Come work at a place where innovation and teamwork come together to support the most exciting missions in the world!
The General Manager is responsible for leading through Petco’s vision of “Healthier Pets. Happier People. Better World.” in order to develop a high-performing team that consistently delivers top-line sales growth while maintaining a focus on the welfare, health, and proper care of all animals. The GM leads a team Pet Care Center managers, leaders and partners and is accountable for all aspects of managing a single Pet Care Center. The General Manager drives their business through a focus on people (talent acquisition, training, and development), performance (guest service, sales, and expense control), and process (standard operating procedures and policies), which will result in overall profitability. This position requires a passion for pets, ability to inspire and lead a team, focus on process excellence, a drive for results.
The GM regularly exercises discretion and independent judgment as they execute all Pet Care Center activity to create the best possible partner, guest, and pet experience. As a leader of people & pet care, the GM should execute all tasks skillfully and consistently. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential job duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform essential job functions.
- Build a team that embodies the Petco brand by delivering exceptional service and driving guest loyalty.
- Attract, hire, and retain a diverse team of top talent.
- Train, coach, and develop leaders and hourly Pet Care Center partners in all areas and functions required to run the store efficiently and to Petco standards, including the effective rollout selling models.
- Create a professional environment that inspires and encourages the growth and engagement of partners.
- Lead and implement a positive culture of teamwork, inclusion and collaborate by working alongside the team, establishing priorities, and provide clear direction.
- Ensure quick and courteous service to all Petco guests by helping partners determine the guest’s needs and by sharing product knowledge with partners to enable them to suggest the appropriate solutions to meet the customer’s needs.
- Responsible for all partner performance management in the Pet Care Center.
- Demonstrate and support a continuous improvement and growth mindset.
- Meet or exceed goals related to totals Pet Care Center sales, profitability, and operational excellence.
- Schedule and adjust labor hours & payroll to maximize productivity, achieve sales & payroll goals, and complete workload.
- Review and interpret financial and operational reporting regularly, including Pet Care Center visits and audit results.
- Identify underperforming metrics and develop strategies that leverage Petco programs, tools, and resources to improve and grow the business.
- Market the Pet Care Center and its products, oversee planning of on site and community events, such as adoptions, school visits and other local promotions and animal-welfare events.
- Ensures the proper health, appearance, welfare, and proper handling of all animals.
- Ensures merchandise is properly priced, displayed and stocked according to inventory levels appropriate for the store; make merchandising decisions with consideration of visual standards, special ad set-up and monthly ad planner guidelines, adjusting these as necessary to best implement in each individual store.
- Completes and submits accounting, inventory management and payroll paperwork in a timely manner; ensures all expenses are maintained within budgeted levels.
- Maintains the Pet Care Center's appearance adheres to Petco operational standards and safety procedures.
- Protect Petco pets & merchandise and minimize loss by ensuring all Pet Care Center standards and operating procedures are met, including workplace safety, inventory control, and loss prevention.
- Ensures Pet Care Center is opened/closed in accordance with policies and procedures, especially those relating to safety and security.
- Responsible to maintain the Pet Care Center’s professional image, appearance, and cleanliness.
Other Essential Duties
- MODEL INSPIRING LEADERSHIP. Model leadership and selling behaviors to Pet Care Center partners and associates. Provide proactive leadership to maintain a positive business climate that motivates Pet Care Center teams in alignment with our company goals. Serve as an effective advocate for change and growth.
- PROMOTE SAFETY. Ensure Petco policies, procedures and safety standards are closely observed and executed, and all new policies and procedures are properly implemented in the Pet Care Center. Bottom line, the safety of partners, guests and pets is our #1 priority.
- FOSTER A COLLABORATIVE CULTURE. Establish and promote a culture that encourages partners to seek and formulate ideas and opportunities that increase efficiency and that improve guest engagement, guest satisfaction and company image. Ensure a culture that values and promotes teamwork.
- PRIORITIZE TALENT DEVELOPMENT. Ensure a strong talent bench with partners who can successfully execute the company’s plans, meet objectives, and manage an engaged workforce. Ensure continuation of excellence in Petco’s partners through developmental programs and leadership opportunities. Actively pursue the development of bench strength through internal training and external recruitment.
- ENGAGE AND BE PRESENT. Represent Petco’s brand and image at a high level through strong culture and positive leadership. Lead our team in a way that is committed to high standards within a fun working environment.
Education and Experience
- In addition to a high school diploma or its equivalent (GED), an applicant must be able to demonstrate proficiency in the areas of basic business & finance acumen, analysis and problem-solving skills, and high focus on people development & guest service.
- Excellence in communication and computer skills are also required.
- Three or more years of management experience or the equivalent is required, while previous retail management experience is preferred.
- A working knowledge of general business practices is highly desirable, as are strong organizational skills.
- A qualified applicant will possess an aptitude for demonstrating strong customer service and the ability to instruct others. In addition to having a professional appearance and demeanor, the applicant must also demonstrate a keen and genuine interest in all kinds of animals.
- Must be licensed to operate a motor vehicle. Completion of specific PETCO Management Achievement Program Modules as well as internal management roles may be required for internal candidates.
The General Manager directly supervises a team of leaders and is responsible for all Pet Care Center partners including services.
The majority of job duties are conducted indoors, although occasional merchandise stocking, customer carry-outs, and bank deposits will require that an employee leave the Pet Care Center briefly. Because this position requires bending, kneeling, moving merchandise (up to 50 pounds, as necessary) and standing for long periods of time, there may be risk of injury resulting from failure to follow safety precautions and procedures. A limited amount of travel will be required.
This position has continuous contact with the general public at the Pet Care Center and at Pet Care Center -related events, and regular contact and exchange of information with other departments in the field, Distribution Centers, and at the Support Centers. Contact outside of PETCO may be required in order to coordinate merchandise returns, ordering parts, Pet Care Center repairs, coordination of vaccination clinics, Pet Care Center events, vendor meetings, etc.
Petco Animal Supplies, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, or any other protected classification.