A little about us…
Public Policy and Education Fund of New York is a statewide grassroots movement organization that fights for political, social, racial, economic and environmental justice. We work at the grassroots to give people a sense of their own power. We collaborate with organizations and coalitions in communities throughout New York to address critical issues at the local, state and federal levels. We work in close conjunction with the Public Policy and Education Fund and the Alliance for Quality Education.
We’re looking to add a Development Manager to our team. This position will report to the Co-Executive Director.
This dynamic, fast-paced role takes an individual with a strong work ethic and a desire to help others while furthering the movement. Success will require skills including supervision and team management, prioritization, organization and attention to detail, perseverance, and a solutions-oriented approach to the work. This is a supervisory position. In this role , you may be asked to travel throughout the state.
We take pride in hiring staff who share our values & characteristics.
- Passionate about issues of social, racial, economic and environmental justice
- Ability to think strategically and creatively to solve problems
- A high degree of professionalism and professional maturity
- Collaborative work style and demonstrated ability to work as part of a team and with people from a variety of different backgrounds
What you’ll do and the impact you'll make:
- Develop and implement a comprehensive written annual resource development plan with
strategies for donors and prospects in each region including: individuals, organizations, corporations
- Provide monthly reports to the ED and the board which measure progress towards achieving
- Broaden PPEF’s and Citizen Action’s fundraising by developing approaches such as planned giving, solicitation of bequests, and endowment programs
Grant requests and administration
- Identify and pursue new sources of corporate and foundation funding
- Assist Grants Manager with researching and writing grants
- Ensure timely reporting and compliance as required by grant award documentation
- Support Membership and Database Coordinator to create and implement strategies for donor development and cultivation which will provide a diverse and sustainable funding base
- Create and implement major gifts program, planned giving program, and regional membership giving program
- Build and maintain relationships with major donors of all types, develop strategies for
solicitation, and solicit or coordinate the solicitation by other staff, board or volunteers
- Work with the Communications Department to create and update collateral materials to support gift cultivation
- Oversee development and implementation of all aspects of direct donor mailings, appeal letters, and other donor mailings
- Ensure that the donor database information is current and accurate
- Acknowledgement of all gifts and donations
- Support the design of new events and manage or oversee all events
- Coordinate with the communications department to promote events to the regions and provide support to those regions that want to host an event.
- Work with appropriate staff and volunteers to ensure that all aspects of a successful event are
coordinated towards a common goal
- Develop and solicit sponsors for house parties and events as needed
- Write fundraising newsletter and appeals in coordination with the communications department
- Create marketing materials
- Build and sustain working relationships and communication with community associations;
issue area advocates and coalitions; business leaders; grant funders; schools, universities and youth groups; and other institutions.
Who you are and what you've accomplished:
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in fundraising.
- Provide leadership on all fundraising initiatives including special events, major gifts, planned giving, sponsorships, donor cultivation and grant writing.
- Identify, organize and manage the fundraising activities of the organization with a focus on new opportunities to obtain ongoing and increased support from corporations, public and private organizations, faith communities, and individuals.
- Collaborative team player who can both take and give leadership as well as self-motivated independent agent; maintains high degree of professionalism and confidentiality when handling sensitive information; highly organized and exceptionally detail-oriented; skilled at multitasking and able to work in a fast-paced environment with a keen sense of urgency.
- Verifiable history of dependability and trustworthiness.
- Must be comfortable using computer systems for tracking data and communicating.
- Great writing skills—able to produce compelling content in a timely manner; able to write effective narrative, clear action plans and to capture the stories of our work
- Consistent ability to manage and meet deadlines
- Strong commitment to racial, economic and social justice and enthusiasm about organizing for change
- Ability to multi-task and juggle competing priorities effectively
- Working collaboratively in an organization at the forefront of building power across NYS
- Competitive salary
- 100% paid employee monthly medical and vision premiums
- Access to mental health and dental plans
- 401(k) retirement plan
- Monthly cell phone stipend
- 12 organization-paid holidays, generous vacation
- Biannual statewide staff meetings
Salary: The salary range for this position is $67,500 - $73,440 depending on experience, with potential increases for equivalent experience. Relocation stipend available.
10% salary increase for NYC staff.
This position is remote in New York state.
Please note, all benefits are subject to change.
The Public Policy and Education Fund is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law, and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability. We are looking for the most passionate people who want to join our team. People of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
Applicants may be entitled to reasonable accommodations under the terms of the ADA and state/local laws. Please let us know if you need assistance participating in the interview process.