The Cook will assist with the preparation, serving, and handling of food in accordance with federal and state regulations and the dietary program implemented by Oaks Senior Living policies and procedures. The Cook will maintain clean and sanitized dining service areas and assist in the receiving, rotation, and storage of products.
Food Preparation and Dining Service
1. Responsible for cooking and serving of food in accordance with nutritional guidelines, local
health department regulations, and resident’s individual prescribed diet and food preferences.
2. Ensure that food is delivered on time and in a pleasant manner and in accordance with Oaks Anytime Dining Program.
3. Responsible for the delivery of quality meals, snacks, special diets as directed by the facility.
4. Responsible for the presentation of food in an appetizing and attractive manner.
5. Assist in fostering residents’ independence with eating by providing adaptive equipment when needed.
6. Ensure that food is delivered on time and in a pleasant manner.
7. Prepare food and coordinate food service for special events as requested.
8. Notify Food Service Director or Lead Cook of any malfunctioning kitchen equipment or appliances.
9. Wash dishes and follow cleaning schedule.
Regulatory Compliance and Sanitation
1. Ensure compliance with local health department regulations and the Oaks Senior Living policies and procedures.
2. Maintain a clean, organized, and safe kitchen environment.
3. Ensure proper storage and handling o food in accordance with infection control standards.
4. Maintain CPR & First Aid certification.
Reports to: Food Service Director and Lead Cook
1. Experience in cooking for large groups.
2. Ability to read, write, and speak English.
3. Desire to work with older adults. Friendly, caring disposition.
4. Must be 18 years of age. Must have a satisfactory criminal history check.
5. Must have physical exam by a licensed physician. Must have a negative drug screen.
6. Must be able to react in an emergency situation.
1. State food handling and kitchen regulations
2. OSHA Standards
3. Fire and Safety Procedures
4. Operation of Kitchen Appliances
Physical Job Requirements:
To fulfill job requirements, employee must be able to perform key physical task for extended periods of time. Proper body mechanics and safety measures as prescribed by the residence must be used. In a typical eight- hour day, employee will:
1. Stand/walk up to eight hours a day
2. Sit up to two hours a day
3. Frequently support up to 30 pounds
4. Frequently lift/carry up to 50 pounds
5. Frequently kneel, bend, and reach
The job skills required for Cook include Food Preparation, Presentation, food handling, food service, etc. Having related job skills and expertise will give you an advantage when applying to be a Cook. That makes you unique and can impact how much salary you can get paid. Below are job openings related to skills required by Cook. Select any job title you are interested in and start to search job requirements.
The following is the career advancement route for Cook positions, which can be used as a reference in future career path planning. As a Cook, it can be promoted into senior positions as a Cook II that are expected to handle more key tasks, people in this role will get a higher salary paid than an ordinary Cook. You can explore the career advancement for a Cook below and select your interested title to get hiring information.
If you are interested in becoming a Cook, you need to understand the job requirements and the detailed related responsibilities. Of course, a good educational background and an applicable major will also help in job hunting. Below are some tips on how to become a Cook for your reference.
Step 1: Understand the job description and responsibilities of an Accountant.
Quotes from people on Cook job description and responsibilities
Fast Food Cooks also order and take charge in delivery of supplies.
01/29/2022: Chico, CA
Cooks must be able to follow directions given by the chef and from recipes.
02/12/2022: Schenectady, NY
Cooks need to present food that fits nicely on the plate, looks clean and appealing to the customer with appropriate garnishes and decorative elements.
02/23/2022: Saint Cloud, MN
Cooks need to understand orders and follow recipes to prepare dishes correctly.
02/06/2022: South Bend, IN
Some restaurant cooks may order supplies and help maintain the stock room.
02/14/2022: Poughkeepsie, NY
Step 2: Knowing the best tips for becoming an Accountant can help you explore the needs of the position and prepare for the job-related knowledge well ahead of time.
Career tips from people on Cook jobs
Cooks must demonstrate strong leadership and communication skills and have the ability to motivate others.
02/04/2022: Burlington, VT
Cooks can also gain experience at restaurants doing prep work and then work their way up to becoming a cook.
02/20/2022: Carson City, NV
Cooks usually work under the direction of chefs, head cooks, or food service managers.
02/04/2022: Parkersburg, WV
Most cooks learn their skills through on-the-job training and work-related experience.
02/13/2022: Kingsport, TN
On a daily basis, Fast Food Cooks operate large-volume cooking equipment, such as grills, deep-fat fryers, or griddles.
12/17/2021: Galveston, TX
Step 3: View the best colleges and universities for Cook.
For many organizations, a resume and cover letter are not enough for them to make a hiring decision. If this is the case, you may be asked to complete a job application as wellHow to Describe Your Education in a Resume
It takes time to build a resume. This is especially true if you choose to tailor your resume to each job you apply for.How to Write a Memorable Cover Letter in 5 Ways
There seem to be many different ways to mess up cover letters, and so many questions to ask. Is your cover letter formal or casual enough? Is it too long or too short?4 Personal Finance Tips to Make During Job Transition
A job transition is stressful, mainly if you're unsure of where you want to go. Besides a new position or company, you may also consider moving to another city or country to find work.4 Best Camera Setups for Interview
In the past few years, more companies switched to online interviews for their hiring process. About 86% of companies practice virtual interviews, which will most likely increase.Keeping a Job Search Journal: 9 Types of Journaling You Can Do
Job search journals can help capture your mood, disappointments, enthusiasm, discoveries, and connections during your job hunt.