Morgan Advanced Materials is a world leader in advanced materials science and engineering of ceramics, carbon and composites. We operate in a series of well-defined markets where our applications expertise offers our customers a valuable differentiator, engineering high-specification materials, components and sub-assembly parts that solve their challenging technical problems.
The Technical Ceramics business of Morgan Advanced Materials engineers high performance functional and structural ceramic materials, components and sub-assemblies to address customer-specific technical challenges.
The business employs advanced materials science and applications expertise to produce parts that enhance reliability or improve the performance of its customers’ products. Much of what the global business unit makes is used in demanding, harsh or critical environments. Our Technical Ceramics business works in selected segments of the electronics, energy, healthcare, industrial, petrochemicals, security and transport markets, typically in close collaborative customer relationships.
Group Key Figures: Revenue £950m (2021), ~7,500 employees, manufacturing in 30 countries, and customers in 100 countries. A UK PLC with head office located in Windsor, Berkshire UK. Listed on London Stock Exchange; Member of the FTSE 250 Index.
The Production Planner reports to the Supply Chain Manager and is responsible for the production planning schedules, inventory management, and customer service alignment. Supports SIOP through reports reflecting progress against schedules, resource constraints, and recommendations to improve/optimize outcomes. Drives ERP system utilization and maintains ERP master data/MRP data integrity, inclusive of routings and bill of material accuracy.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Facilitate the maintenance of accurate inventory, including storage location proposals. Coordinate and participate in inventory cycle counting and annual physical inventory according to objectives and communicate results.
- Review slow-moving and blocked inventory and facilitate disposition on a monthly basis
- Manage and maintain inventory levels versus customer demand, ensuring uninterrupted supply of parts while maintaining days on hand goal levels.
- Analyzes forecasted demand to ensure safety stock and strategic inventory levels on finished goods are maintained.
- Execute Material Requirements Planning (MRP) and the management of a weekly/daily Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) production schedules to satisfy customer demand, achieve desired stocking levels, and maintain flow of work on the factory floor.
- Communicate plan/schedule to all stakeholders. Analyzes deviations from schedules as to their nature, the reasons for schedule variance, their cost implications, the impact on the immediate tasks, the impact on the total program and the corrective action to be taken.
- Coordinates, as appropriate, quality matters and engineering changes/developments between operations, quality assurance (QA), and suppliers
- Collaborates across production sites to ensure fulfillment of interplant requirements.
- Improves planning effectiveness & capacity analysis via development and/or enhancement of data-driven planning models, processes, and tools.
SIOP & Customer Service Support
- Collaborate and initiate communications with customer service, production, warehouse, procurement, and logistics to align on forecast and order quantities.
- Advises management of the status of work in progress, material availability, inventory levels, and potential production or material supply disruptions to ensure that personnel, equipment, materials, and services are provided on-time and at an optimal cost.
- Model "what-if" scenarios and propose optimized solutions based on variable supply/demand conditions.
- Interface with contract managers, CSR’s, Sales, and Customers as needed to review schedules, delays, and recovery plans
- Assists in development of prospective customer product configurations and works with Cost Estimator to provide an estimated bill of material cost to support the quotation process.
- Obtain data, participate and present metrics and countermeasures in daily management process & production meetings (DGAs)
- Participate as required in 'problem solving teams, kaizen events, cross functional committees, and multi-discipline initiatives.
- Understands and actively participate in Environmental, Health & Safety (EHS) responsibilities by following established EHS policies, procedures, training, and team member involvement activities. Responsible for the ownership of at least one EHS element for the site.
The above is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities required. Other duties may be assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Data Science, Supply Chain Management, Business Administration or related field, or equivalent work experience.
- 3-7 years’ experience in scheduling position with extensive demonstrated success of implementing & operationalizing master schedules.
- Be capable of utilizing spreadsheet and ERP-type software in managing the planning process.
- Exceptional interpersonal/written communication skills; can effectively interact with all levels of management
- APICS Certified in Production and Inventory Management (CPIM) or APICS Certified Supply chain Professional (CSCP) a plus
- Lean or Green Belt Six Sigma certification a plus.
Competency framework - Skills, attitudes & behaviours necessary to be competent in the role
- Strategic capability: Makes the connections to see the underlying trends – “the big picture”.
- Problem analysis: Quickly discerns key facts and differentiates between relevant and irrelevant information.
- Judgement: Demonstrates a sound process for weighing options and making decisions. Prepared to challenge the status quo and take calculated risks.
- Creative thinking: Generates unique and appropriate solutions, when required.
- Drive and resilience: Demonstrates motivation. Is flexible and able to adapt styles to deliver results. Is comfortable with ambiguity.
- Execution: Can demonstrate a proven ability to deliver on programs and projects. Is a self-starter with a can-do attitude.
- Empathy: Is personable, authentic and emotionally aware.
- Influencing: Is an excellent communicator. Has strong interpersonal skills and builds lasting relationships. Can influence and persuade others through a range of techniques.
- Shares our values: Is ambitious, innovative and demonstrates integrity.
Morgan Advanced Materials plc is a global engineering company headquartered in Windsor, UK and listed on the London Stock Exchange.
The company is a world-leader in advanced materials science and engineering of ceramics, carbon and composites. We operate in a series of well-defined markets where our applications expertise offers our customers a valuable differentiator, engineering high-specification materials, components and sub-assembly parts that solve their challenging technical problems.
Morgan Advanced Materials is an EEO/AA/M/W/D/V Employer