The Lead Cook will prepare, serve, and handle food in accordance with federal and state regulations and the dietary program implemented by Oaks Senior Living policies and procedures. The Lead Cook will maintain clean and sanitized dining service areas and assist in the receiving, rotation, and storage of products.
- Experience in cooking for large groups.
- Certificate in food preparations training preferred.
- Desire to work with older adults.
- Ability to read, write, and speak English.
- Desire to work with older adults. Friendly, caring disposition.
- Must be 18 years of age. Must have a satisfactory criminal history check.
- Must have physical exam by a licensed physician. Must have a negative drug screen.
- Must be able to react in an emergency situation.
Food and Inventory
- Identify and report food and supplies needed for the next week's menus.
- Assist in the receiving, rotation, and storage of products.
Food Preparation and Dining Service
- Prepare menus and cook food in accordance with nutritional guidelines, local health department regulations, and resident's individual prescribed diet and food preferences.
- The cook will deliver quality meals, snacks, special diets as directed by the facility.
- Present food in an appetizing and attractive manner.
- Assist in fostering residents' independence with eating by providing adaptive equipment when needed.
- Ensure that food is delivered on time and in a pleasant manner.
- Visit with residents at each meal when available and ensure quality service.
- Prepare food and coordinate food service for special events as requested.
- Encourage residents to participate in the monthly resident Food Service Committee meeting.
- Notify Food Service Director of any malfunctioning kitchen equipment or appliances.
- Dishwashing is required.
Regulatory Compliance and Sanitation
- Ensure compliance with local health department regulations and the Oaks Senior Living policies and procedures.
- Maintain a clean, organized, and safe kitchen environment.
- Ensure proper storage and handling of food in accordance with infection control standards.
- Maintain CPR & First Aid certification.
- State food handling and kitchen regulations
- OSHA Standards
- Fire and Safety Procedures
- Operation of Kitchen Appliances
Reports to: Food Service Director, Manager-on-Duty, and Executive Director
Physical Job Requirements
To fulfill job requirements, employee must be able to perform key physical task for extended periods of time. Proper body mechanics and safety measures as prescribed by the residence must be used. In a typical eight- hour day, employee will:
- Stand/walk up to eight hours a day
- Sit up to two hours a day
- Frequently support up to 30 pounds
- Frequently lift/carry up to 50 pounds
- Frequently kneel, bend, and reach