The Director of Engineering is responsible for planning and directing all aspects of engineering activities and projects within the organization in addition to product development processes. This position is responsible for the delivery of high-quality engineering deliverables, overseeing all engineering operations, and ensuring that proper engineering procedures are followed. This position ensures proper processes are in place, and that the engineering teams are properly aligned and staffed to execute all assigned work. This individual will determine the scope of work required for the engineering teams, thereby providing resource estimates, while identifying and filling any gaps through recruiting additional engineering staff as needed. This broad responsibility spans across the entire company (sales-marketing, operations, quality, production-manufacturing) to ensure that all engineering enterprises are correctly designed, implemented, aligned, and followed by everyone involved and transparent to all stakeholders.
Key Job Responsibilities:
• Owns all aspects of engineering work needed to complete tasks within the engineering roadmap (Process, Manufacturing, Materials, Design, NPD, Rapid Prototyping, Validation, Applications)
• Project management of highly complex, dynamic, and multi-leveled enterprises
• Ensure that both Engineering and Product Development Processes are understood and followed and completed in the most efficient manner possible
• Establish engineering policies and procedures for the team following best practices
• Ensure a high degree of quality of design specifications (user requirements, design inputs, system requirements, sub system requirements, design outputs) to meet business needs of the organization
• Ensure that all engineering teams are properly staffed for planned project work
• Ownership of all engineering guided plans and budgets to achieve stated goals and objectives
• Ownership of all engineering work standards.
• Understands the relationships needed between engineering, operations, quality and product management functions.
• Inspire, coach, train, and teach engineering team members. Manage performance of team members (annual performance reviews/goal setting).
Education and Experience Requirements:
• Bachelor of Science Degree in the Engineering field or related discipline. Advance degree in Engineering Management preferred.
• 10 years proven in developing, leading, mentoring, managing, and scaling all engineering teams
• 10 years’ experience in engineering leadership, production, manufacturing, materials science (polymers & metals), extrusion, automation/data acquisition, injection molding, and press design
• Proven leadership ability, team builder, team player and decision maker
• Driven with demonstrated experience in creating and implementing all development processes
• Successful track record of managing the development of products and systems from beginning to release
• Strong ability to balance technical and business requirements of all engineering tasks
• Desire to share information and support a transparent culture
• Expertise in complex statistical models, DOE’s, and accelerated aging methodology
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Excellent managerial and supervisory skills
• Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
• Extensive technical knowledge of engineering and product development
• Excellent financial skills and ability to analyze financial data
• Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (to include MS Project), AutoCAD, LabView, and PLC a plus
• Extensive project management experience
• Integrity, collaborative, and Independent
• Innovativeness & creativity
• Self-sufficient, self-driven, self-motivated, and self-starter
• Adaptability, and ability to think through complex issues and solve problems
The job skills required for Director of Engineering include Leadership, Project Management, Responsibility, Product Development, Engineering Management,and Mentoring etc. Having related job skills and expertise will give you an advantage when applying to be a Director of Engineering. That makes you unique and can impact how much salary you can get paid. Below are job openings related to skills required by Director of Engineering. Select any job title you are interested in and start to search job requirements.
If you are interested in becoming a Director of Engineering, you need to understand the job requirements and the detailed related responsibilities. Of course, a good educational background and an applicable major will also help in job hunting. Below are some tips on how to become a Director of Engineering for your reference.