SUMMARY OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Controller is a high visibility role, directly supporting the VP of Finance to achieve strategic, financial, and operational goals. The incumbent will collaborate with functional colleagues to ensure alignment within the business. This individual will be an energetic leader and active business partner to the leadership team. The controller will manage strategic projects, complete financial analyses, and report on the progress of the business. The position has internal and external responsibilities, including providing financial information to the board and financial management. In addition, the Controller will research, identify, develop, and implement opportunities and technologies that will help improve operational efficiencies.
This highly visible leader will demonstrate the ability to manage, direct, and influence employees in the organization. The controller will provide leadership by monitoring business processes, activities, organization goals, and strategic planning. Their business partnership with other executives will help drive overall business decision-making.
- Manage and monitor all accounts, ledgers, and reporting systems, ensuring compliance with appropriate GAAP standards and regulatory requirements
- Maintain internal control safeguards, costs, and both team and organizational budgets and actual expenditures
- Partner with FP&A function for review and analysis of monthly budget vs. actual variances before final close and revisions to the long-range financial plan
- Maintain effective working relationships with various department heads, ensuring the financial data/reporting needs of these “internal customers” are met
- Mentor staff within Accounting, SEC Reporting, Stock Plan Administration, and Accounts Payable groups
- In conjunction with the VP of Finance, establish financial and operating benchmarks, budgets, program monitoring, and reporting standards bi-weekly, monthly, and annually.
- Work with tax service providers for filing corporate tax returns and other tax projects.
- Implement consistent accounting policies, practices, and procedures across all programs, upholding federal, state, and local legal standards by remaining knowledgeable about existing, new, and future legislation
- Develop and enforce internal controls to maximize the protection of company assets, policies, procedures, and workflow
- Lead various ad-hoc projects.
- Oversee all general accounting functions, including the monthly financial close processes, technical accounting, internal controls, financial systems, stock administration, and taxation.
- Manage, prepare, and review month-end closing of company financial statements ensuring books are closed on time and in accordance with US GAAP.
- Develop and monitor annual budgets, monthly forecasts, month-end reporting of actual results, including variance analysis to forecast and budget, and cash forecasts
- Prepare regular financial analysis reports. Present findings to senior leadership and develop materials for Audit Committee and Board Meetings.
- Review executive compensation and other financial disclosures of the annual Management Information Circular
- Responsible for researching and implementing new developments in GAAP and statutory accounting pronouncements that impact the business
- Partner with third parties to manage annual and quarterly audits, filings, taxes, and corporate accounting activities.
- Manage the internal SOX process from design to execution phase and ensure key controls are in place and operating effectively.
- Oversee the company's equity programs, capitalization table, options ledger, and maintenance of stock/option-related matters. Review stock compensation calculations and related accounting.