TITLE: Chief Financial Officer
CLASSIFICATION: Administrative – Exempt
COMPENSATION: $75,000 to $95,000 (depending on experience)
REPORTS TO: Chief Executive Officer (CEO)/Superintendent for Estrella Educational Foundation (EFF)
SUMMARY: The Chief Financial Officer (CFO) will collaborate with the CEO/Superintendent, Headmaster, Directors, and Collaborative Partners, Community Stakeholders, District Board and Senior Leadership to design and implement the business and operational strategies which will be required to share, sustain and scale innovative and effective programs and practices. The CFO shares responsibility to create and ensure the ongoing development of internal and external partnership capacities necessary to support a new and rapidly growing organization and is accountable for leading and managing the finance, accounting, compliance, administration, and human resources functions of the organization. The CFO will ensure that cost-effective operations and infrastructure are in place and properly managed to support the organization and its mission and will coordinate implementation of the business plan across all work streams.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Develop and maintain productive relationships with the CEO/Superintendent, Board of Directors, and other leadership members in the development and execution of annual and long-term plans to ensure timely and sustainable execution.
- Develop and maintain productive relationships with funders and stakeholders and participate in fund development, ensuring the organization is represented professionally to all concerned parties.
- Create and manage project work plans and budgets; control expenditures and balances based on year to date budget vs. actuals, budget balances upon requests, annual and project budgets
- Supervise external vendors and consultants as appropriate
- Work with the CEO/Superintendent and Board of Directors on financial planning, analysis and business modeling
- Lead and manage the accounting and finance to enhance processes and procedures which empower schools and not encumber them
- Lead and manage the non-instructional departments of EEF charter school network including site services, food service, school district partnerships, contract management, legal services, IT, Human Resources and others as established
- Oversee finances and management of financial transactions, including accounts payable and receivable, banking, investments and payroll functions.
- Lead the annual budget process and provide budget to actual performance results to the schools, leadership and the Board of Directors. Budget process will include operational and capital budgets
- CFO will provide leadership and oversight of EEFs compliance function assuring that the organization and each of its schools has the support to remain compliant with all authorizer, state and federal requirements
- Provide leadership for all aspects of EEF’s financial management, including supporting the CEO/Superintendent, Board of Directors, Headmaster, Collaborative Partnership Stakeholders, and Directors in setting organizational priorities and decision-making in all strategic and tactical matters related to budgets and multi-year plans.
- Work with ASBCS (Arizona School Board for Charter Schools) and ADE (Arizona Department of Education) and ensure all Financial Platforms meet Arizona State and Federal Charter Finance standard.
- Prepare and coordinate the preparation of Board Meeting agenda items and related back-up materials, public notices and documents including correspondence, reports, proposals, documents and exhibits
- Develop Accounting Procedures Manual, standardizing all policies and procedures
- Strategize ways in which EEF can improve fiscal efficiency and effectiveness, including researching and implementing technology upgrades to better support budget management
Qualifications, Competencies & Strengths:
- Certified Public Accountant License
- Valid IVP Fingerprint Clearance Card
- Possession of a Valid Arizona Driver’s License
- 5 years of significant work experience with organizations as a CFO or Director of Finance with non-profit or education organization
- Fully experienced in operational finance/accounting as well as a strategic capital structure/financing decisions
- Experience in identifying economic and demographic trends and regulatory issues
- Proficiency in management accounting software, payroll systems and procurement systems from selection to alignment to implementation
- Motivated, energetic leader with a passion for advancing educational excellence and equality
- School start-up or charter school experience preferred
- Highly organized and detail oriented
- A track record of working toward a set of goals and metrics – meeting them.
- Demonstrated ability to bring together cross-functional teams to accomplish common goals.
- Excellent customer service orientation and high degree of professionalism with a range of stakeholders
- Ability to communicate effectively with and build consensus among people of varied backgrounds and experiences
- Mastery of managing competing demands and quickly determining top priorities within a large-scale project
- Ability to create, adjust, and implement strategic work plans
- Willingness to share own ideas amongst staff, stakeholders and board members
- Project finance and project management experience. Direct knowledge and experience with fund accounting is desirable.
- Excellent presentation and communication skills. Open-minded thinker. Effective team player. Strong leadership, facilitation and coaching skills, proactive, and able to reach out throughout the organization.
- Strong planning skills and experience interpreting a strategic vision into an operational model.
- Comprehensive understanding of how to develop financial models for sustainability and efficiency to utilize all available resources including grants management for cash flow cycling.
- Extreme flexibility with a strong work ethic and an entrepreneurial spirit to accommodate high level of responsibility and multiple priorities.
- Ability to work in a fluid environment and with a wide range of constituents, including board members, school personnel and vendors in order to establish a culture of support, compliance, accountability and performance.
- Physical functions: Requires but is not limited to standing, sitting, repetitious hand and body movements, bending, squatting, and reaching. May be required to move or position equipment up to 15 pounds approximately.
- Travel required: May need to travel locally.
- This description reflects management’s assignment of essential functions; it does not exclude or restrict the tasks that may be assigned.
- The working environment is fast paced, focused on student achievement, and revolves around positive staff and community. The working environment is primarily an office setting with some travel between partnered schools and school district.
TERMS OF EMPLOYEMENT:
- Twelve-month position, Administrative – Exempt, At-Will; benefits in accordance with Board Policies.
- Performance to be evaluated in accordance with Board policy on evaluation of administrative staff.
- Health Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Retirement Plan
- Paid Leave Days
- To apply, please apply online at www.MITglobalonline.org
- The position will remain open until filled. If your skills are a match, we will contact you to schedule a phone interview, followed by an in-person interview with members of our team
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER:
EEF is an equal opportunity employer. We will not discriminate and will take affirmative action measures to ensure against discrimination in employment, recruitment, advertisements for employment, compensation, termination, upgrading, promotions, and other conditions of employment against any employee or job applicant on the bases of race, color, gender, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, veteran's status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression.