Under general supervision the temporary Referral Navigator, manages, processes, tracks, and closes referrals for Marin Community Clinic patients. The Referral Navigator is responsible for main call center phone lines, coordinates appointments for urgent cases, and advocate on behalf of patients when needed. The Referral Navigator seeks guidance from nurses and providers as needed for clinical resources. This position provides extensive support to providers and patients.
Temporary assignment period: 6 Months
Work schedule: Monday to Friday 8:00am to 5:00pm.
All employees are required to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 and boosted as a condition of employment, subject to limited exemptions. New Employees are required to provide proof of being fully vaccinated for COVID-19 and boosted before the first day of employment. Exemptions to this requirement will be considered for those requesting an exemption on medical, disability, or religious grounds.
- Follows-up on pending lab reports, x-rays, appointments, or other planned evaluations and treatments as needed to coordinate referrals.
- Coordinates and schedules all types of diagnostic or screening testing as requested by specialists or PCPs.
- Reviews and explains exam preparations to patients.
- Asks questions and ensures explanations are understood.
- Tracks and follows up on status of all pending authorizations, appointments, applications, insurance eligibility and referrals.
- Processes referrals and schedules appointments with specialists within a timely manner.
- Informs providers if there are any unusual delays.
- Sends complete referral packets to various specialists’ offices.
- Attends to regularly scheduled RC and All Staff meetings as scheduled by the Referral Department Manager.
- Responds to communications sent to the Referral Department by the clinics’ staff.
- Completes applications for organizations such as Operation Access, Cancer Detection Program, Lions Eye Foundation, and Indigent Drug Program, among others.
- Requests prior authorizations from: Partnership Health Plan, Medi-Cal, Covered CA plans among others.
- Keeps track of the referrals on a log, which is regularly reviewed by the Referral Department Manager.
- Closes referrals previously processed by requesting medical records from the offices and facilities where the patients where served.
- Maintains relationships with specialists and other outside partners.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's Degree and/or equivalent experience/training.
- Medical assistant or other support staff role experience in a medical facility setting with at least 2 years’ experience preferred.
- Bilingual Spanish highly desired but not required.
- Experience with EPIC Electronic Health Records a plus.
- Knowledge of medical terminology a plus.
- Ability to read and interpret medical records in English.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to chart actions clearly.
- Ability to work with patients and representatives of other organizations on the phone.
- Must be sensitive to multi-cultural, multi-ethnic issues.
- Must be able to work in team environment setting.
- Strong customer service skills.
- Strong attention to detail ability.
MCC is an equal opportunity employer. We enthusiastically accept our responsibility to make employment decisions without regard to race, religious creed, color, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, religion, marital status, medical condition, disability, military service, pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions, or any other classification protected by federal, state, and local laws and ordinances.