FULL-TIME JOB VACANCY
New York Office
Application Deadline: October 5, 2022
The Finance Division of Human Rights Watch (“HRW”) is seeking a Payroll Administrator to process HRW’s US payroll and assist the Finance Division with various accounting tasks. The Finance Division is led by the Director of Finance and Administration and is responsible for providing fiscal management, implementing financial strategy, and maintaining the fiscal integrity of HRW. The Payroll Administrator reports to the Associate Director, who is based in New York. The Payroll Administrator will preferably be based in the New York tri-state area.
Due to COVID-19, many of our global offices are operating in reduced capacities. The successful candidate may work remotely, but may be required to work from the New York office a couple times a month. We recognize that this moment, during the pandemic, is a uniquely difficult time for most people, particularly those with caregiving responsibilities, and we aim to be as flexible and supportive as possible in both the recruitment for and onboarding of this position.
1. Prepare and process all United States payroll of more than 200 employees;
2. Prepare remittance of payroll liability payments, including 403B plan, union dues, salary reduction agreements (SRA), long-term disability (LTD), New York Sports Club (NYSC), etc.;
3. Review monthly payroll processing for other offices to ensure timely and accurate processing of payroll;
4. Ensure accurate and timely processing of payroll updates including new hires, termination and payroll rate changes;
5. Manage the end-to-end payroll process including federal, state and local requirements by studying exiting and new legislation;
6. Prepare and process accounting journals recording US payroll entries;
7. Calculate monthly payroll for non-US employees that are paid via wire transfer;
8. Reconcile accurate and timely quarterly and year-end reporting (W-2, W-2c, 941, etc.);
9. Assist Global Controller with the fiscal year-end audit, 403B and workers’ compensation insurance audit, and charitable registrations;
10. Reconcile data and prepare accounting analyses as assigned by Associate Director and Global Controller;
11. Respond to inquiries from employees related to paycheck, tax deductions and other payroll related matters in a timely manner;
12. Deliver outputs in a timely manner and be consistent with the agreed strategy and priorities of the Finance Division; and
13. Perform additional responsibilities as required by the Associate Director or Global Controller.
Education: A bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience in Accounting, Business Administration, or a related field is required.
Experience: A minimum of three years of experience in payroll processing, reporting, and account analysis, preferably in multiple US jurisdictions, is required.
Related Skills and Knowledge:
1. Extensive knowledge of payroll functions including preparation, reconciling, and payroll taxes.
2. Solid experience with general accounting and bookkeeping is required.
3. Prior experience with nonprofit software such as NetSuite and third-party payroll software such as Ultimate Software / UKG is highly desirable.
4. Strong computer knowledge including advanced skills with Microsoft Excel and a highly developed understanding of spreadsheet and database systems are required.
5. Excellent time-management skills, strong attention to detail, ability to prioritize tasks, and ability to work independently with minimal supervision, as well as function as a member of a team are required.
6. Strong interpersonal skills and ability to communicate with all levels of staff in order to work collaboratively within HRW are required.
7. Ability to work with staff in remote locations and in a diverse and multinational environment is required.
8. Capacity to appropriately plan and manage multiple, sometimes competing demands efficiently in a challenging, fast-paced environment is required.
9. Strong analytical skills and ability to solve problems creatively are required.
10. Strong oral and written communications skills in English are required.
11. Prior experience working in nonprofit/NGO global accounting operation is desirable.
Salary and Benefits: HRW seeks exceptional applicants and offers competitive compensation and employer-paid benefits. HRW offers a relocation assistance package and will assist employees in obtaining necessary work authorization, if required; people of all nationalities are encouraged to apply.
How to Apply: Please apply immediately or by October 5, 2022 by visiting our online job portal at careers.hrw.org and attaching a letter of interest and CV or resume. No calls or email inquiries, please. Only complete applications will be reviewed and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
If you are experiencing technical difficulties with your application submission, or if you require accommodations during the application process, please email email@example.com. Due to the large response, application submissions via email will not be accepted and inquiries regarding the status of applications will go unanswered.
Human Rights Watch is strong because it is diverse. We actively seek a diverse applicant pool and encourage candidates of all backgrounds to apply. Human Rights Watch does not discriminate on the basis of disability, age, gender identity and expression, national origin, race and ethnicity, religious beliefs, sexual orientation, or criminal record. We welcome all kinds of diversity. Our employees include people who are parents and nonparents, the self-taught and university educated, and from a wide span of socio-economic backgrounds and perspectives on the world. Human Rights Watch is an equal opportunity employer.
Human Rights Watch is an international human rights monitoring and advocacy organization known for its in-depth investigations, its incisive and timely reporting, its innovative and high-profile advocacy campaigns, and its success in changing the human rights-related policies and practices of influential governments and international institutions.
The job skills required for Payroll Administrator include Accounting, Payroll Processing, Attention to Detail, Written Communication, Time Management,and Payroll Software etc. Having related job skills and expertise will give you an advantage when applying to be a Payroll Administrator. That makes you unique and can impact how much salary you can get paid. Below are job openings related to skills required by Payroll Administrator. Select any job title you are interested in and start to search job requirements.