pOpshelf’s mission is to make every day special by providing shoppers a stress-free shopping destination for those special things that make life better. pOpshelf offers an exciting, on-trend and rotating selection of seasonal, houseware, home décor, health and beauty products, home cleaning supplies and party goods in addition to candy & snacks, toys, games and electronics, among other items. There is fun in every find, surprise on every shelf, and joy in every visit. As part of our customer-centered team, you help us create an experience that enables our customers to easily find the items they need and enjoy finding the things they want. pOpshelf operates 70 stores currently with plans to open 1,000 by 2025. Learn more about pOpshelf at www.popshelf.com.
STORE TEAM LEADER GENERAL SUMMARY:
Responsible for the management of all employees in the effective planning and implementation of all store processes, including ordering, receiving, stocking, creative merchandising, presentation, selling, staffing and superior customer support. Responsible for creating a customer first store culture through exceptional store standards and team engagement.
DUTIES and ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Provides superior customer service leadership to exceed the customer’s expectations
- Models and coaches the team on how to balance tasks with customer service to create and support a customer-centric culture.
- Evaluates and incorporates customer feedback into employee training and coaching to ensure the store is meeting ongoing customer expectations.
- Model product knowledge and selling techniques to enhance the customer experience and provide employee development.
- Facilitate and maintain a safe, clean and well-organized store environment that delights our customers and employees.
- In partnership with HR, recruit, select and retain qualified employees according to federal and state labor laws and company policies; ensure store is properly staffed at all times.
- Responsible for proper training, development, and the performance management of store employees to include identifying gaps, succession planning, and/or counseling up to and including termination.
- Communicate store performance and safety expectations regularly; coordinate meetings and events to encourage safety, security and policies.
- Ensure that the store is appropriately staffed and effectively opened and closed each day. (Personally open the store a minimum of two times per week; personally close the store a minimum of two times per week.)
- Evaluate operating statements to identify financial trends (including sales, profitability, and inventory turn), expense control opportunities, potential shrink, and identify opportunities for improvement in store performance.
- Oversee the inventory ordering process to ensure the meeting or exceeding of in-stock targets; review ordering plan, seasonal direction and inventory management issues on a weekly basis; follow up on Basic Stock Replenishment (BSR)/cycle counts.
- Facilitates merchandising the store in a manner that is appealing to customers and retains customer excitement to shop at popshelf.
- With the assistance of Company merchandising guidelines, rotates product to create eye-catching displays to drive sales.
- Ensure that all merchandise is presented according to established practices; utilize merchandise fixtures properly including presentation, product pricing and signage.
- Maintain accurate inventory levels by controlling damages, markdowns, scanning, paperwork, and facility controls.
- Ensure the financial integrity of the store through strict cashier accountability, key control, and adherence to stated company security practices and cash control procedures.
- Responsible for facilitating store team’s understanding and knowledge of store products so they can engage customers and provide a differentiated, easy, and fun shopping experience.
- Follow company policies and procedures as outlined in the Standard Operating Procedures manual, Employee Handbook, and company communications; ensure employee compliance.
- Complete all paperwork and documentation according to guidelines and deadlines.
KNOWLEDGE and SKILLS:
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as diagrams, safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedures manuals.
- Ability to perform mathematical calculations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, and percentages.
- Knowledge of cash handling procedures including cashier accountability and deposit control.
- Knowledge of cash, facility and safety control policies and practices (deposits, store keys, etc.)
- Ability to perform cash register functions and operate other tools to generate reports. (e.g. HHT, self-checkout, store computer, etc.)
- Knowledge of recruiting, interviewing, hiring, counseling and termination practices in compliance with legal and company requirements.
- Ability to effectively communicate information and standards verbally and in writing to staff, suppliers and customers.
- Ability to develop and maintain organization and to attend to detail.
- Ability to solve problems and deal with a variety of situations.
- Ability to interface with staff, suppliers and customers in a respectful and effective manner.
- Strong knowledge of inventory management and merchandising practices.
- Ability to drive own vehicle to the bank to deposit money.
WORK EXPERIENCE and/or EDUCATION:
- High school diploma or equivalent. Post-secondary business school training preferred.
- At least two years of management experience in a retail environment preferred.
WORKING CONDITIONS and PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Frequent walking and standing.
- Frequent bending, stooping and kneeling to run check out station, stock merchandise and unload trucks.
- Frequent handling of merchandise and equipment such as hand-held scanner, pricing guns, box cutters, merchandise containers, two-wheel dollies, and U-boats (six-wheel carts).
- Frequent and proper lifting of up to 40 pounds; occasional lifting of up to 55 pounds.
- Occasional climbing (using ladder).
- Regularly driving/providing own transportation to make bank deposits and occasionally to attend management meetings and travel to other stores.
- Fast-paced environment; moderate noise level.
- Exposure to strong scents and fragrances
- Occasionally exposed to outside weather conditions.
- Occasionally exposed to wet floor surfaces.
- Occasionally exposed to household and industrial cleaning solutions.
- Required to obtain and maintain relevant liquor license in order to sell and occasionally serve alcoholic drinks to customers.
pOpshelf is an equal opportunity employer