Supervises and coordinates service center activities in local area, including the pick-up and delivery, shoreside operations, related paperwork, communications, safety and hazardous materials handling compliance, and customer service activities that meets the expectations and needs of customers and clients. This position also influences the Cordova Providers Schedule based off of demand in the Prince William Sound region.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: Other duties may be assigned to support the department or other departments as time allows.
- Safety is Lynden’s first responsibility to our employees and our customers. This position is a safety-sensitive position and the ability to work in a constant state of alertness and safe manner is required.
- Supervises and develops plans for efficient use of materials, equipment, and employees.
- Attendance and timeliness are essential functions for this position.
- Responsible for the planning and coordination of all site operations including the sharing of information between other ports, terminals, and departments in order to facilitate safe, efficient, and cost-effective service.
- Works with local vendors, contractors, and other AMT managers as well as representatives of Alaska Marine Lines, Bering Marine, Lynden Transport, Alaska West Express, Western Towboat, and other freight/transportation companies in order to achieve high quality system-wide performance.
- Responsible for all activities related to hiring, training, evaluation, development, promotion, discipline, and discharge of personnel.
- Drives truck in remote, environmentally sensitive area in Alaska.
- Complies with all company safety policies and Fit for Work policy, including use of personal protective equipment (PPE).
- Performs customer service activities, such as tracking and reporting to the customer the status of their freight shipments, charges and services performed, and obtaining proof of delivery.
- Operates all company vehicles and equipment in a safe and professional manner.
- Interprets and ensures compliance with company and corporate policies, as well as those policies dictated by DOT, DOL, OSHA, and other regulatory agencies.
- Reviews all accident reports and initiates follow-up measures as prescribed by company and/or corporate policy; coordinates emergency and/or corrective response activities as necessary.
- Analyzes job requirements, personnel needs, working conditions, work processes and goals; implements process changes to produce superior customer service and promote efficiencies.
- Receive, unload, stage, and load freight shipments to and from truck trailers and/or Alaska Marine Lines barges and barge landing using yard bull.
- Operate up to 92,500# capacity forklift to receive and move freight according to federal regulations governing the shipment and storage of hazardous materials.
- Count and verify containerized freight shipments against various documents including weekly inbound barge manifests and stow unit listings.
- Inspect and review shipping/receiving/unloading/loading documents to ensure proper handling and routing of inbound and outbound freight shipments.
- Inspects truck, truck equipment, and trailers for readiness of all equipment and components such as tires, lights, bras, suspensions, hydraulic system, fuel, oil and water, for defects before and after trips, and submits reports indicating truck and trailer(s) condition. Fuels, torques lug nuts, and assists in repairs when necessary. Maintains truck cleanliness.
- Performs emergency roadside duties such as changing fuses or light bulbs. Possesses mechanical aptitude necessary to determine plan of action in emergency type situations with direction of mechanics via radio.
- May be required to hook and unhook trailers as well as crank landing gear or turning large screw jacks.
- Steers, moves levers with hands and feet, shifts gears, and presses pedals to drive and control movement of truck and other equipment.
- Ability to carry, install, and maintain heavy-duty chains throughout the Winter Season and in accordance with customer safety guidelines.
- Possess a willingness to follow direct orders and to adhere to policies and procedures.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must possess mechanical inclination and be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Attendance and timeliness are essential functions of this position; employee customarily works at least 40 hours/week on a planned continuous basis. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Manages staff of employees engaged in customer service, trucking, stevedoring, maintenance, warehousing, and administrative departments.
- Responsible for overall direction, coordination, and evaluation of these units.
- Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with company and corporate policies and applicable laws.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
Bachelor’s Degree (B.A.) or equivalent from a four-year college or university or five or more year’s related experience and/or training, or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Extensive experience driving tractor-trailer in many different environments. Six months or more of driving experience with a Class A commercial vehicle which includes heavy snow, icy road conditions, and muddy slippery environments. Familiarity with the proper operation of low RPM diesel engines and/or agree to an expectation to learn.
Ability to read, interpret, and write documents such as bills of ladings, tariffs, delivery receipts, military documents, procedure manuals, employee and safety rules and manuals, operating and maintenance instructions, procedure manuals, and routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively and clearly with customers, vendors, managers, and other employees. Strong communication skills both verbally and in written form.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, area, circumference, volume, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios and proportions to practical solutions.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, AND REGISTRATIONS:
Employee must meet Department of Transportation’s requirements. They must have a Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) with Class A, Air, Doubles, Tank, and HazMat endorsements.
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to understand detailed written and oral instructions; ability to prioritize and problem-solve in time/safety-sensitive situations; ability to read and understand wire and hydraulic schematics.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed written or oral instructions, and the ability to prioritize and problem-solve in time/safety-sensitive situations.
- Ability to organize and follow through to completion projects and tasks assigned or assumed; ability to provide objective and decisive action(s) necessary to resolve any/all issues with minimal disruption to operational performance.
- Must have working knowledge of computer programs: Sutwik, Navigator, and Microsoft Windows, Excel, Word, Visio and Outlook.
- Must have proven supervisory skills.
- Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment and handle demanding customers’ needs.
- Hazardous materials training.
- Detail oriented, good interpersonal skills, and organizational skills.
- Must be flexible to work extended hours and adaptable to change.
- Must have the ability to work well under pressure.
- Ability to maintain accurate records and reports in the provided maintenance software.
- Must be capable of working with little or no supervision as well as working as part of a team.
- Good public relations skills are a must.
Ability to organize, implement, and follow through to completion projects and tasks assigned or assumed; ability to provide direction to others; ability to provide objective and decisive action(s) necessary to resolve any/all issues with minimal disruption to operational performance.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job; reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job the employee is regularly required to sit, stand, walk, talk and hear while communicating with customers, drivers and co-workers during the normal course of daily activities; the employee is occasionally required to stoop, kneel, or crouch while inspecting vehicles and other equipment.
- The employee is regularly required to use hands, arms and fingers to perform the normal duties of the job such as inspecting equipment, entering computer data, manipulate objects, tools, or operate controls.
- Employee must be able to use eyes, hands and fingers to keyboard, operate phones, fax, radios, and other office machinery.
- The employee is regularly required to hear, speak, and listen while communicating with telephones, radios and in person with customers and coworkers.
- The employee must possess close, distance, peripheral and depth perception.
- The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance and stoop, kneel or crouch around equipment and facilities.
- The employee may occasionally be required to move or lift up to 50 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus during the normal course of the job.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job; reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee works near moving mechanical parts. The employee is regularly exposed to fumes, airborne particles, vibration, toxic or caustic chemicals, wet, and/or humid conditions and occasionally works in high, precarious places.
- The employee occasionally works in an environment with a risk of electric shock.
- The noise level in the work environment ranges from moderate to loud. Hearing PPE is required to be worn during times when the noise level is increased due to work being performed in the work area.
- The employee is occasionally exposed to outside weather conditions, including incremental Arctic cold conditions and extreme heat and cold.
A post-conditional offer of successfully passing an employment drug test and background investigation are required.
This job description is not an employment agreement or contract. Management has the exclusive right to alter this job description at any time without notice.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Alaska Marine Trucking is an equal opportunity employer.