Drives diesel powered truck and trailer combination to pick-up, transport, and deliver scrap metal in a safe and timely manner focusing on safety and customer service.
- Hook and unhook trailers from tractor cranking lever to raise and lower landing gear on semi-trailers.
- Inspect trailers/truck for defects and make sure they are in safe operating condition before, during, and after trips. The driver must submit in writing, a report of the condition of the truck/trailer at the end of each day or upon switching equipment if repairs are required.
- Check shipping paperwork to determine the nature of the load
- Drive the truck to and from its destination in accordance with Federal and State regulations along with complying with company policies.
- Apply knowledge of commercial driving skills maneuvering vehicle at varying speeds in difficult situations i.e.: heavy traffic, inclement weather, and/or tight loading and unloading areas.
- Ensure that all shipping documentation required to move the product is available for inspection and that the appropriate paperwork accompanies the shipment when delivered.
- Maintain records required for compliance with the State and Federal regulations including driver’s logs, fuel purchases, mileage, and all other records required by the company.
- Maintain on a daily basis the proper handling and accurate completion of all necessary paperwork related to truck operation and scrap movement.
- Perform all duties in accordance with the company policies and procedures and comply with the State and Federal regulations for the safe operation of a commercial motor vehicle.
- Report all accidents involving driver or company equipment.
- Report highway safety hazards noted in route.
- Promptly report delays due to breakdowns, weather or traffic conditions, or other emergencies relating to pick up or delivery of product.
- Professional representation of the Company and the trucking industry through responsible driving and customer service is a must.
- 2 years of verifiable tractor/trailer experience; or 1 year of tractor/trailer experience with a graduation certificate from an accredited tractor/trailer driving school.
- Ability to read, write, and interpret the English language sufficient to communicate with law enforcement, and company personnel. You must be able to interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. You must have working knowledge of vehicle safety control systems.
- Ability to perform simple math calculations with mental ability to handle receipts, maintain logs, read road maps and instructions.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding standards set forth by the US Department of Transportation. You must have knowledge of DOT regulations governing safe driving, hours of service, and inspection maintenance. You must meet the requirements set forth regarding reference checks, driving records and company policy procedures.
- Must possess a valid Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) Class A.
- Must be able to pass a Federal DOT Drug Screen.
Steel Dynamics Inc. is an equal opportunity employer.
2 Days Ago
3 Days Ago
1 Week Ago