BROOKSIDE MULTICARE NURSING CENTER
DEPARTMENT: SOCIAL WORK
JOB TITLE: SOCIAL WORKER
REPORTS TO: DIRECTOR OF SOCIAL WORK
SUPERVISES: STAFF AND STUDENTS AS ASSIGNED
COORDINATES WITH: ALL DEPARTMENTS & OUTSIDE AGENCIES
Individual must hold a Masters or Bachelors degree in Social Work or related field. One year in a health care setting is preferred. The individual must possess knowledge of Medicare, Medicaid, Social Security benefits and department of Social Services rules and regulations as related to nursing homes. The individual must possess excellent written and interpersonal skills. The individual must be able to work as a member of an interdisciplinary team. The individual participates in continuing professional development.
The individual must be able to move through out the facility and grounds, conduct home visits when necessary. Individual must be able to handle emotional and mental stress and possess excellent coping mechanisms. Individual must be able to handle difficult, stressful and even aggressive situations with tact and professionalism. Position includes heavy phone work, paperwork and possibly sitting for long periods of time.
Delivers social work services to residents and supervises staff and students as assigned. Identifies the medically related psychosocial needs of residents in order to facilitate adjustment to the nursing home environment and promote the enhancement of each resident’s quality of life.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Interviews residents and/or designated representative for the purpose of completing a psychosocial history and assessment of the resident, identifying problem areas and developing care plans, goals and discharge plans. Assesses residents on an on-going basis and reviews residents no less than every three months as appropriate. Revises the resident’s care plan as necessary.
2. Informs residents of their rights and responsibilities including information regarding DNR orders, Health Care Proxy and Advance Directives. Completes admission packet. Completes assigned sections in MDS 2.0 in a timely fashion and updates comprehensive care plans no less than quarterly. Participates in Comprehensive Care Planning as a member of the interdisciplinary team.
3. Provides crisis intervention, counseling as indicated and responds to social work referrals.
4. Facilitates needed communication with other disciplines on behalf of the residents, including medical, nursing, food services, rehabilitation services, building services, and psychiatric/psychological services.
5. Coordinates and monitors needed available services for individual residents to assure the optimum level of emotional, physical and psychosocial well being and independence is attained.
6. Communicates with and involves the resident, other disciplines and Administration regarding matters such as bed retention, room changes, transfers or discharges.
7. Assists the Fiscal Department in obtaining information for completion of the Medicaid applications.
8. Interprets residents needs and behaviors
The job skills required for Social Worker include Social Work, Planning, Health care, Psychiatric, Medicaid,and Independence etc. Having related job skills and expertise will give you an advantage when applying to be a Social Worker. That makes you unique and can impact how much salary you can get paid. Below are job openings related to skills required by Social Worker. Select any job title you are interested in and start to search job requirements.
If you are interested in becoming a Social Worker, you need to understand the job requirements and the detailed related responsibilities. Of course, a good educational background and an applicable major will also help in job hunting. Below are some tips on how to become a Social Worker for your reference.