Applications received by 9/19/22 will received first consideration. This position is in office and not remote.Why It's a Great Opportunity:
This is a great career opportunity as a Legal Assistant 1 within the Pierce County Superior Court. Your primary focus will be to provide legal assistant support to members of the public called for jury duty, to the staff in the jury administration office, and to assist judicial assistants with jurors who have been selected to serve on a jury trial.
In the Jury Administration office, you will create a warm and welcoming environment for citizens coming in for jury duty. You will help citizens check in for jury duty, understand their role in the court system, group jurors into panels, and field various questions about jury duty. You will also assist jury administration and judicial assistants with conducting jurors around the courthouse.
As a Pierce County Superior Court employee, you make a difference in people's lives and a positive contribution to Pierce County. Why It's a Great Department:
Pierce County Superior Court consists of 23 elected Judges, 10 appointed Commissioners, 46 Judicial Department Staff Members and a Court Administrator, Deputy Court Administrator and 33 administrative staff members.
Pierce County Superior Court efficiently handles a very high volume of cases. We have built a family atmosphere which allows staff to become subject matter experts and share their experiences and challenges to make constant improvements for staff and the public. We are a forward thinking, inclusive Department that is open to fresh perspectives.
Learn more here
. How to be Successful in the Role:
We are looking for someone with exceptional attention to detail. Someone with a high level of organizational skills, a strong work ethic, and someone who is adaptable, and works well as part of a team. Having the ability to interact and communicate in a positive, engaging manner with internal and external customers, treating every contact as a valued individual is of high importance as well as the ability to work independently. Your Future in this Role:
Superior Court is committed to ensure you are supported and mentored by your more experienced teammates. Opportunities to become the Subject Matter Expert and gain knowledge through training and development will be available to you as your skills advance. Your work will directly impact the residents of the County and will provide a great foundation for future positions within Pierce County. Core Daily Responsibilities:
- Performs counter, phone, and email work providing information to the public; fielding questions and advising jurors while maintaining security and confidentiality. May deal with sensitive and/or potentially volatile situations.
A classification description with a more detailed list of essential function can be found here.
- A minimum of six months experience as a legal assistant, legal secretary or related legal staff support function.
- Must be able to utilize computers at an acceptable level of proficiency as required for positions requiring those skills.
- Training by an accredited vocational school, college or university in the field of legal support work or related area is preferred.
- Other education or experience which clearly indicates the ability to perform the essential functions of the position may substitute for the recruiting requirements.
- Special Note: Upon satisfactory completion of one year of service, a Legal Assistant 1 may be eligible for promotion to the Legal Assistant 2 classification
- As a condition of employment, the applicant will need to authorize and complete a background check. Information received from the background check is reviewed case-by-case and will not necessarily remove an applicant from consideration.
APPLICATION AND SELECTION PROCESS
To be considered for this opportunity please:
- Complete and submit an online Pierce County Employment Application by selecting "APPLY" above or go to: www.piercecountywa.org/jobs.
- **Attach a cover letter explaining your interest in working for Superior Court as well upload a current resume outlining your skills and experience.
- If you do not have internet access, you may visit your local public library or any WorkSource location and use their computers.
- Individuals needing accommodation in the application, testing process or need this job announcement in an alternative format may call Human Resources at (253) 798-7480, at least two days prior to the need.
At Pierce County, diversity, equity, and inclusion means commitment, not a single step. We strive to foster an inclusive environment that supports equitable access to opportunities throughout your career. We want to recruit, develop, and maintain a talented workforce from various backgrounds, cultures, lifestyles, and perspectives, committed to our vision. Employees of the County have local, direct, and visible impact in our diverse community. Will you join us in keeping Pierce County a great place to live, work, and raise a family?