Manufacturing Production Supervisor (2nd Shift, 4-10 Work Schedule)
Location: Central Southwest Houston Area, TX 77085
Compensation: $50,000 - $65,000 (commensurate with experience)
Work Schedule: 2nd Shift: 2:30PM – 12:30AM Monday - Thursday.
Must be able to train on 1st Shift (Monday - Friday 6A to 3:30P) for 2-4 weeks before transferring to 2nd Shift.
The Manufacturing Production Shift Supervisor is a hands-on role performing frontline supervisory functions and is responsible for safety, corrective action, employee relations, housekeeping and performance reviews for the 2nd shift of hourly employees as well as making recommendations to improve production methods, equipment performance and quality of product. Supervises, directs, advises, and trains manufacturing team members in accordance with established procedures to ensure production demands are met. Ensures all activities are focused on meeting production goals/quotas, quality, and safety. Accuracy is crucial to our production, so all candidates must have attention to detail.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Hands-on managing and facilitating the safety, quality, productivity, and cost performance of the 2nd shift production of building products of windows, frames, doors and components.
- Responsible for overseeing 2nd Shift production activities and achieving production targets with required capabilities, yield, and lead time in accordance with procedures.
- In conjunction with appropriate plant leadership, develops and implements staffing guidelines to maximize utilization manpower while controlling manpower costs.
- Hires, supervises, evaluates, and replaces staff as required to ensure performance objectives are met/exceeded.
- Optimize the machining processes in terms of consistent quality and productivity and recommends the modification of procedures, work instructions and/or operator instructions
- Assist operators with machine/quality issues and run machines as needed.
- Maintain a high degree of leadership and supervisory skills including: developing and training teammates so they are prepared to assume positions of increasing responsibilities; evaluate teammates during their probation period and annually and give feedback to perform better; and hold shift meetings for Safety and Production items as instructed by the manager.
- Provides technical leadership and training to shift personnel in areas that may include line setup/operation, testing, tooling, troubleshooting, machine metrics definition/reporting, changeover, safety procedures, record keeping, and training facilitation.
- Identifies potential career paths for associates and works with associates to develop their skills and knowledge in order to progress within the company. Provides documentation and follow up to training and job responsibilities.
- Interviews qualified candidates for manufacturing positions and recommends candidates for hire.
- Assigns personnel to assembly lines or production areas and oversees line or area rotations and break schedules during assigned shift(s) by maintaining a high degree of communication skills to accomplish seamless shift changes and troubleshooting progress.
- Completes or oversees completion of paperwork relative to line operation, operator logs, PM logs, audits, and corrective action.
- Interrupt the normal flow of work to respond to any short notice production or shipping needs.
- Knowledge and understanding of all safety policies and regulations and ability to address all unsafe acts and conditions.
- Administers policies in a fair and consistent manner.
- Provides coaching and counseling to associates and corrective action when needed, always following the company guidelines.
- Ability to promote overall goals of company in safety, quality, delivery and cost.
- Identifies and assists with implementations for continuous process improvement.
- Uses statistics to help better control the assembly lines and/or production or assembly process.
- Ensures proper housekeeping of work areas are being conducted and are kept clean and organized and all machines, tools, and equipment and work surfaces free of oil, grease, etc. are ready for next shift changeover.
Education and Experience
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED) is required
- Bachelor degree in Industrial Technology, Management, Engineering, or related discipline preferred or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Minimum 3 years of hands-on experience in a supervisory/leadership role in a manufacturing environment or comparable work environment
- Experience with ERP Software a plus
- Experience in machinery and tools used in a machine shop production assembly line.
- Experience managing and motivating employees and work well with co-workers
- Experience using various Quality measuring instruments such as micrometers, calipers, rulers, and tape measures; must have good manual dexterity
- Must be safety conscious working with equipment and follow safety procedures.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Highly skilled, independent, and self-motivated individual proficient in all areas of production operation and able to demonstrate good judgement
- Knowledge in design, mathematics, mechanics, processing and production
- Understand specifications of the task at hand and the desires result by reading blueprints, drawings, etc.
- Computer skills required in MS Office – Outlook, Word, and Excel
- Organized, thorough, and good time-management to work under pressure
- Knowledgeable in the verification of parts using precision quality measuring instruments
- Highly developed oral and written communication skills, combined with the ability to educate and train non-degreed operators and technicians in a production environment.
- Ability to play a true team member role with other key plant leadership members.
- Demonstrated ability to supervise, motivate, mentor and train associates on a regular basis.
- Possesses a high degree of current quality standards and checks.
- Upper level mathematical and mechanical skills required.
- Proficient in use of calipers and other measuring devices.
- Knowledge of work orders, schedules and priorities and ability to carry out tasks.
- Able to use logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions, or approaches to problems
- Excellent attendance record.
- Bilingual English/Spanish skills a plus
- Use forklift or other lifting devices
- Knowledge of the machinability of metals is a plus
- Good communication skills; ability to communicate with respect to job assignments, job procedures, and applicable safety standards
- Ability to work flexible hours as needed; willingness to work overtime as needed
- Problem-solving with basic troubleshooting skills is required
- Must be organized, detail oriented and adhere to a high quality standards
Physical Requirements and Environmental Conditions:
- Work in an enclosed, indoor manufacturing/machine shop environment; exposed to dust, heat, humidity, and cold weather conditions dependent on local weather conditions. Required to work in areas that are near moving mechanical parts.
- Physical stamina and dexterity including the ability to regularly stand and walk up to 8-10 hours a day, bend, stoop, kneel, or squat
- Ability to lift, push, and pull up to 50 lbs. frequently
- The noise level in the machine shop is considered moderate while operating machinery, equipment, and tools
- Frequently use of fingers and hands to handle or feel objects or controls; reach with hands and arms
- Have hand-eye coordination and are able to work in a physically demanding environment where standing is the norm
- Specific vision abilities include close-up and distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, and depth perception.
- Utilize Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) when accessing certain manufacturing areas.
- Weekly Pay (every Friday)
- Overtime available as needed
- Paid-Time Off (10-days), Floating PTO (2-days), and (8) paid Holidays
- Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance
- Company-Paid Life, AD&D, and Short-Term Disability Insurance
- 401K Retirement Saving Plan (up to 4% match)
Please note this job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of qualifications, skills, efforts, duties, responsibilities or working conditions associated with the position Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
ABOUT THE COMPANY
For over 30 years, RAM Windows & Doors has supported architects, builders and remodelers, commercial building contractors, developers and homeowners with the industry’s top windows and doors – and every custom package we deliver is equally designed and manufactured to create beautiful aesthetics, exceptional performance and long-lasting durability.
RAM is a Texas-based, leading manufacturer and distributor of high-quality windows and doors for both residential and light commercial construction. Our residential projects throughout Texas include custom, one-of-a-kind homes that typically range from $500,000 and up. Our light commercial projects can be found throughout the United States, and these types of buildings include hotels & hospitals, schools & dorms, government & civic projects, medical offices, worship centers, multi-family dwellings, restaurants, retail outlets and more.