Job Description: Operations Manager
Outerspace is a new type of Ops Center. We come from the brand side and have built and led operations for companies like Steve Madden, Prada and Nice Laundry. We leverage the latest technology to support our high growth brands and their daily operations. Outerspace provides a number of services including, but not limited to, warehousing and fulfillment, customization and light manufacturing, and product photography.
We are seeking a highly motivated and dedicated fulfillment center Operations Manager to join our growing team. The Operations Manager will facilitate smooth and seamless operations, and oversee warehouse performance, efficiencies, safety, strategic planning, and projects. They will be responsible for developing a strong team to ensure optimization of people and technology to deliver quality services to our clients and customers.
A successful candidate has the ability to inspire a shared vision and motivate a team. They will have the demonstrated ability to build professional rapport, effectively lead a team and positively influence diverse groups of people. The candidate must have the proven ability to apply sound business judgment to establish and accomplish goals, and navigate ambiguity, working in an entrepreneurial environment.
- Prepares and presents an annual plan to operate the warehouse operations in support of the overall manufacturing and marketing goals established by the company
- Establishes and maintains adequate records to track inventory coming into and leaving the warehouse on a perpetual basis.
- Analyzes and controls shipments to ensure the most cost effective method of moving products to customers or other destinations.
- Run necessary reports on an established schedule.
- Performs regular KPI reviews.
- Assess and train facility associates in receiving, put away, picking, packing, and other fulfillment center operations.
- Facilitate and determine selection, hiring, employee trainings and development including monitoring ongoing performance progress to promote, engage, and retain employees by optimizing job performance through evaluations, individual development plans, and employee recognition programs
- Conduct dock and pack/hold inspections to ensure shipment accuracy and alignment.
- Remains current on new equipment and techniques to enhance the warehouse's ability to store, retrieve and ship products in a timely and cost effective manner.
- Maintains contact with freight systems and delivery providers to negotiate the best rates for each type of delivery required.
- Establish and maintain relationships with customers and support client success.
- Accepts and examines incoming vendor deliveries for accuracy and ensures product conditions meet company standards, as well as secures legible notations from transportation companies regarding damages or discrepancies as needed.
- Maintains entire warehouse facility in a clean, organized and safe manner by sweeping, disposing of all refuse and unnecessary debris as well as handles all required product recycling.
- Supervise maintenance of building grounds to include daily cleaning.
- Applies knowledge of all company products and services to best meet the company's and customers' needs.
- Handles all repair/preventive maintenance/upkeep of warehouse equipment by keeping lift equipment charged at all times, continually inspecting equipment and notifying management immediately of needed repair/service.
- Develops and maintains a staff through the selection, training, compensation, motivation, termination and review of employees.
- Directs and supervises all direct staff to ensure goals are established for the warehouse area.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Education Requirements:
- High school diploma or GED required.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Supply Chain, Business Operations or related field strongly preferred.
- 5 years of management and warehousing experience including, but not limited to, retail distribution, logistics, warehouse operations and transportation management.
- Superb people skills in mentoring, coaching/counseling, motivation, performance management, and employee relations.
- Proven track record to plan and manage operational process for maximum efficiency and productivity.
- Ability to drive continuous improvement, provide accurate reporting, and utilize data.
- Must have impeccable communication skills – both verbal and written.
- Proactive organizing, planning, and multi-tasking skills required.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Demonstrated understanding of warehouse management systems.
- Proficient in all Microsoft Office products.
- Bilingual Spanish a plus, but not required