Job Title: Human Resources Manager
Job Region: Oregon / SW Washington
Reports-To: Area HR Manager
Exemption Status (typically): Exempt
Requirements: As a retail grocer, we operate 7 days/week and 365 days/year and as such work in support of our stores may include evening and weekend hours per the needs of the business. Valid Driver License and vehicle required, with ability to travel regularly to company locations and other off-site locations throughout the region.
About us: New Seasons Market began in 2000 when three families got together to open a neighborhood market, a place where local communities can come together to connect with where their food comes from. A friendly, inviting place that honors its region’s farmers, ranchers, growers and makers—helping them prosper for generations to come. Over the years, our community has grown, but our goal is still the same: to build community through good food.
About the role: Provides support to store staff in all HR functional areas. Serves as a resource to store leadership to create a healthy atmosphere where all staff can thrive, feel valued, experience job satisfaction, and have opportunities to grow their careers. This is a management / leadership position. You are responsible for providing leadership in line with company values and promoting a positive and progressive work environment in alignment with our company mission, vision values and policies.
- Understands and models our company culture. Acts as a steward of company resources, mission, vision and values. Promotes sustainable business practices.
- Embraces and agile work environment and guides others through change and continuous improvement.
- Builds community within and outside of New Seasons Market and New Leaf Community Markets. Works in stores and other offsite events and locations as needed to support our core business and community.
- Works cooperatively and positively with fellow team members, customers and vendors spiriting a respectful workplace where everyone is welcome.
- Demonstrates ability to manage own time and models a flexible work style. Shifts tasks as priorities and circumstances change based on needs and conditions of the company and / or location. Creative with problem-solving and is solutions-oriented.
- Utilizes strategic thinking, data and industry knowledge, and calculated risk-taking to create competitive advantage.
- Understands group dynamics in order to foster a positive and collaborative work environment. Develops strong and engaged teams and internal partnerships.
- Plans for the future by setting clear and attainable goals.
- Communication style is confident, informative, adaptive to different styles and effective.
- Gives and receives feedback in a constructive manner demonstrating company Speak Up culture.
- Maintains confidentiality and exercises good judgment around sensitive information.
- Adheres to work and food safety policies set forth by the company and all local, state and federal regulatory agencies. Contributes to store and office cleanliness, maintains equipment.
- Observes all company rules and policies. Understands and complies with specific department or location guidelines, tasks and responsibilities.
- Establishes a professional relationship with each staff member in the store. Works to build community among staff, and with department managers.
- Works collaboratively to maintain a harmonious work environment and resolve staff complaints and other workplace issues. Communicates in a professional and constructive manner.
- Assists staff with questions and directs to appropriate resources. Responds to staff issues and conducts workplace investigations.
- Engages external customers in a friendly manner, shares information, assists in locating products or resources, and seeks opportunities to enhance the customer experience.
- Ensures application of HR policies and procedures are consistent.
- Ensures proper documentation and storage of all employee relations issues at location.
- Engages with store leaders in monitoring, preparing, supporting and delivering of progressive discipline process proactively including corrective actions and up to termination, including reviewing all written corrective actions prior to delivery.
- Coaches store leaders on approaches to motivating and challenging their teams, to ensure high staff performance, engagement and accountability. Mentors managers on team development, individual performance and building capacity for growth.
- Works with store leadership team to ensure staff member performance reviews are well-written, delivered effectively and delivered timely.
- Helps write the store's Speak Up survey action plan, and helps communicate and check in on plan throughout year.
- Proactively plan to manage how the impact of changes in the store will have on staff, and identify potential reactions and staff needs.
- Consults with store leadership and hiring managers on recruitment need, encourages and promoted diversity and equity in all aspects in hiring practice and process.
- Works with Recruiting team on support strategy for specific location.
- Manages job postings from open to close, including but not limited to closing out requisitions, assigning onboarding packets, scheduling for company orientation, audits and exports of new hires and processing of paperwork to Admin / Payrol for internal transfers.
- Coaches and trains hiring managers on recruiting process, including candidate selection, interviewing, providing interview feedback, selection and offer process.
- Screens resumes / profiles, conducts pre-screen interviews and proactively builds a pipeline of qualified candidates for entry-level through department manager positions.
- Participates in job fairs and local community events to attract diverse talent to location.
- Responsible for all in-store Day Two Orientations, including scheduling and facilitating or organizing additional support.
- Regularly conducts 60-day staff check-ins with new hires.
- Partners with Training and Development team to assess and determining location specific training needs and utilizes resources available.
- Administers Taleo Learn in accordance with individual learn plans for completion.
- Coordinates with managers in activities to develop staff, including additional training, career pathing, cross-training initiatives and enrollment in larger company training courses.
- Supports in store talent management and succession planning. Monitors and influences development plans for staff at all levels.
- Assists staff members and their managers with the leaves process (FMLA, Military, Personal, etc.). Manages leaves for location. Conducts audits, tracks and administers leaves and employee eligibility.
- Coordinates communication with staff, manages timelines, and coordination of all parties.
- Communicates with staff regarding benefits orientations and annual Open Enrollment.
- Shows a keen understanding of all NSM benefit plans and supports staff with questions.
- Following leave of absence administration procedure, running the bi-weekly reports and ensuring accurate leave coding in HRIS.
- Tracks and administers workers' compensation in accordance with company and state requirements.
- Follows up with staff on claims, including managing Modified Duty assignments and Return to Work. Completes EAIPs to offset the cost of Modified Duty assignments.
- Ensures OSHA 300 logs are accurate and up to date.
- Represents store regarding unemployment insurance claims, including hearings.
- Oversees and ensures audits of all new hire paperwork and accurate completion of all new hire data entry in HRIS systems.
- Assists with, processes and e-files staff paperwork including Personnel Action Forms, Corrective Actions and Termination documents. Ensures required paperwork is retained per legal and company requirements.
- Reads and understands HR emails and updates. Maintains awareness of current HR projects. Communicates with staff to ensure critical HR and company information is shared.
- Tools and Equipment Used (not all inclusive): This position works with standard office equipment. May be required to use the following tools and equipment when working in stores or offsite; baler, hand truck, POS, industrial kitchen equipment (i.e. blast chiller, grill, knives/blades, oven, grills, scales, etc.) and basic housekeeping / janitorial items.
- This position works consistently at a light work level and may be asked to work on occasion at a medium or heavy work level when supporting stores or other offsite events. Frequently required to sit, walk, reach and grasp. Occasionally required to be on feet with a mix of standing and walking throughout shift. Up to occasionally, dependent on location, required to climb stairs, step stool and /or ladders.
- Performs other tasks and duties as assigned.
This job description is not meant to be an all-inclusive list of duties, responsibilities and requirements, but constitutes a general definition of the position's scope and function within our company. New Seasons Market / New Leaf Community Markers reserves the right to amend and change duties, responsibilities, and requirements to meet changing industry or business needs as necessary.
What you Bring as a Candidate:
- Minimum of 4 years of Human Resources specific or relevant experience required.
- Previous food and/or grocery specific industry experience preferred. Experience in a multi-unit, high growth retail or similar environment required.
- Knowledge of federal, state and local labor laws required.
- Employee relations experience with skills to manage difficult staff interactions required.
- Experience working or engaging with diverse workforces. Multi-lingual a plus.
- Previous supervisory or management level experience required.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Human Resources, Business Administration or related fields required, however relevant work experience in lieu of formal education is acceptable.
- Mid-level proficiency with MS Office. Working knowledge of timekeeping, HRIS and applicant tracking system software or other retail specific software preferred. Skills to learn new computer programs and systems.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including tact and diplomacy, to collaborate, negotiate and communicate effectively and professionally with cross-functional partners at all levels in the company.
- Demonstrated leadership skills with problem-solving, project management and execution of initiatives across multiple locations and regions.
- Proven experience driving and executing strategic initiatives, policies, programs and projects that achieve measurable business results.
- Demonstrated ability to influence others without the benefit of authority.
- Maintains the highest level of confidentiality and discretion.
Physical and Environmental Work Space: Work occurs in office, a variety of off-site environments and in a grocery store environment which includes surfaces that can be wet and slippery, moderate noise level, and temperature extremes in controlled environments in the cooler and freezer, and depending on location, working outside in all temperatures. There may be exposure to certain allergens and / or chemicals. In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the ADA Amendments Act of 2008, and other applicable state or local law, we will make reasonable accommodations to qualified applicants and employees with disabilities.