas:
- Switching protocols (Spanning Tree, MSTP, PVST, RPVST , MAB, VPC, VSS, VLAN and private VLAN). Routing protocols (OSPF, EIGRP, DMVPN, MPLS, VRF) and Multicast protocols
- Understanding of PIM-SM/Multicast routing, rally points, IGMP and methods for IP Video distribution over multicast networks is desired
- IP services (QOS, IP SLA, EEM, Syslog, HSRP, VRRP, GLBP and NTP)
- AAA systems (Cisco Secure ACS / ISE), TACACS and application of X.509 device certificates for authentication and network access control (NAC) systems such as 802.1X
- Network management tools and protocols (NetFlow, SNMPv3, ACS). SolarWinds experience required with demonstrated ability to operate and maintain management servers
- HW experience with networking equipment from multiple vendors and Cisco ASR, ASA, and Nexus, Palo Alto, JunOS, Sophos, Microwave Wireless Bridging, and VSAT systems
- Thorough understanding of OSI model and ability to troubleshoot various applications at all levels as networking extends into the virtual datacenter environment
- Must be experienced with IP subnetting , VLSM methods is desired
- Load Balancers/ADC's (A10/F5) experience is desired
- SSLi Break/Inspect (Gigamon/A10/F5) is desired
- Virtualized environments such as Docker Container, VMware/Nutanix networking experience desired in addition to experience with SAN transport and connectivity requirements.
- Designing and planning Mobile Packet Backbone Network (MPBN)
- Must have excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Fluent with Microsoft Office Suite (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and Visio)
- Must be a US citizen
- Must pass a background check and drug screening
- CCIE preferred
- CCNP preferred
- SD-WAN preferred
- Tactical Radio knowledge a plus
About Sherpa 6:
At Sherpa 6 we love to solve problems and provide the best solutions for our customers. Our approach to a problem is to find a user-focused and design-driven solution that is simple yet functional and effective. We are a group of enthusiastic forward-thinkers who are excited to build amazing solutions with bleeding-edge technology. We hire people who are forward thinkers, passionate about what they do, love to collaborate and want to constantly learn. We enjoy what we do and we're not afraid to put the extra effort in to accomplish the mission; call us Sherpas. As a Service-Disabled Veteran Owned Small Business, we know what it means to serve. We have made it our mission to be the leaders in solutions that protect and give our Warfighters the edge they need when put into harm's way.
Successful completion of a background screening/check/investigation will/may be required as a condition of hire.
Sherpa 6 will make reasonable accommodations in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act 1990
Sherpa 6 does not discriminate based on race, color, national origin, sex, religion age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, height, weight, or marital status in employment or the provision of services and is an equal access/opportunity/affirmative action employer.
We offer a competitive benefits package, covering the cost of medical for you and your family; we also offer dental, vision, health and wellness benefits and a generous retirement savings plan. We believe that our employees can manage their workload and their personal life, therefore we extend a generous PTO policy. This allows our employees to balance their lives as they see fit.