Full Time - $20-$25/hr
To ensure an organized and smooth-running prepared food department and provide a wide variety of natural foods that appeal to an ever-expanding customer base. Meet department objectives for sales, margin, labor, and customer service satisfaction. Hire, train and motivate employees: provide coaching and performance management when necessary. Support the General Manager’s goals for the overall store through participation in management team meetings and by performing other tasks as assigned. All OCC staff are responsible to provide welcoming, friendly, helpful, and non-judgmental customer service to all shoppers and co-workers in accordance with our organizational goals and programs
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Maintains familiarity with all areas of the store to best assist customers and staff.
- Upholds the Code of Conduct, using T.H.I.N.K. (True, Helpful, Inspiring, Necessary, and Kind).
- Always use S.E.T. (Smile, Engage and Thank You) in all customer interactions.
- Ensure customer experience, and selections are the sane in the evening as they are in the morning.
- Oversee an ongoing sampling program to highlight specials, drive the business and maintain excitement within the deli department.
- Become familiar with the Co-op mission, Ends, and policies to answer customer questions. Refer unresolved questions or problems to appropriate staff.
- Models supportive and participative leadership; promotes empowerment.
- Hire, develop and train talented employees.
- Conducts performance evaluations as required.
- Adheres to the Code of Conduct.
- Assists with the growth of the Co-op by improving processes, creating, and maintaining SOP’s, and always learning.
- Organize and conduct regular department huddles, utilizing input for best practice standards.
- Recognizes co-workers when they are awesome by documenting in Impressions in Paylocity.
- Attend meetings and participate in discussion, research, and decision-making on behalf of the overall store.
- Assist in the training of department staff on, regular duties, safety, customer service, store polies and procedures, and Owner relations.
ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES AND FUNCTIONS:
- Participates in targeting sales, labor, and margin goals for the prepared foods department in conjunction with the General Manager.
- Develops and implements strategies to control labor and direct costs; maintaining a level of shrink at or below the department goal.
- Cost recipes and set pricing on all products.
- Meet/exceed goals for sales, margin, labor, inventory, and capital expenditure.
- Review departmental financial reports (sales, labor, margin and turns) and implement corrective action as needed.
- Conduct regular price comparisons of local competition.
- Research, develop and cost new recipes.
- Create seasonal menus (summer, fall, winter, spring). Plan menu for excitement and variety. Combine taste, nutrition, and eye appeal.
- Ensure POS system and scales are accurate, and information is up to date with current prices.
- Provide an accurate prepared foods department inventory monthly or quarterly per directive of the General Manager.
- Ensure department equipment is maintained in safe, working order.
- Address safety concerns immediately.
- Successfully complete and maintain food safety certification.
- Perform other tasks assigned by General Manager.
- Manage food quality by ensuring processes are in place, to include forecasted food ordering, safe receiving, recipe adherence, recording and analyzing production, proper food handling, time and temperature control, and sanitation processes.
- Ensure food production and display areas are maintained in sanitary, orderly condition meeting health department standards.
- Ensure staff follows proper product rotation procedures.
- Ensure deli staff is tracking all loss on a waste log daily.
- Ensure cleanliness and freshness standards are being responded to in an efficient manner.
- Assist with food preparation as needed
- Plan attractive displays with uniform signage; ensure displays are fully stocked and rotated to ensure freshness.
- Provide plan-o-grams for the grab & go and service case set.
- Develop strategies to drive sales and improve profitability.
- Plan promotions, cross-merchandise within department and work with marketing on advertising.
- Plan and implement weekly and monthly specials.
- Monitor industry trends.
- Order product and supplies on time to ensure inventories are maintained at optimum level.
- Negotiate with suppliers for favorable prices, terms, quality, and delivery. Investigate new venders.
- Receive orders or ensure proper receiving by deli staff. Log invoices.
- Process invoices and credits in a timely fashion.
- Coordinate returns and credit from suppliers where applicable.
- Participate in NCG prepared food programs and conferences when applicable.
- Conduct meetings to plan departmental menus, events, and promotions.
- Review product information to be shared with customers and staff.
- Successfully complete and maintain food safety certification.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including verbal and written instructions.
- Ability to maintain the vision of the “big picture” for the organization while simultaneously attending to details.
- Must be able to work with minimal supervision but possess excellent team skills.
- Demonstrated ability to carry out projects involving multiple priorities and tasks.
- Willingness and ability to grow to meet the changing requirements of the job.
- Stay current on global trends and changes that affect the natural foods industry.
- Understand the cooperative principles and business model.
- Respond to challenging situations in a positive and professional manner
- Demonstrate regular, predictable work attendance and communicate to the GM any work schedule changes
- Demonstrate a willingness and ability to cooperate and communicate with co-workers and/or outside contacts in a timely and appropriate manner
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily, with or without reasonable accommodation. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required.
- High School Diploma required; plus at least 2 years of culinary education preferred
- Prior management/supervisory experience in deli/restaurant.
- Experience cooking for restaurant, food service caterer or deli.
- Experience serving the public.
- Ability to meet deadlines and work under time pressures.
- Willingness and ability to learn to meet the changing requirements of the job.
- Basic computer skills
- Competent math and reasoning skills.
- Experience working with diverse groups.
Physical Skills Required
The physical requirements described here are those that an employee must meet, with or without reasonable accommodation, to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Ability to use computer keyboard, monitor, mouse, telephone, and various office equipment continuously.
- Ability to lift and carry up to 30 pounds frequently.
- Ability to lift and carry up to 50 pounds occasionally.
- Ability to be present and working in assigned area for up to 3 hours without rest.
- Ability to bend, stoop, squat, kneel, climb stairs or ladder.
- Ability to reach above shoulder height occasionally.
- Ability to talk and hear to communicate with customers.
- Finger and hand dexterity with ability to grasp and hold items of different sizes.
- Vision ability – close, distance, peripheral vision, and depth perception.
- Ability to read register screen and product and shelf labels.
- Ability to work nights, weekend and non-business hour shifts as required.
General Employee Expectations
- Remain highly productive to meet priorities and goals
- Maintain a safe work environment (e.g., Enforce safety protocols, address hazards, reduce clutter, take preventative measures, and provide training).
- Attend mandatory trainings and meetings, including out of town conferences, as appropriate.
- Follow OCC policies and procedures and Customer Service standards.
- Follow teamwork guidelines including: Communicating changes with department staff using the systems provided; proactively engage in dialogs to improve department and store performance, as well as the daily experience of customers and staff.
- Maintain professional standards, i.e., punctuality, neatness, pleasant helpful manner.
- In addition to the general attendance standards, must work as needed to fulfill needs of department (e.g., days, evenings, and weekends), as needed.
- Perform other tasks and duties as assigned by General Manager.
The work environment described here is representative of the conditions an employee may encounter while performing the essential functions of this job.
- Frequently performs work in a retail grocery store environment.
- Works in temperature extremes (walk-in freezer, frozen or hot parking lot, hot kitchen, etc.)
- Utilizes carts, box cutters, knives, dish washer, pallet jacks.
- Utilizes multiple systems of communication.
- May sit or stand depending on the work.
- May encounter hazardous materials within the scope of store.
- Moderate to loud noise level.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
(The job description does not constitute a written or implied contract of employment. Oneota Community Food Co-op reserves the right to revise or change job duties and responsibilities as the need arises. Requirements are representative of minimum levels of knowledge, skills, and experience required.)