Job Description: Controller
Location: Arlington, VA (hybrid role 2-3 days in office)
PGLS is currently seeking a highly skilled and experienced Controller to join our Accounting team working out of our Arlington, VA office. As the Controller reporting to the VP of Finance, you will play a critical role in overseeing the accounting operations and ensuring compliance with commercial and government contracts. Your primary responsibilities will include planning and directing all accounting operational functions, managing the accumulation and consolidation of financial information for internal and external financial statements, assessing accounting and internal control systems, and guiding accounting department staff.
We are looking for individuals who possess exceptional leadership qualities, demonstrate a meticulous attention to detail, and inspire others through their positive and motivational demeanor. Honesty, reliability, and the ability to provide outstanding client services by managing oneself and others with urgency, practicality, and accountability are essential. Additionally, you will be responsible for handling key decisions, as well as challenging, negotiating, and influencing the team.
A comprehensive understanding of US generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP) is vital for this role. Demonstrating expertise in these accounting frameworks will contribute to the smooth execution of responsibilities and the establishment of best practices within the organization.
Government Clearance eligibility is required for this position.
Financial Accounting and Tax Management:
- Oversee and manage all aspects of the company's accounting operations including Accounts Receivable, Accounts Payable, and all General Level activities, specialized accounting for acquisitions, and consolidations of multiple entities.
- Develop and implement financial policies, procedures, and internal controls to safeguard company assets and ensure compliance with government regulations.
- Report on weekly and monthly cash flow.
- Establish and adhere to a regular close schedule including performing or reviewing reconciliations in conjunction with the team.
- Report in a multi-company environment for consolidations, intercompany transactions, and intercompany reconciliations.
- Develop international payment transactions processes.
- Assist with maintaining compliance with Federal, State and Local tax filings for property taxes, payroll taxes, corporate registrations and similar tax filings as needed.
Government Contract Compliance:
- Ensure compliance with government contract requirements, including the Federal Acquisition Regulation (FAR) and Defense Federal Acquisition Regulation Supplement (DFARS).
- Review and analyze contract terms and conditions to ensure accurate financial reporting and billing by project.
- Prepare monthly financial reports for government contracts, ensuring accuracy and adherence to contract requirements.
- Collaborate with internal stakeholders and project teams to provide financial guidance and support when necessary, throughout the contract lifecycle.
Financial Reporting and Analysis:
- Prepare monthly, quarterly, and annual financial statements and reports in accordance with GAAP under a regular reporting schedule.
- Conduct variance analysis to determine consistency of activity compared to prior months and provide insightful financial analysis to support decision-making and drive business performance.
- Assist the Finance team in the preparation of budgets, forecasts, and financial projections.
- Collaborate with external auditors during the annual audit process.
- Other duties as assigned.
Team Leadership and Development:
- Manage and lead the accounting team, providing guidance, support, and mentorship to all levels of the department.
- Foster a collaborative and high-performing work environment, encouraging professional growth and development.
- Conduct performance evaluations, set goals, and provide ongoing feedback to team members.
- Government Clearance eligibility is required for this position.
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting strongly preferred from an accredited program or related field. Master's degree in accounting (MAcc) is preferred. Certified Public Accountant (CPA) certification is strongly preferred.
- Minimum of 10-15 years of relevant accounting experience in a senior accounting or finance role such as a Controller in a medium sized company, preferably in a government contracts environment.
- Strong knowledge of government contract cost accounting regulations, including DCAA Incurred Cost Submissions, FAR and DFARS. T&M, CPFF and FFP.
- Experience with system migrations strongly preferred.
- Proficiency in QuickBooks Online, Microsoft Dynamics Business Central, Power BI and advanced Microsoft Excel skills.
- Thorough understanding of GAAP-based accrual accounting, account reconciliations, technical accounting for relevant areas and financial reporting requirements.
- Excellent analytical, problem-solving, and decision-making abilities.
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work independently and collaborate effectively with cross-functional teams.
- Other: Prior experience in a leadership or managerial role is preferred.
- Competitive salary and benefits package.
- Opportunity to work in a fast-paced, growing environment.
- Chance to make a significant impact on the company's financial performance.
- Collaborative and supportive work environment.
PGLS is a leading provider of Translation, Interpretation, and Language Training solutions in over 200 languages and regional varieties. Headquartered in the Washington D.C. area with team members spanning eight time zones and five continents, PGLS embodies a passion for language and a commitment to excellence. PGLS is dedicated to delivering comprehensive multilingual solutions to promote equity, commerce, and security.
If you are a highly motivated and detail-oriented professional with a strong background in government contracts and financial management, we invite you to join our dynamic team at PGLS. Apply now to contribute to our continued success and help drive our financial operations forward.