We are looking for a Kitchen Manager to join our team in the Artesian Restaurant at Ojo Caliente Mineral Springs.
Reporting directly to the F&B Manager, the Kitchen Manager is responsible for all kitchen functions, including but not limited to training of kitchen employees, food purchasing, receiving, product management, preparation and maintenance of quality standards, safety, and maintaining cleanliness and sanitation standards.
The incumbent is responsible for modeling and acting in accordance with Ojo Caliente Holdings, Inc. (OCHI) Core Values: Accountability, Authenticity, Diversity, Excellence, Gratitude, Happiness, Integrity, Mindfulness, Respect and Teamwork.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS / RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Ensures that all food and products are consistently prepared and served according to the restaurant’s recipes, portioning, cooking, and serving standards.
- Responsible for ordering food products according to predetermined product specifications and received in correct unit count and condition and deliveries are received in accordance with the restaurant’s receiving policies and procedures.
- Controls food cost and usage by following proper requisition of products from storage areas, product storage procedures, standard recipes and waste control procedures including checking and maintaining proper food holding and refrigeration temperature control points.
- Work with F&B managers to plan and price menu items. Establish portion sizes and prepare standard recipe cards for all new menu items.
- Ensures that all equipment is kept clean and kept in excellent working condition through personal inspection and by following the restaurant’s preventative maintenance programs.
- Provide orientation of department rules, policies and procedures and oversee training of new kitchen employees.
- Prepares all required paperwork, including forms, reports, and schedules in an organized and timely manner.
- Oversee the training of kitchen personnel in safe operation of all kitchen equipment and utensils.
- Responsible for training kitchen personnel in cleanliness and sanitation practices.
- Responsible for maintaining appropriate cleaning schedules for kitchen floors, mats, walls, hoods, other equipment, and food storage areas.
- Provide safety training in carrying objects and handling hazardous materials.
- Attends all scheduled employee meetings and brings suggestions for improvement.
Staff Supervision and Scheduling
- Assist the F&B Manager, to supervise the back of the house in a high-volume kitchen, including ongoing training, development, and follow-up. Ensures that clear feedback is provided to the kitchen team in a timely manner.
- Assists the F&B Manager to manage performance discipline BOH staff. BOH staff report to the F&B Manager and matrix to the Kitchen Manager.
- Communicate the work schedule to staff at least two weeks in advance. Act as the primary gatekeeper of schedule information and the manager to whom staff request schedule changes.
- Assists the F&B Manager to coordinate efforts between front and back of the house.
- Models and creates a team spirit within the entire restaurant.
Purchasing and Inventory Management
- Order food products according to predetermined product specifications and ensure that they are received in correct unit count and condition and in accordance with all receiving policies and procedures.
- Control food cost and usage by following proper product requisition, storage, organization, and rotation procedures. Review product costs to existing inventory costs.
- Work with F&B management to establish portion sizes and prepare standard recipe cards for all new menu items.
- Maintain food quality and consistency standards. Ensure adherence to procedures and coordinate production.
Sanitation and Cleanliness
- Ensure that a safe, clean, and sanitary kitchen is maintained, always. Performs twice a day review of the kitchen and associated facilities. Ensures adequate opening and closing procedures are maintained.
- Ensure compliance with all Federal (OSHA) and New Mexico Environment Department standards.
- Oversee safety and waste control procedures including checking and maintaining proper food holding and refrigeration temperature control points.
- Ensure that all equipment is kept clean and kept in proper working condition through personal inspection and by establishing and following preventative maintenance programs.
- Oversee the training of kitchen personnel in the safe operation of all kitchen equipment and utensils.
- Train kitchen staff in cleanliness and sanitation practices.
- Maintain appropriate cleaning schedules for kitchen floors, mats, walls, hoods, other equipment, and food storage areas.
- Ensure proper labeling and dating of all products.
- Prepare and monitor the day-to-day prep list.
- Expedite food preparation as necessary.
- Taste and visually inspect prepared food; takes corrective action to correct irregularities.
- Ensures that food, garnishes, and plate presentations are adhered to standards.
- Performs the duties of other kitchen positions as volume and staffing dictate.
- Maintain solid knowledge of all food products.
- Skillfully apply culinary techniques. Demonstrate a variety of cooking techniques and knife skills.
Records Management and Collaboration with the Accounting Department
- Prepare all required paperwork, including forms, invoices, and reports in an organized and timely manner.
- Minimum of three years of demonstrated experience as a Kitchen Manager, preferably in a hotel or resort.
- Proven supervisory and team-building skills, including strong conflict resolution skills.
- Strong knowledge and attention to detail on back of the house operations including staff supervision, inventory controls, food/labor costs, and product quality.
- Valid New Mexico Food Handler Manager certification and Alcohol Server Permit required before hire.
- Ability to work respectfully and productively with all staff, maintaining a high degree of professionalism and camaraderie, at all times.
- Energetic and passionate about the resort and restaurant industries, and the providing of outstanding guest experiences. Seeks to reach or surpass high standards.
- Punctuality, dependability, and flexibility are critical.
- Ability to work evenings, weekends, weekdays, and holidays required.
- Ability to work in an environment where the employee is frequently exposed to heat, steam, and noise.
- Ability to stand for eight or more hours per day, sit, reach, lift, bend, kneel, stoop, climb, push, and pull items weighing up to 50 pounds.
- The position requires manual dexterity; auditory and visual skills; and the ability to create and follow written and oral instructions and procedures.
- Stable and progressive work history
- Functional Spanish speaking ability a plus.
- Strong work ethic.